Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 09:20 AM

130 posts, read 466,185 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

Here is my dilemma. I want to move out to L.A. but I know I wont be able to get an apartment without a job, BUT I'm trying to figure out how to get a job without an apartment. I have no doubt that I will be able to find a job, and if I had it my way I would just move out there first and then look for employment. I know that sounds risky to some of you but I'll have over 10K in savings, so I should have enough to get me by until I can find a place to stay. And as I've stated in other posts, I'm all for a $900-$1050 studio (in a decent neighborhood) until I can do better. I've already been looking for jobs via the internet but I'm not sure how that's going to work out with me interviewing and living in the Midwest. I cant afford to keep flying back and forth, and for my experience level and the jobs I'll be applying for they certainly wont be coughing up cash to fly me in. I have a bachelor's degree, work in human resources with about 2 years experience in benefits/payroll but I'm very interested in recruiting. I'm looking for a 40K minimum starting salary. I'm also worried that when people see my address on my resume they will assume that I'll want them to pay relocation costs (which I don't) and not even bother calling me. Does anyone have any advice on how I can pull this off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 10:05 AM

644 posts, read 3,320,902 times
$10K won't get you too far in Los Angeles. I would send out as many resumes as possible and see what bites you get. Maybe you can line up some interviews in advance. Either sell all of your stuff or put it in storage. Come out here and rent a room for cheap until you get a job. Once you get a job, then you can go and find an apartment in the area you want to live in.

Artie

Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze18 View Post
Good morning!

if I had it my way I would just move out there first and then look for employment.
You can do this - provided that you are willing to share a place with a roomie for a few months until you get a job and can afford to move out solo. There are always people in rentals looking for someone to share living expenses with, many on a temporary basis. Craigslist is a good place to browse for this possibility.

If you are not avert to it, that is what I would do, especially based on what you said about what you would prefer - I doubt that an employer would take you seriously during the interview/hiring process for the level of employment that you are interested in if they knew that you are not yet living in CA. They will have plenty of applicants who already live here and are established. It may not sound fair, but that is the way it is - everyone seeks the path with least resistance around here.

Any job halfway desireable is usually given to "in"s - networking is very common and widely practiced. Another alternative is to use an employment agency or a head hunter - it's not just for receptionists (or high profile executives). An even better idea is to decide what sort of company you want to work for and establish a relationship with them. And lastly, it may be to your advantage to fly in for a few days when there is a job fair and several big companies will be there all at once with infomration about positions they have available and you can meet their recruiters in person - that way you could kill many birds with one stone (plane ticket).

Good luck and welcome to LA!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:34 PM

130 posts, read 466,185 times
Well I'm certainly not expecting 10K to get me through the year or even 6 months. But I think it will suffice for 2-3 months. By then I should be able to land a job. What do you all think a landlord would think about me having a temp job?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:39 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,004 times
I wouldn't worry too much about it. When things are right, it will all fall into place. Don't stress.

Ok, now that THAT is out of the way.

Expect to pay first and last month's rent up front, AND a 1 month (maybe more) deposit. That should kill a good bit of your 10k...

In 2003 I got a job out here from Colorado where the company paid my moving expenses. That was a bonus. But when I moved out here previously in '99, I just moved out here, and started applying. It took me a month, but I got a great gig back then too. In any case, you can make it work.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2007, 08:07 PM

134 posts, read 562,332 times
Default Spanish?

I doubt you will find anything if you don't speak the official languge here which is Spanish.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,582 times
Desert, although that is halfway true, it is not very encouraging, and for all you know, this person could be a fluent Spanish speaker and that had nothing to do with her question. I am doing the opposite move (CA to the midwest) and I am planning on moving in with a roommate until I find a job. I will see what my options are then. That way, I can save money in the beginning for moving expenses anyhow. If you end up working temp, you will start getting a paystub from the temp agency. If you can show that to your landlord, they may take it, depending on what times the rent they want you to be bringing in. Some apartments don't require first and last. In fact, in the 3 apartments I've lived in in the past 4 years, none of them have even required first month's rent...just a deposit (this ranged from $99-$600...the $99 was a special for good credit though). I feel like moving before finding a job, if you can do it, is almost better just because applying and going for interviews is much more convenient, plus you can see if you like living in the area. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2007, 08:48 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,582 times
Or "his" question...sorry I didn't mean to assume.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 27,985 times
Default Living in LA

Bronze,

I was born and raised in Hollywood and am 39 now. I have watched this town grow so much and to almost hemerage. I still love it here, but if you're looking to raise Family it's tough.

Rents are going up every year with buying a dificult proposition. I don't know where you are looking, but expect to pay 1k+ for a one bdr. But remember, even high priced areas are still contain crime. It's sometimes, good block bad block, good apartment and next door, gang infested. If you're on a tight buget, you may want to find a guest house, BUT BE CARFULL.

Don't get me wrong, folks move here all the time and succeed and others have had enough and take their good and bad expiriences and leave " no shame".

My household income is now 90+k/yr. I rent and manage my apt building and my Wife and I hold full time jobs. We don't suffer at all. We have no children at this time, but once we do, we're outta here. The Public schools are the worst and private won't be an option.

As ar as your 40k / yr, don't sell yourself short. Companies out here want good people with skills. You may want to study up on California's labor laws, they are the most Liberal in the country. Esecially, study up on FMLOA, Sex harass and most of all workers comp. Workers comp is the free insurance here.

Worst of all I haven't found a " Cracker Barrel" here.

My Wife is from St Louis and that's where wer'e headed when we have school aged kids.

Again, don't get me wrong, if your young and ambitious or just want to experience Los Angeles " GO FOR IT" you can do well.

Just make sure your put on your street smarts, trust no one.

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: