Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 08:41 AM

135 posts, read 134,724 times

Advertisements

Okay, so browsing the temps, December is the coldest month with a high of 68 and a low of 48. Basically, sweater or a light jacket in the morning, but shorts and a t-shirt by the end of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 09:02 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,105 times
Truthfully it depends on your level of tolerance. I have never felt the need to jacket up, but I am not from here. Natives tend to jacket up near December, but I find it obnoxious how little tolerance people have for the chill. A wool flannel is probably the most any non-native would truly need.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:43 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
yesterday was kinda hot

Old 12-10-2015, 08:33 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
I can't help but make fun of the people wearing puffy long North Face winter coats, scarves, beanies, and gloves when the highs only reach the mid 50s and lows drop scarily low to 40-42. Not exaggerating. Seen that before when it was 58* out. Generally though, if you're a normal person, LA winters are just a light hoodie during the day on the coldest days, maybe a long sleeve on a normal day, and possibly a t shirt on warm days. At night, a light jacket is appropriate, but you shouldn't need a puffy jacket unless you're coming from Miami or Honolulu.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:46 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I can't help but make fun of the people wearing puffy long North Face winter coats, scarves, beanies, and gloves when the highs only reach the mid 50s and lows drop scarily low to 40-42. Not exaggerating. Seen that before when it was 58* out. Generally though, if you're a normal person, LA winters are just a light hoodie during the day on the coldest days, maybe a long sleeve on a normal day, and possibly a t shirt on warm days. At night, a light jacket is appropriate, but you shouldn't need a puffy jacket unless you're coming from Miami or Honolulu.
I can't help but feel annoyed when others, like yourself, see an Angeleno bundled up when temps drop and make fun of them because they don't believe they're cold, when they are.

I'm one of those abnormal people who bundle up when it hits 50 or 40 degrees. Do you know why? It's because I'm FREEZING. Are you saying I'm imagining it? I'm not actually cold, I just think I am?

It's funny when people make fun of Angelenos when we get cold (that's so dumb, by the way...it's warm throughout the majority of the year in Los Angeles, OF COURSE anything below 65 is considered cold to us), but people from other parts of the country can very well be made fun of, too. I went to New York to visit family in winter of 2013, and as I watched the news with my grandma, the weather came up and the weather man said it would be 65 degrees that day, and claimed it was "record heat." Sixty-five degrees is most definitely not considered hot in Los Angeles, but it apparently is in New York. Weather is subjective because it differs from location to location. Someone who understands that wouldn't "make fun of" or mock people who experience different weather patterns and dress accordingly.

Light hoodies and t-shirts in a Los Angeles winter is a great exaggeration. I love it when people undermine the Los Angeles cold. My dad is from Brooklyn and complains about the cold in Los Angeles during winter every year.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:59 PM

I am an Angeleno. Born and raised native. I never owned a coat until I moved to SF for college. And I always left the heavier jackets in SF when visiting in LA. The only reason I had a heavy coat was when visiting family in NYC. I only recently started buying more after moving some where that snows. We know you're freezing and that's the part that makes it kinda funny. I'm not trying to be mean to people who find 50s cold, but it is still funny seeing people wearing clothes in LA in the 50s that the rest of the county would be wearing in the 20s or 30s.

I've spent every single year of my life in LA for winter. I've never spent a winter outside LA. I've never once needed anything more than a light hoodie during the day or a light jacket at night.

65 is hot for winter in other parts of the country, yes, but many parts of the country also get as hot as if not hotter than LA in summer...especially the beach cities. But in winter, you don't see New Yorkers sweating in the 60s. Not the same analogy.

So yeah, I do understand that weather is different. But to most people not from SoCal or Miami, 50s is not winter weather.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HDhmQuSLRg

Old 12-10-2015, 09:14 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I am an Angeleno. Born and raised native. I never owned a coat until I moved to SF for college. And I always left the heavier jackets in SF when visiting in LA. The only reason I had a heavy coat was when visiting family in NYC. I only recently started buying more after moving some where that snows. We know you're freezing and that's the part that makes it kinda funny. I'm not trying to be mean to people who find 50s cold, but it is still funny seeing people wearing clothes in LA in the 50s that the rest of the county would be wearing in the 20s or 30s.

I've spent every single year of my life in LA for winter. I've never spent a winter outside LA. I've never once needed anything more than a light hoodie during the day or a light jacket at night.

65 is hot for winter in other parts of the country, yes, but many parts of the country also get as hot as if not hotter than LA in summer...especially the beach cities. But in winter, you don't see New Yorkers sweating in the 60s. Not the same analogy.

So yeah, I do understand that weather is different. But to most people not from SoCal or Miami, 50s is not winter weather.
So just because you never owned a coat before moving to San Francisco, it makes those of us who've owned coats for years look silly? don't understand why it's funny to you. And it is the same analogy. If a New Yorker considers 65 degrees in the winter hot and decides to wear less clothing, what's so different? They have to sweat in order for their feeling of heat to be validated?

This thread is not about what people in other countries/cities consider to be winter weather.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:19 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
So just because you never owned a coat before moving to San Francisco, it makes those of us who've owned coats for years look silly? don't understand why it's funny to you. And it is the same analogy. If a New Yorker considers 65 degrees in the winter hot and decides to wear less clothing, what's so different? They have to sweat in order for their feeling of heat to be validated?

This thread is not about what people in other countries/cities consider to be winter weather.
The OP is obviously not from LA and is asking about winter weather. It IS about other country's/city's winter weather.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I can't help but feel annoyed when others, like yourself, see an Angeleno bundled up when temps drop and make fun of them because they don't believe they're cold, when they are.

I'm one of those abnormal people who bundle up when it hits 50 or 40 degrees. Do you know why? It's because I'm FREEZING. Are you saying I'm imagining it? I'm not actually cold, I just think I am?

It's funny when people make fun of Angelenos when we get cold (that's so dumb, by the way...it's warm throughout the majority of the year in Los Angeles, OF COURSE anything below 65 is considered cold to us), but people from other parts of the country can very well be made fun of, too. I went to New York to visit family in winter of 2013, and as I watched the news with my grandma, the weather came up and the weather man said it would be 65 degrees that day, and claimed it was "record heat." Sixty-five degrees is most definitely not considered hot in Los Angeles, but it apparently is in New York. Weather is subjective because it differs from location to location. Someone who understands that wouldn't "make fun of" or mock people who experience different weather patterns and dress accordingly.

Light hoodies and t-shirts in a Los Angeles winter is a great exaggeration. I love it when people undermine the Los Angeles cold. My dad is from Brooklyn and complains about the cold in Los Angeles during winter every year.
Please do not use us when referring to yourself or to some people. There are those of us who understand that 65 degrees, wherever it is, is cool/slightly warm, but hardly cold. Granted humidity can change what 65 feels like a bit, but for the most part, whether one is in Iceland or Mexico, 65 is just cool i.e. not cold. It is not relevant what the temperature is the rest of the year insofar as what 65 feels like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles