Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:17 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times

Advertisements

Moving from Houston where we had super lit freeways and roadways, it was one of the first things I noticed here! It actually gets dark at night and I can see a few stars from my place in Long Beach. Houston always had this orange glow over the city at night. They way overuse superlights on streets, parking lots, etc...

I do not miss the orange glowing night sky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 04:21 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Traffic is 24/7. LA is always lit up with lights.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:33 PM

199 posts, read 400,415 times
Why waste money building lights and powering them when all cars come with headlights? And why would people want to live in a permanent orange glow when they can have normal day/night cycles? The reasons against super-lit highways are many.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:43 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
I have been living in Los Angeles for about seven years now. Born originally in Michigan and having lived in places like New York City, Baltimore, Honolulu, Miami, Orlando I have seen my share of cities not to mention all the places I ahve traveled to. But I am curious to know why Los Angeles doesn't have well light freeways. Being a fanatic of urban planning and architecture I tend to observe things like freeway lamp poles, highway design etc and I am curious to know whats the deal with L.A. freeways. A friend of mine recently came to visit me from New York and the first thing he said was "Why is the city so dark." Although L.A. has a freeway system much larger and superior to those of most other cities there arent very many lights. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE NEVER LEFT THE CITY OF L.A. you will see a dramatic difference if you go back east. Normally when you enter the official city limits of any major urban area in the U.S. you began to see continous freeway lights the start at the city line and run all the way through to the other end. FOR INSTANCE: If you go to vegas once you come down the hill on I -15 and approach the 215 Loop you see huge light poles continously down the center of the freeway all the way until you leave the city of vegas. Same thing in Phoenix. El Paso Texas as well. In Detroit one you past 12 mile road on I 75 heading south into Detroit there is a continous strand of lights down the center of the freeway. In L.A. however, the lights are very few.

Examples:
405 freeway. between LAX and I 10.
lights are in patches only around exit ramps. Once away from exit ramps its dark.
101 freeway in San Fernando Valley.
Particularly in the west valley the highway is pitch black.

10 freeway between 110 and 405. Lights mainly at exit ramps.
Most areas dark.

I'm wondering is the just an intentional design aimed at not diminishing the glow of the moutains at night or is it just a budget crisis.

I have never been in any U.S. city so dark. Normally one you enter the city limits you see a continous strand of street lamps and well illuminated freeway.

Thoughts Please.

BY THE WAY, SAN DIEGO IS THE SAME.
So what are you saying that Los Angeles doesn't have money for " freeway lights " only (2) cities in the world have more money than LA (GDP) Tokyo and New York City.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,019 times
Noticed the same thing, but it's not that bad. However, LA needs to replace their overhead outdated street signs....

Old 07-29-2014, 01:05 AM

525 posts, read 815,526 times
I noticed the same thing in Northern California at Bay Area and on off-highways on streets, orange light poles are upgraded to white LED lights that are as bright but don't have this ugly glowing orange effect.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:41 AM

5 posts, read 6,625 times
Because unlike what you might think. California's priorities are out of order. They are BASSACKWARDS. If they light the freeways then you would see the vast number of homeless people who live underneath the freeways. Seriously, just try the 10 freeway and National for starters. The entire Los Angeles area is covered with poor people who struggle everyday and many of them live on street. L.A. has no real money to put into these infrastructural items where taxpayers pay a lot of money. They pay those who lead the city FAR too much money. NOthing gets done.

They paid millions for Michael Jacksons Funeral instead of getting alarms, lighting, and trying to put those homeless people to work or at least get them off the streets. The wealthy come to L.A. and take over raise prices of nasty looking apartments, hotels, and other housing. Many people live 15 in one home which they like to call, SHARED HOUSING. I'm surprised that's all you see is BAD lighting. I can give you a list of 100 items.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruckdiva View Post
Because unlike what you might think. California's priorities are out of order. They are BASSACKWARDS. If they light the freeways then you would see the vast number of homeless people who live underneath the freeways. Seriously, just try the 10 freeway and National for starters. The entire Los Angeles area is covered with poor people who struggle everyday and many of them live on street. L.A. has no real money to put into these infrastructural items where taxpayers pay a lot of money. They pay those who lead the city FAR too much money. NOthing gets done.

They paid millions for Michael Jacksons Funeral instead of getting alarms, lighting, and trying to put those homeless people to work or at least get them off the streets. The wealthy come to L.A. and take over raise prices of nasty looking apartments, hotels, and other housing. Many people live 15 in one home which they like to call, SHARED HOUSING. I'm surprised that's all you see is BAD lighting. I can give you a list of 100 items.
You're a bit much.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:54 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
You're a bit much.

Ditto. Hey, if you don't like the lights then bring your own. Or if you're not willing, we have plenty of people in line behind you.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:24 AM

525 posts, read 815,526 times
Folks, this conversation is getting us nowhere! Anybody has been outside California to any western state where it doesn't snow? Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Arizona? What about big cities and suburbs in those areas? They can afford to install reflector lines on most roads and highways which helps with visibility at night instead of light poles. Few posts mentioned that Las Vegas and Phoenix have overhead lighting.

Last edited by kyle242; 08-02-2014 at 01:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles