Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:34 PM

23 posts, read 83,013 times

Advertisements

Hello and am I glad I found this forum!

Looking to relocate to the above listed area since I have found a great job in Glendale, and am looking for advise on which area to go to that would be close enough to commute (but not top priority-I drive 20 miles from Carlsbad to San Diego now-about 40 minutes)

Top priorities will be school quality (2 middle school students) neighborhood safety and it needs to be somewhat affordable ($2k per mo range)not above living in a nice apartment but would prefer SFR. I was focused on Pasadena, but they seem to have some low API scores, and education is very important to my wife and I.

any suggestions-tips-advise would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,345 times
You might be able to find something in South Pasadena for the $2000/mo. range. Check listings. Schools are great, and the commute to Glendale isn't too bad if you take the 134.

How about Glendale itself? I have not heard so much about the schools there - what are their scores and things? Glendale is a nice city, very safe with lots to do.

OK, also check out La Canada and La Crescenta. Good schools, decent commute to Glendale. Both of those communities will be WAY closer than Arcadia or Monrovia, with just as good schools (if not better).

Old 10-10-2009, 12:29 AM

22 posts, read 53,186 times
S. Pasadena is a good choice. Rent is not bad for a good area and the community itself is very nice. $2000/month would get you a pretty nice apartment.

Arcadia is ok too, but imo, i think its over rated. Monrovia is hit and miss, I'd stay away from there, plus it furthest away from Glendale.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingfromcarlsbad View Post

Looking to relocate to the above listed area since I have found a great job in Glendale, and am looking for advise on which area to go to that would be close enough to commute (but not top priority-I drive 20 miles from Carlsbad to San Diego now-about 40 minutes)

Top priorities will be school quality (2 middle school students) neighborhood safety and it needs to be somewhat affordable ($2k per mo range)not above living in a nice apartment but would prefer SFR. I was focused on Pasadena, but they seem to have some low API scores, and education is very important to my wife and I.

For 2K a month you should be able to find a pretty nice apartment in ARcadia which would be my first choice, hands down, Glendale as well, but I do not know much about the schools. Someone suggested So Pasa. I am not sure you can get a really nice apartment there in your price range, but it is a dynomite place to raise kids. That would go for La Canada as well, but there are not a lot of apartments there. Monrovia is ok, the schools are much improved from years ago, but not top. Pasadena is a wonderful place to live, but not with kids because of the schools. As for Arcadia being over rated, as somone mentioned, I don't know what he/she meant by that but people in the area, not just Arcadia itself would totally disagree. It is a wonderful family community with top schools. Over priced maybe, all the areas you would want for your kids are overpriced, but not over rated.

This is just my opinion.

Good luck,

Nita

Old 10-10-2009, 09:07 AM

689 posts, read 2,581,401 times
Glendale schools are OK, better part of the school district is in the La Crescenta and Montrose Area around the 210 Freeway. Next to La Crescenta is La Canada Flintridge, some of the best schools in California if you can find a place in your price range. Next to La Canada is Pasadena and Altadena, schools are not good unfortunately. To the south of Pasadena is South Pasadena, great schools and a great community and you may be able to find something in your price range. To the east is San Marino (great schools, no apartments and no affordable rentals) and then Arcadia. Arcadia has great schools and lots of rental options, commute to Glendale would be 20 to 30 minutes. Monrovia is too far with not so great schools. You could also look just to the west of Glendale in Burbank, lots of rental options and a decent school district.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:44 AM

304 posts, read 931,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingfromcarlsbad View Post

Good Morning! If you are shopping by school scores, you might try GreatSchools.net.

$2000 a month can get you an apt in either city and there are a few single family homes in those areas for lease in that range. Both towns have been around for a long time and have character plus newly developed shopping and entertainment areas.

Welcome to LA!

Old 10-11-2009, 07:52 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Arcadia is too far east for a daily commute to Glendale. (And I agree that parts of Arcadia are overpriced.) Don't even consider Monrovia, which is even further east and whose public schools aren't worth the move. In either of those cities, you'd be going with traffic, which can be awful on the 210. Pasadena is not a good choice if you're looking at public schools, as said above. South Pas and La Crescenta look like your best options.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Arcadia is too far east for a daily commute to Glendale. (And I agree that parts of Arcadia are overpriced.) Don't even consider Monrovia, which is even further east and whose public schools aren't worth the move. In either of those cities, you'd be going with traffic, which can be awful on the 210. Pasadena is not a good choice if you're looking at public schools, as said above. South Pas and La Crescenta look like your best options.
WEll I really don't think Arcadia would be all that bad, but yes, the other 2 certainly are worth consideration. I agree about Monrovia, schools are much improved over 30 years ago, still not great and yes, too far. I am not totally convinced there is a lot available in So Pasa for $2000 or under. I know I checked Arcadia for someone not too long ago that wanted a 2 bedroom for $1500 and although there were some advertised I knew the buildings and area, they were not desirable.

Nita

Old 10-11-2009, 10:01 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
Yes, there are definitely nice places available in South Pasadena for $2,000/month (or even under), but that depends on how big of a place you want. 2 BRs in that price range are available, but your kids would have to be okay with sharing a room. For that price you could get either an apartment or a free standing house; some of the apartments come with pools, if that's something you'd like. If you need 3BRs you'll have a much tougher time, in part because of budget and in part because a lot of families choose to rent in South Pas because of the schools.

I've heard good things about the LAUSD schools in the Eagle Rock neighborhood of LA (which would be very convenient to Glendale; it's between Glendale and Pasadena) although I don't have any personal experience. You could find something nice there in your price range, though.

Pasadena itself is sort of hit-or-miss with public schools. I know some people who have sent their kids to PUSD and have been very happy (and I've met some very smart, talented, and motivated PUSD students, and some fabulous teachers), but I know others who have been frustrated and switched to private schools. Pasadena has some wonderful neighborhoods and some great deals on housing, so it might be worth investigating some of the specific schools in more depth before you totally write it off. Then again, the same could be said of Glendale, and that would be the most convenient of all.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Yes, there are definitely nice places available in South Pasadena for $2,000/month (or even under), but that depends on how big of a place you want. 2 BRs in that price range are available, but your kids would have to be okay with sharing a room. For that price you could get either an apartment or a free standing house; some of the apartments come with pools, if that's something you'd like. If you need 3BRs you'll have a much tougher time, in part because of budget and in part because a lot of families choose to rent in South Pas because of the schools.

I've heard good things about the LAUSD schools in the Eagle Rock neighborhood of LA (which would be very convenient to Glendale; it's between Glendale and Pasadena) although I don't have any personal experience. You could find something nice there in your price range, though.

Pasadena itself is sort of hit-or-miss with public schools. I know some people who have sent their kids to PUSD and have been very happy (and I've met some very smart, talented, and motivated PUSD students, and some fabulous teachers), but I know others who have been frustrated and switched to private schools. Pasadena has some wonderful neighborhoods and some great deals on housing, so it might be worth investigating some of the specific schools in more depth before you totally write it off. Then again, the same could be said of Glendale, and that would be the most convenient of all.
I know you are more familiar with the area than I am, but I am still leary as to whether a family with 2 teens could be happy is something for 2000 or less in So Pasadena. I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles