Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:34 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,412 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking for awhile about the placement of LED lights in the lane markers of streets and freeways. This would be in addition to the Botts Dots and would help visibility, especially in the rain (infrequent, I know). These LED markers are already in use in crosswalks and really boost visibility. I figured that eventually they could function as lane departure warnings or to warn of lane closures, etc.

Imagine my surprise about two weeks ago when heading north on the Pasadena Freeway (110N) that the leftmost lane which enters the 5 north was lit up with white LEDs. The lights are very dense, almost a continuous line, and for night, almost blindingly bright. They last about half a mile until that sharp left for the 5. Like paint markers, the final stretch has a double row of lights. One possibly bad thing is that the markers continue straight for a short distance past the 5 turn off. If one was just following the lights, it would lead them straight into a collision with a solid object. Why don't the lights follow along with the left turning lane since that lane is for the 5 only?

A very lazy Google search didn't turn up any information.

Is this an experiment?

Are these LED lane markers in use anywhere else?

doka
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 06:39 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Looks like CALTRANS actually ran power lines into the lanes.

Here they are:

YouTube - New Lane Lights on Pasadena Fwy

How much is the state of California in debt?

Old 09-13-2009, 06:52 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,418,642 times
I'm just glad that they narrowed the exiting portion of that lane to the 5. Way to many idiots were cutting over in the dead space at the last second.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:48 PM

137 posts, read 602,720 times
People still do it! The worst is when you are trying to get to Pasadena and in that lane and those knuckleheads come to a (almost) complete stop to make their way in at the very end.

IMO Those lights are really bright, and somewhat distracting when you are in the lane to the right of it.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:50 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
Brilliant Idea!!!Wish we had them in SD!!!Wait,the idiot drivers will still be idiot drivers.Somewhat of a waste of money as well.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
That's a good idea.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:59 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,418,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LArenter View Post
People still do it! The worst is when you are trying to get to Pasadena and in that lane and those knuckleheads come to a (almost) complete stop to make their way in at the very end.

IMO Those lights are really bright, and somewhat distracting when you are in the lane to the right of it.

I know people still do it, but the situation has improved greatly.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Looks like CALTRANS actually ran power lines into the lanes.

Here they are: <deleted YouTube link>
Nice YouTube find, Charles. The actual lights look much cooler when driving--almost like a video game. Took another look and confirmed that if one was to follow the LEDs to the end, it would lead you right into those yellow crash cans. *ouch*

So, has anyone seen these lights anywhere else? Is this a first?

Old 09-17-2009, 02:29 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post

So, has anyone seen these lights anywhere else? Is this a first?
First I've seen of them in the LA area. Looking at the signs and other work they are doing the area I think the eventual ideal is to let you exit from 110N to 5N from both the #1 lane and #2 lane when traffic gets really slow. Any help for this bottleneck is welcome.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
The only other place I've seen little embedded lights in the street is in Laguna Beach where they have them delineating crosswalks on PCH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles