Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:17 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishgarden View Post
I live in Van Nuys and i hate it. I need cold winters and small towns! does anyone out there know of a modern day "Mayberry"? I'd want low humidity, cold winters, warm summers, snow, rain, low cost of living, where everyone knows everyone else. I'd probably want a house, I'm tired of apartment living, and probably about 15-20 acres. any ideas??
How bout I trade you my abyss for yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 02:46 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,506 times
How are you going to get "everyone knows everybody" while living on 15-20 acres? There won't be anybody to know. But I would imagine you could find most of what you're looking for in at least half of the U.S. states.

I'm not sure a real "Mayberry" ever existed, though. Most small towns I've been to in the U.S. are either tourist/boutique/B&B/expensive or economically depressed and not very friendly, especially to outsiders, and ESPECIALLY to outsiders who are different from them in some key way, like ethnicity or religion or being from California. A major exception to this would be most college towns, which is where I'd look if I were moving to middle America.

Last edited by jbunniii; 09-30-2009 at 02:55 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 03:05 PM

342 posts, read 1,427,918 times
We have an adorable little town called Osseo, Minnesota. We may have some humidity in the summer but have all the other things you are looking for. It is about a half hour drive to downtown Minneapolis (if you need to go into the city) but is more of a rural feeling. It has the cutest downtown area and everyone does know each other. And if you go a few miles out you can get a home with land or even a hobby farm.

I also lived in a little town called Creswell, Oregon while in high school. I lived with my aunt and uncle on a ranch just outside of town. Back in 1964 there were only 30 of us in our graduating class. Everyone knew everyone so much, that if I did something wrong, my aunt had been called my numerous people or heard the story while getting her hair done uptown. I believe that Creswell has a pretty low income level and even close to poverty level - but Cottage Grove, to the south is a nice town too. And Oregon is a beautiful state. But I loved the small town atmosphere and it was more of a rural area too with Cherry orchards and strawberry fields and green bean fields all around when I lived there.

Personally, I would love to be back in California - maybe not LA but in some of the outer parts of the county. I would love Santa Monica - but I would have to win the lottery first for that to become a reality.

I am sure there must be many small towns - it would be fun to do the research. There are some small towns around Winona Minnesota and that area is so beautiful with the cliffs (they remind me of the mountains and hills in Oregon) with all the tree's and so green.

Good luck in your search. And let us know what you narrow it down to.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:58 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,377 times
What is Mayberry? Try looking in Nor Cal or the Pacific Northwest... really cold, snowy but really pretty.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:53 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
What is Mayberry?
Man, now I really feel old.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:31 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,282 times
Palmer, Alaska. Kenai, Alaska.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:32 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,282 times
^^^ If you need to work try and get hired on up on the North Slope.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:01 PM

13 posts, read 49,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveOC View Post
We have an adorable little town called Osseo, Minnesota. We may have some humidity in the summer but have all the other things you are looking for. It is about a half hour drive to downtown Minneapolis (if you need to go into the city) but is more of a rural feeling. It has the cutest downtown area and everyone does know each other. And if you go a few miles out you can get a home with land or even a hobby farm.

I agree with you there, Osseo is a pretty great place. I definitely think you should live in Minnesota, you'd love it there based on your post. It has everything you want. Edina, Wayzata, Eden Prairie, Osseo, Hopkins, are all nice cities in Minnesota that you should research =) I personally am from Edina, and absolutely loved it there, and all of the cities i mentioned are about 20/30 min to downtown. MN has low crime, great education system, good jobs, while keeping that "homey" small town feeling. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2009, 04:41 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishgarden View Post
I live in Van Nuys and i hate it. I need cold winters and small towns! does anyone out there know of a modern day "Mayberry"? I'd want low humidity, cold winters, warm summers, snow, rain, low cost of living, where everyone knows everyone else. I'd probably want a house, I'm tired of apartment living, and probably about 15-20 acres. any ideas??
NEK,Vermont.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Man, now I really feel old.
I was thinking something similar.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles