Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 04:46 PM

88 posts, read 370,915 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating throwing caution to the wind and packing up bag n baggage and moving to the Santa Clarita area from Florida...I have family and they have encouraged me to stay with them till things settle down, couple of months maybe. I also have a resonably good line on a job that pays around $75k...I have a new truck and few bills - not much else.
Whatdya think I should do...I'm fine where I'm at, cept I'm tired of the HUMID weather...I was out there during the recent fires and it was 108º and 7% humidity...If thats the best you have - I can easily handle that. Todays weather is 97º and 88% humidity!
Despite the weather...any words of discouragement or encouragement out there?

Thank you in advance for your candor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 05:03 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,818,497 times
What's the worst thing that happens? You move there and don't like it... then you move back to Florida. Best thing that happens is you love it and stay there. Wouldn't you rather go and give it a try instead of always wondering what could of been if... that's my life philosophy.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:22 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times
you know the weather isn't usually 98 and humid..Hot and humid yes, but not like that. If the weather is the worse thing you have to grip about, stay where you are. A lead on a job and a job are 2 different things. Where is the job and how far would you have to commute? Sorry, I can't agree with LASam, no place is utopia. The most positive thing about So Ca is the weather and yes, it is awesome most of the time. But remember they are predicting outrageous heat this week and next.

Nita

Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,818,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you know the weather isn't usually 98 and humid..Hot and humid yes, but not like that. If the weather is the worse thing you have to grip about, stay where you are. A lead on a job and a job are 2 different things. Where is the job and how far would you have to commute? Sorry, I can't agree with LASam, no place is utopia. The most positive thing about So Ca is the weather and yes, it is awesome most of the time. But remember they are predicting outrageous heat this week and next.

Nita
At what point did I say it was utopia?

Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,214,263 times
Funny, manny times I agree with both Nita and Sam. Now they are at odds.

I live in Oxnard on the coast and we have plenty of humidity here. Not sure what you are getting away from. I am seldom in Santa Clarita though so maybe they have less humidity. Having a line on a job and having a job are differant. What does that mean? You heard they are hiring? They say they want to hire you? Your uncle own the company? I heard of a job that I qualify for now. It pays between $150,000 and $200,000 a year. I bet many others have heard about this job as well though. Yes I will apply for it, why not right? At the same time for now it is as you say "a line on a job." Saying that I am also working now and not putting my family in jeopardy by leaving my job.

You on the other hand are single I am guessing. Can afford to make a few mistakes. You also have family in the area. Many make the move and have little or no resources to fall on when needed. You have some bills. Is the truck paid for? I would hope you are doing this with 6 months cash for the bills. If not make sure you get a part time job, just in case the job doesn't work out. Also don't cut those bridges down to Florida just yet. Always nice to know you can return if needed.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:20 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,641,211 times
I wouldn't make the move unless (or until) you have enough savings to cover at least 6 months for bills, including health insurance, ideally more.

I'm all for adventure and trying out new places, but unless the job is a sure thing or unless you have a lot of savings built up I wouldn't move right now. A couple of years ago things were different and you could move to California and probably find a job fairly quickly, but for most people that's no longer the case. Plan for the worst, job-wise, and even after you start make sure to keep some money in savings in case they end up reducing hours or laying off people. New hires are often the first to go. That's not to be discouraging, simply some advice based on the experiences of my own family and friends. If things work out perfectly and you get a good job, the economy continues to recover, and you don't need to use your excess savings, then all the better.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,788,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgKlr View Post
I was out there during the recent fires and it was 108º and 7% humidity...If thats the best you have - I can easily handle that.
When the Santa Anas are blowing, the RH drops to 1% and the dew point drops down to negative 40+. That's when the skin around your fingers cracks.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:23 PM

191 posts, read 584,437 times
OP: can you provide/ask more specifics? What job? Where? Industry? Family concerns/status? Attributes of a nabe that you like/dislike? Age/education? Attitude toward risk? Do you have $ in savings?

We need more info if you want an informed answer. Otherwise, you're hearing speculation.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:19 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,448,249 times
I'd say if you have family to live with go try it. If I had family there with open arms I'd hit the road before this message is typed!

Old 09-20-2009, 06:09 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
At what point did I say it was utopia?
Expression only sir, I certainly didn't mean you said it was Utopia, I am just saying too many people come to Ca thinking it is heaven on earth or the grass is greener on that side of the fence. Maybe I am just to causious but in todays market I would never give up a job anywhere, for a maybe job somewhere else just cause I didn't like the weather. You say, what is the worse thing that could happen, you don't like it so you head back home. When both Fl and Ca were thriving I would agree, but today, you give up a job and have no idea if you will ever get it back.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles