Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:15 PM

4 posts, read 23,919 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I visited Woodland Hills for first time today (been living in Sherman Oaks for a few years)...I may make an offer on a house in 91367 Zip
House is near the 101 (I'll check again tomorrow to see if it's TOO close w/noise &/or extra pollution)...
ANy thoughts on this area?
I work from home (no commuting needed)
I understand its exceptionally hot (no prob bec. house has a pool)
I'm single no kids but I'm told the schools are hit/miss in diff WH areas (future kids or resale value concerns for me)
These (I believe) are the closest schools for the property- any thoughts?:
District: Los Angeles Unified Primary: Woodland Hills Eleme ... Middle: Parkman Middle Schoo ... High: Miguel Leonis Contin ... Is crime a major issue relative to the rest of Los Angeles/valley?
Is this area on the decline/getting run down or holding its own or improving, in your opinion?
Anything else I should know?
Thanks!

Last edited by bobbylaw; 09-26-2009 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,499,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylaw View Post
Hey all,
I visited Woodland Hills for first time today (been living in Sherman Oaks for a few years)...I may make an offer on a house in 91367 Zip
House is near the 101 (I'll check again tomorrow to see if it's TOO close w/noise &/or extra pollution)...
ANy thoughts on this area?
I work from home (no commuting needed)
I understand its exceptionally hot (no prob bec. house has a pool)
I'm single no kids but I'm told the schools are hit/miss in diff WH areas (future kids or resale value concerns for me)
These (I believe) are the closest schools for the property- any thoughts?:
District: Los Angeles Unified Primary: Woodland Hills Eleme ... Middle: Parkman Middle Schoo ... High: Miguel Leonis Contin ... Is crime a major issue relative to the rest of Los Angeles/valley?
Is this area on the decline/getting run down or holding its own or improving, in your opinion?
Anything else I should know?
Thanks!

Woodland Hills is an upscale community and is not the least bit rundown. Crime is not an issue. Your main issue would be traffic, but since you work from home this is not a major concern either.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 AM

Thanks!
ANyone else care to weigh in?

Old 09-27-2009, 12:25 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,125 times
Nothing else to really in with, Woodland Hills is a top end area.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:48 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
this might sound kind of bad, but woodland hills is pretty much the last area in LA city that is dominated by white families with children with quality schools thru the high school level. there are a few others, but woodlands hills is probably the nicest.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Parkman Middle School is now Woodland Hills Academy.
Woodland Hills Elementary School is superb.
Most kids in WH go to El Camino or Taft.

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...school/ca/2501

Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,605 times
Yeah, like Charles said, the High Schools in Woodland Hills are Taft and El Camino. The High School you listed is a continuation school, one of those "go at your own pace" schools. With Woodland Hills Elementary, you are probably looking at Taft.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:45 AM

Thanks alot all!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:35 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,320 times
I work in Woodland Hills and it's definitely one of the nicer well kept communities in Los Angeles. I could never live there though because it's too darn hot. I lived there for 2 years a few years ago and the heat really got to me. Be prepared to have your air conditioner on a lot! We have a joke at work that we work on the center of the sun. It's the strangest thing. It can be 85 in Sherman Oaks and 94 in Woodland Hills. Boggles the mind.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
Woodland Hills is okay. I personally like Sherman Oaks better. The reason we are here is because we have a house with pool and plenty of space for our dog to run in WH. We're renting out our Sherman Oaks Condo (on Dickens around the corner from Jinkys) but I think Id rather move back there. Its just toooooo hot here in WH.

WH is nice, little to no crime, and while not quite as diverse as S.O. there are still all types of people living here. Just the other day while at the park, the kids' soccer teams were having picture day and I noticed a LOT of blonde moms with obvious black kids and Im not talking just 3-4 moms. Same with kids in school. I have one in El Camino High school and noticed great diversity in the student base.

Overall, Sherman Oaks seems to be a bit younger and hipper crowd and have a lot of persian jews and Russian immigrants. Not that many immigrants that I see here in WH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles