Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:46 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times

Advertisements

If you're all having such a hard time making friends why not do something about it and have a forum gathering? Meet up at a nice bar/pub and get to know each other a lot better. Have some drinks. Meet your future ex wife/husband (kidding. relax).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 06:55 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
If you're all having such a hard time making friends why not do something about it and have a forum gathering? Meet up at a nice bar/pub and get to know each other a lot better. Have some drinks. Meet your future ex wife/husband (kidding. relax).
I've always wondered that myself, but you don't read too much about forum gatherings happening. Also, a gathering in the LA/OC area is difficult just because it is so spread out. Where to have it? A happy hour or restaurant? A picnic at a park?

Denver's CD forum had a successful Happy Hour:

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...appy-hour.html

We tried a meet up in Colorado Springs but it flew like a lead zeppelin. I think CD people like to be anonymous. CD is their social outlet either due to time constraints or introverted personalities.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Sounds like a great idea. Just give me plenty of notice so I can get permission from my parole officer. Don't want the ankle bracelet to go off.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:25 PM

4 posts, read 10,147 times
I sure am having a hard time making new friends! Any decent people around

Old 10-12-2009, 10:09 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
I started this thread so you guys can all gather up but already it's fizzing out. So many people complain yet you'd think they would be more involved in this post and do something about it but no. I don't get it.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,505 times
seriously, who is up to meet? I tried meetup.com but found that it was a place that people could still be flaky or that one had to wait a month before a decent event... seriously... anyone down to meet? I am pretty sad nowadays I really miss DC..... kparpovic@gmail.com

Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
I started this thread so you guys can all gather up but already it's fizzing out. So many people complain yet you'd think they would be more involved in this post and do something about it but no. I don't get it.
I think things like City-Data forum allow people who might not otherwise socialize to do so. It's anonymous social intervention. Another reason is a lot of us don't have time to socialize.

We had a great group of posters on the Colorado Springs City-Data forum. Friendly people, lots of newcomers, etc and we tried to have a meetup. It failed like a lead zeppelin.

Also, for an LA meetup, it would be tough to pick a place as LA is so spread out. If we ever had one, it would probably need to be on the weekend, and something that could accommodate kids. I would have preferred one at a park or something, not a restaurant (can't mingle as easily also hassle to bring squirmy kids).

Now, the Denver forum had a great Happy Hour meet up and it went over great. The neat thing was people took a few photos and we forum members could see what these anonymous posters really looked like.

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...appy-hour.html

I almost got one started in Huntsville, then I got lazy. I'm sure we could have had a fairly decent one: lots of newcomers, small easy to commute town, lots of families with kids, a couple of good candidate centralized locations, etc.

Maybe something like Griffith Park? Sort of central, lots of converging freeways converge nearby, playground, picnic tables, etc. My suggestions for COS and HSV were to grill and mingle.

I'm all for it.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,697 times
In addition to busy schedules and maintaining anonymity, there may be reluctance for a face to face meeting due to the snarkiness and nastiness that crops up on some posts. I assume most people are nicer in person than when cloaked behind a keyboard but why risk making the acquaintance of a jerk?

Why not have a video conference? No worries about (drunk) driving, wrangling kids, spending money, putting on clean clothes...

Old 02-04-2010, 03:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
millions of people and no one can meet anyone around here? I make new friends where ever I go. maybe it is an attitude that someone needs to have. I for one could care less what people think of me. I can talk in most groups without any hang ups. I think that for the most part people get choked up in a group setting and want to impress everyone. Just be yourself and ask about those around you. Find some common ground. With all the differant kind of people in LA don't you think it would be fun to learn how others live, survive, or even meet new people? Too many interesting people not to get to know some of them.

When you are out getting a drink, coffee, eating, or what ever, do you take time to talk to the person getting your food or drink? What about the guy or girl that lives next door to you, ever said hello and started a conversation?

I see it as a shame that we have all these people here, and chances are they are also trying to meet others, and we don't take the time to say hello.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,578 times
How about the Rose Bowl as a meetup place? I bike there all the time anyway, everyone knows it, outdoors...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles