Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 8,393 times

Advertisements

I just want to say that I moved here about 2 months ago, and was scared to death after reading such negative junk in these forums. Happy to say that I have been pleasantly surprised with how nice it is. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods, new parks and well-kept playgrounds. The library is nice and family-friendly and the downtown area is undergoing a bit of a beautification project. I feel safe here, my kids have plenty of places to play, and there is plenty of shopping and family-friendly attractions. We have been to the movies, taken the kids to a Jayhawks (minor league baseball) game, we walk to church, we've been hiking out in Devils Punchbowl, cherry picking in nearby Leona Valley, etc., etc.

I'm sure there are junky neighborhoods and places where I wouldn't want to hang out, but there are also many nice, older well-kept homes and newer housing, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 11:34 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,488,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_1000 View Post
Funny how these new people with one post show up and post this stuff. My aunt and uncle have lived in Lancaster for 25 years and never heard of such things. I guess you can find a crappy block in every city. The San Fernando Valley is 10 times worse than Lancaster. These people sound like haters, glad to hear they moved.
It's just the internet effect. People love to exaggerate and be negative while hiding behind a veil of anonymity.

It's no different than reading the comments on any online news article. 99% of these people are always pissed off and against whatever is being said.

Studying online behavior would make an excellent dissertation

Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 AM

6 posts, read 11,643 times
Wow! I must say I am glad I read the last two post! I was wanting to move to palmdale or the affordable homes and was about to scream when I read one persons post that it was riddled with gangs and Ak-47's! Whew I still might consider this area when we move there in 2 months! Thanks

Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 PM

158 posts, read 602,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pongpagong31 View Post
@Flashbaak

Do you still live there? we have the NEED to move there and we know nothing of the area, i have been living comfortably in the nicer area of the San Fernando Valley most of my adult life and i want to have the same sense on security and safety if we have the need to move...what would be a great recommendation, in your perspective, from someone that have lived in the area for such a ling time... i have looked at the forums and are all outdated in some aspects of any changes that may have occurred..thanks
I see your message is a few months old now, but yes I still live here.

The best general advice I can give to you is the farther west you go, the better off you'll be. There are a still few spotty neighborhoods here and there, but in general the far west sides of both cities are pretty nice.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:45 PM

18 posts, read 32,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajjjax View Post
Hi Lili,
I lived in the Antelope Valley (Palmdale/Lancaster) for 7 years, and I worked in the school system. A student brought a gun to school (front page news then) during my first week on the job.

Parents, grandmothers and "Aunties" will remove their kids from "bad" environments in L.A. and transplant them to the AV. Invariably, they ask "Where are the best schools?" When they find out where they are, they enroll their kids there, whether they have to lie about their address, use a friend's address and put the utilities in their name in order to use the bill as proof of residence, or utilize Section 8 Rental assistance to move in to the "good" neighborhoods in order to have access to the schools.

The west side of Palmdale was the best place to be, but there are a lot of Section 8 recipients there now, illegal immigrants (they were playing soccer in the street when I left) and in Quartz Hill (further west) too.

Also, the real estate prices are peaking there now, too. When I moved there in 1998, I met some people who were "upside down" on their house, becuase they paid too much 5 years before. If you buy now, that could be you in a few years. Talk about a nightmare; wanting to leave the AV but not being able to.

In my experience, the whole area has gone down hill dramatically. The AV is no place to raise a kid, that's for sure. I highly recommend you re-consider moving to the AV.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I have known wonderful section 8 recipients. It is just a voucher to help folks keep up with the high cost of living. You have a predjudice against anyone who is poor, but what you have written shows that poor folks are as desperate as anyone else to do right by their kids. But you have a not uncommon attitude that anyone not middle class or above doesn't count.
Given the state of the economy we are all liable to find ourselves on section 8 or wishing for it. Get real, America, and stop pushing these old divisive ideas that keep us at each others throats, when we should be insisting government deal with reality and stop pushing the idea of a 'service economy' that will make us rich.
Avita

Old 09-18-2010, 02:19 AM

74 posts, read 195,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avita View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I have known wonderful section 8 recipients. It is just a voucher to help folks keep up with the high cost of living. You have a predjudice against anyone who is poor, but what you have written shows that poor folks are as desperate as anyone else to do right by their kids. But you have a not uncommon attitude that anyone not middle class or above doesn't count.
Given the state of the economy we are all liable to find ourselves on section 8 or wishing for it. Get real, America, and stop pushing these old divisive ideas that keep us at each others throats, when we should be insisting government deal with reality and stop pushing the idea of a 'service economy' that will make us rich.
Avita
I'm sure most Section 8 voucher recipients are good people and are legitimate recipients - after all, a family needs to be below 50% of the local median income, or around $20k per year, and there are single moms who make that. Disabled people have a hard time finding or holding onto a job. Same with the elderly. All legit.

But there are also scam artists who don't get a paycheck, but sell drugs. They look for Section 8 properties owned by investors who live out of the area. Maybe a single mom gets the voucher, and has a boyfriend with a job and lives with her, but they don't list him.

Then you also have people who f**k up their lives and make themselves unemployable. Maybe they got into a gang and now have tattoos all over their skull, or got injured and now roll in a wheelchair. Maybe they did a lot of drugs and their mind isn't working anymore. They qualify... but it would be better if wages and rents were more in line with each other, so they could get whatever jobs they could, and rent a regular apartment, rather than end up concentrated in Section 8.

My personal gripe with Section 8 is that it's this fat subsidy for landlords, but the landlords just let the properties deteriorate. I've been to check out some places that say "section 8 OK", and they're less maintained than cheaper non-section-8 units. They're supposed to be inspected, but the inspectors seem to miss the fact that some of these units are ****. Maybe they figure it's for poor people, so who cares? Or maybe they're slobs themselves. These crap apartments are overpriced because of Section 8.

Scrap it and let the damned rents drop. Let these slumlords compete with the better, cheaper units by lowering their prices, or repairing their units.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,357 times
the only REAL hoods in the av are P13K,CKF13,SUR13,18ST,MS13,LA MIRADA ST LOCOS,AGK13 107ST,B1Y,BPS13,PBS13,MTC13,LANCAS13,MWC,SOL,BST13 ,SF13,P13,F13,AVES13,BTLS,MDS,

Old 04-11-2011, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,631 times
Luckily I read this, I am thinking about moving to California and only place that seem quite affordable is Lancaster. I guess I would rather pay twice as much or more to live in nicer neighborhoods. Seems like Lancaster is going down the same road Pontiac, Flint and Detroit Michigan went down. I am around this area so I know how it went from a real nice neighborhood to a Shxt hole.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,631 times
Well, my friend, statistics don't lie, why do you think most of the white people in Michigan moved north and as far away from Detroit as possible (where I was raised, 22 years). I am not raciest but fact and data on crime rates between racial groups do not lie.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:10 PM

3,951 posts, read 7,161,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veilside1000 View Post
Well, my friend, statistics don't lie, why do you think most of the white people in Michigan moved north and as far away from Detroit as possible (where I was raised, 22 years). I am not raciest but fact and data on crime rates between racial groups do not lie.
Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles