Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:41 AM

617 posts, read 2,822,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrington View Post
Not to get off-topic a little bit or anything, but aren't these scientists predicting the asteroid the same scientists or even just a small handful of the same scientists that say that us big bad humans are the cause of "man-made" global warming? I doubt they would have any more of a chance of repelling the asteroid than to eradicate the CO2 in the sky above.
Goodness me mate. You seem really worried by what "might happen." I really can't answer your question, because all I saw was a 3 minute news clip. Like I said, I am no scientist. I am no expert. But... NASA has many telescopes, satellites, what ever you want to call them, where they can actually see that this thing is heading to earth. Its not a guess. It's not a THEORY like Al Gore has about global warming, that they are passing off as fact. Could something deviate this space rock from its course? Who knows? Sure maybe it will collide with another space rock before it hits the earth, and that will send it in another direction, I don't know. They say it has a 1 in 45,000 chance in hitting the earth. All I know, is that the end of the world will come eventually. Luckily I have religious beliefs that allow me to see the greater perspective, and not freak out about stuff.

Check out these links:
http://www.metroactive.com/metro-san...dent-0545.html

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,21245424-5005961,00.html (broken link)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/science/nature/6370817.stm

Yes, this thread is getting off topic, so I wont be adding any more of my 2 cents. All I can recommend? Don't focus on what you can't control. It's bad for your health. If you really want to move to L.A, then DO IT! It's expensive, but it's a very pretty place. Don't let all these theories, and mumbo jumbo scare you off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 09:14 AM

189 posts, read 344,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
If you really want to move to L.A, then DO IT! It's expensive, but it's a very pretty place. Don't let all these theories, and mumbo jumbo scare you off.
Well, actually, it's not just the theories on sea level rise and the asteroid that keep me on edge or the prices to live there, it's also notorious for its pollution and smog. Besides, I wasn't really planning on moving to LA proper, but maybe live in somewhere between there and San Diego. Or possibly live somewhere near Bakersfield. I don't care, I just want to live somewhere in SoCal.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:09 AM

8 posts, read 33,249 times
It would be pretty awesome if Nebraska had an ocean view. . . then in one day you can go surfing and tend to the crops.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:15 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Global Warming only exists when the economy is doing well.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:49 PM

21 posts, read 66,054 times
Quote:
I've been hearing rumors about Los Angeles being doomed because of global warming and sea level rise. Is it doomed? Be honest now. More importantly, will much of the surrounding area be doomed as well?

I think we should all be concerned with the real problem, that is...Manbearpig. He's half man, half bear-pig. Or half man-bear, half pig...whichever.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:11 PM

269 posts, read 783,976 times
I think we don't understand enough to say for sure what is happening. This is only because I've seen 'conclusive' evidence for both arguments that it exists and that it does not exist. Even if it does exist, would anything really be done about it anyway? How do we get China to change their habits when we can't?

Do I think we're doomed? Probably not. I'm guessing I may live to see the day when there's no ice in the Arctic during a hot summer or polar bears become extinct, but I don't think whole cities will be under 100 feet of water :crosses fingers:

*To add to this, why are people touting global-warming, then going out and having kids?

Old 10-27-2008, 01:16 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Quote:
Tell that to New Orleans, even though it was a hurricane that hurt it.
New Orleans is below sea level. LA is not.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:31 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,981 times
Not worried at all, by the time global warming has a devestating effect we will all be long gone from here on earth.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:01 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Palo Verdes Peninsula has gradually been dropping into the ocean thru the millenium, different shelves at differing depths show the history there.
It is the other way around. The Palos Verdes Peninsula is rising and the shelves seen today were once under water.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:14 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
Like I said before, if California ends up under water..... it will be because of a major earthquake, before global warming gets to it.
A major earthquake would not cause California to go under water because of the type of faults California has, especially along the coast. They are strike-slip faults, which move horizontally. So what would happen is that the land would move anywhere from 10-30 feet (depending on the magnitude of the quake) horizontally (the land across the fault would move that many feet either left or right depending on the fault itself). With a right-lateral strike-slip fault, the land across the fault would move to the right and with a left-lateral strike-slip fault, the land would move to the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles