Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 03:39 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,182 times

Advertisements

For example, people commute to downtown from the north (5), northwest (101), northeast (110), west (10), south (110), southwest (5) and east (10 and 60).

Is there a stat that shows commuting patterns? For example, 20% of downtown workers use the 101, while only 5% use the 110.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 01:46 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,657 times
Interesting question, not sure if there are surveys/stats on this. There is a yearly Downtown survey but that doesn't typically take into account routes to work, more like it just asks whether you commute by driving or transit (or walking if you live in DT). But I work in downtown, and our office isn't big (9-10 people). Here is the breakdown of commuting for a "typical" Downtown company:

2 people drive from Northridge area (101)
1 person drives from the westside (10)
3 people take the Red Line from parts of the Valley (North Hollywood station)
1 person drives from OC (405 to 110)
1 person takes the bus from El Monte
1 person takes the Metrolink (then Red Line) from West Covina area

It's a small sample size but may be representative of commuting patterns

Old 09-06-2014, 10:07 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Interesting question, not sure if there are surveys/stats on this. There is a yearly Downtown survey but that doesn't typically take into account routes to work, more like it just asks whether you commute by driving or transit (or walking if you live in DT). But I work in downtown, and our office isn't big (9-10 people). Here is the breakdown of commuting for a "typical" Downtown company:

2 people drive from Northridge area (101)
1 person drives from the westside (10)
3 people take the Red Line from parts of the Valley (North Hollywood station)
1 person drives from OC (405 to 110)
1 person takes the bus from El Monte
1 person takes the Metrolink (then Red Line) from West Covina area

It's a small sample size but may be representative of commuting patterns
Thanks for posting. Odd that no one lives in downtown itself.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:45 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Thanks for posting. Odd that no one lives in downtown itself.
Rents either ridiculously high or subsidized which only low income qualify. Nothing in-between.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:15 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,469 times
What you'll find or what I have found is that because DTLA has among the best and high paying jobs in the region AND its central location, it attracts people from through out the region. Futher, because these jobs are often long held or require exprience, many of those folks have families and where there kids go to school or more HOUSE for the money and tha appeal and percieved safety of the burbs becme very attracive. Living dowtown is more appealing to youngling with no or 1 kid, but the adult grow out of that and want a house. Dowtown or city living can appeal to empty nesters who no longer need to put their kids schoo district ahead of their own needs. You have to understand that parents want their kids to be able to ride their bikes in a suburban non downtown area.

Also, because DTLA central location and excelent public transit options of Metro and Metrolink commuter rail, people don't have to move closer to DTAL, and a lot of people do not want to move from already good places to live where they very nice homes and nice neighbohoods and towns like Irvine/Newport Beach, Santa Clarita, Fullerton, Clairemont, Covina/Hills, Ranco Cucamonga (has beautiful new housing and the town has great amenities), Walnut/Diamond Bar, and more. All those areas I've named are affluent or wealthy, and those folks are NOT moving, and all those places also have Metrolink commuter rail service or close to a station.

A similar situation of commuters who work in the higher paying offices in Orange Count but live in the IE, mostly Riverside county.

My aunt for decades would only see jobs in her field that were in DTLA because the pay in DTAL was among the locals where the pay was the highest, and most of those years she commuted by Metrolink because they had a great house and family in school and she
could avoid driving to work with hellish commute.

She finally found a position in her city where she lived for about the same pay and no real commute at all. Two months later her old lawfirm in DTAL called and offered a big increase in salary if she would come back. She took the figure to he current employer just a few miles from where she lived, and his respone was, "Threre is no way I can match that." So, she was back on the trains to DTAL.

With so many law firms and investment banks commercial banks, energy company offices, among other industry offices, Often tops in their fields, even lowly receptionists make more than if they had tne same job outside of DTLA. Of course, Century City, Bevery Hills, and almost the whole arear from DTLA to Santa Monica pays more South Orange County is anothef high paying area for even low position, but DTLA has the supreme transit options compared to the other areas.

You should see the wealth on the Orange County line Metrolink. Good grief. People making less than 6 figures are the poor people on that line. I think you should ride both Metro rail lines and Metrolink commuter rail lines and ask those folks why they don't live in DTLA. I sure see why the Gold line to Pasadena is packed at rush hour. Who would want to leave Pasadena for DTLA to live. Not me.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:12 PM

36 posts, read 103,629 times
Well, I work in DTLA @ LA live and I live in south pasadena right off the 110 (approx 9 miles away) ..however, I choose to ride the metro rail as it actually faster most mornings, much cheaper, and I don't have to worry about parking fees which is easily the biggest headache of DTLA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles