Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:54 PM

306 posts, read 636,490 times

Advertisements

These guys are making Joe Torre look like a genius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 03:56 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Yes, the dropped ball was a gift, but they still had to scrape together two runs to beat the redbirds... and they did that in come-from-behind-2009 fashion with two outs in the 9th.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post
These guys are making Joe Torre look like a genius.
I've always liked Joe Torre going back to when he was the color man (working with Bob Star??? Al Conin???) for the Angels maybe 20 years ago. He had an old school, no non sense attitude.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Tonight will be the best of the best I hope. I just want them to get the Cards out of the way. We have had out of town company, who are not big sports fans since Wed morning. They left about 2 hours ago, now we will spend the rest of the day glued to the football and baseball games instead of the food network.

Nita

Old 10-11-2009, 05:19 AM

Default They did it

They did it again,

This is the first time they have beat St Louis in a post season series. Now the fun begins...

Nita

Old 10-11-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is the first time they have beat St Louis in a post season series.

Remember Ozzie Smith's 1985 home run off Tom Niedenfuer?
Jack "Dodger killer" Clark's home run also off Niedenfuer?

I like defeating teams in a final game of a series, as opposed to sweeping them. Losing by one hurts a lot more than getting swept.

//www.city-data.com/forum/sport...ut-losing.html

Last edited by Charles; 10-11-2009 at 06:14 AM..

Old 10-11-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

I like defeating teams in a final game of a series, as opposed to sweeping them. Losing by one hurts a lot more than getting swept.

I do and wish I didn't but as for winning in the last game, for excitement I agree, it is just in this case particularly I just wanted to see the Dodgers win cause I always worry when they play St Louis. I was even getting nervous last week when their lead over the Rockies got down to one game..

Nita

Old 10-11-2009, 02:50 PM

Assuming all teams have an equal chance of advancing (which is reasonable in the LCS), there is now a 25% chance of a Dodgers-Angels freeway series.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:20 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
still surprised how quickly and easily the angels were able to dispatch of the red sox. good for them, as i really didn't want to see another yanks-red sox playoff series.

a freeway series would really be something. i'm always rooting against the yankees, so i'll really be pulling for the angels in the alcs (assuming the yanks finish off the twins in the division series).

Old 10-11-2009, 03:47 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
i remember the 1985 nlcs really well. i was rooting for the dodgers in that series because i was still upset about the cardinals edging out the mets for the nl east division title.

i recall being in complete shock when ozzie smith hit that home run off of tom niedenfuer in game 5 - i believe it was the first time smith had ever hit a home run while batting left-handed. then in game 6, smith nearly hit another left-handed homer off of niedenfuer (it ended up being a triple that tied the game). and of course, niedenfuer gave up the game-winning homer to jack clark in the top of the 9th inning.

as i'm sure you recall, tommy lasorda opted to pitch to clark instead of walking him with two outs, first base open, and a far weaker hitter on deck (andy van slyke). in fact, clark was the cardinals' only true power hitter, with a far less imposing lineup once you got past him.

i know the great majority of dodger fans love tommy lasorda, but not walking clark in the 9th inning was a huge tactical error. and as for niedenfuer...what can you say, the guy was just brutal in that series.

Quote:

i happen to disagree. i think there's an extra indignity to getting swept than to come close but fall just short. the former means your team got dominated; the latter means they put up a good fight. losing hurts either way, but i'd rather see my team go down swinging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles