Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:02 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times

Advertisements

Hopefully you find what you are looking for. Posts like this tell me more about the person than the place they are leaving. The bitterness in the OP is the giveaway. Bitterness is INTERNAL. Changing location or situation often does nothing to erase it.

With that said, good luck in Arkansas.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:27 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
CESpeed, forgive me, but I thought you were already gone??
I leave on Oct 22nd. I can't wait. It took a lot longer than I anticipated.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808n310 View Post
I'm sorry I just can't imagine moving from LA to a town of 40k...I'd go insane...hopefully you got one heck of an increase in quality of life....e.g. traded in a 1br condo for a 4br house on an acre or something like that....
My one bedroom apt which will fit a queen sized bed is $300 per month.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
A concrete cage? LA is nothing like Chicago, New York, or even San Fran. Compared to those places, we here in LA have breathing room.
Not for long and I'm glad to be leaving before that happens.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
True, but it doesn't have that suffocating feeling other areas do. I do get frustrated, since I have to commute all over the city and valley.
But when I see other places and the hassle it is just to drive a few miles, and to find parking, and the packed humanity on the streets, I understand how that can be more overwhelming. This sounds exactly like LA to me. It makes me appreciate how LA is broken up into more digestible pieces. It used to be.

As much as I love SF, when I came home this weekend, I felt really happy coming home to my duplex on a tree lined hill in the middle of the city, that I only pay 700 a month in my share of rent. And driving down wide boulevards, finding parking a lot easier, and being able to walk down the sidewalk without being hassled by homeless people for money every couple steps. It's not nature, but its a city that's easier to digest than the really concrete boxes that some people live in.
I used to feel that way.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Maybe OP is a frustrated actor who never made it past waiter?
Or maybe she was born and raised in LA lived her efor over 30 years and hate seeing what a once beautiful city is becoming?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:08 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Or maybe she was born and raised in LA lived her efor over 30 years and hate seeing what a once beautiful city is becoming?
You sound like you really need some attention.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!
and good riddance to YOU!!!!

im glad you can go be happy somewhere and not poison us with your toxicicity. we dont need it.

may your new home offer you the peace and joy that i have in LA.

calling LA a wasteland is pretty ignorant by the way...

and petty.
we dont need you.
seriously, good riddance and maybe you can learn to smile now.
I think your post is pretty petty!!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 PM

293 posts, read 893,555 times
Talking Hahaha!

You guys are funny!

So anywho, good luck out there

Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 AM

52 posts, read 206,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hot Springs is pretty small so it doesn't take to much crime to put it up there. As for metro area, I can't imagine any study putting Hot Springs in the metro catagory. By the way, have you been there lately or spent much time there period???

Oh, did you notice the date of that stat?

NIta
I'm afraid you are wrong, Nita. Hot Springs, AR is an MSA as defined by the Census Bureau: http://www.census.gov/population/cen...t29/tab03b.xls

About that crime ranking, here's a description of its methodology by the people who made it:
Quote:
The methodology for determining America’s Safest City and Metro Area involves a multi-step process. First, 2005 city and metro area crime rates per 100,000 population (the most recent comparable final numbers available, released by the FBI in September 2006) for six basic crime categories — murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft — were plugged into a formula that measured how a particular city or metro area compared to the national average for a given crime category. The outcome of this equation was then multiplied by a weight assigned to each of the six crime categories. Each of the six crimes was given equal weight. By weighting each crime equally, cities are compared based purely on their crime rates and how they stack up to the national average for a particular crime category. These weighted numbers then were added together for a city or metro area’s final score. Finally, these scores were ranked from lowest to highest to determine which cities and metropolitan areas were safest and most dangerous.
Link: Methodology

Assuming the ranking's formula is a sensible one (no way of knowing since it's not disclosed) and supposing that crime stats had not been juked beyond recognition by local agencies, the fact that Hot Springs, AK managed to register so much more crime than the national average for such a tiny city (80,000+ in the entire "metropolitan" area!) makes it sound like, I don't know, the worst parts of L.A.? (well, least in 2005)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles