Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:48 AM

8 posts, read 44,271 times

Advertisements

everyone feels like LA is right for them .....:P but more often it turns out not to be :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 04:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,330 times
Thank you for all the replies, I think the best will be that this or next summer I'll try to move to LA for a month to check the place and have a bite of the life going around over there. Than i can start building up a plan If i decide that I really wanna move over.

Could anyone help me estimate how much would it cost to go there for a month? I'd like to pick a place close to the coast, like Santa Monica,Venice but it doesn't necessary have to be inside LA city bounds. Ofc best would be If I had friends over LA but i don't.

Btw ofc I'm not going to go to the USA illegally and work under the table, right now in hungary I have a good family background, we are not exactly the richest but we are more wealthy than the avarge with my father being a plastical surger (sadly in hungary for an american you would shocked how little a doctor earns comapred to other more developed countries) but we would live quite well If we didn't have a loan on our, what you would call "real estate. If I'M moving to the USA I'll only do that with the right paperwork, probably my best shot in the very near future is the 2011 visa lottery, as i saw around 200-300 hungarians are granted a green card with that program every year.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:37 PM

694 posts, read 1,232,868 times
Hi LA dream,

One month stay in LA could go for $5000, including air fair, if you get a good deal in advance on a room and are overall conservative with your money. It might make for a lovely vacation.
However, a vacation will not exactly give you an accurate idea about how your life would be as an LA resident unless you could always afford a $3000-$4000 monthly budget.

Also, the story on the more affordable community colleges might be a little different now than represented in a couple of previous posts. Due to the escalating tuition costs for private and public universities and the drastic state budgetary cuts for higher education, community colleges are now flooded with applications and forced to turn away many applicants, enlarge classes and limit the overall number of offered programs. And even community colleges keep increasing their tuition.
Anyway, community colleges are not able to offer the kind of reputable education that would make you competitive in a future job market as I assume that your father, the plastic surgeon, expects you to have.

So you consider yourself down to earth, LA dream.
The question to ask yourself though is how down to earth an eighteen year old from Budapest could be about a place he only knows from the movies?! Keep your eyes open, kid, there is a lot more about life you need to learn before you'll know where the earth is and so be able to stick down to it.

A Bulgarian boy made similar inquires on this forum recently, check it out:
LA Lifestyle

Good luck.

Last edited by learningCA; 12-05-2009 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles