Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 PM

20 posts, read 71,506 times

Advertisements

I am "thinking" about moving down to LA or San Diego (where I grew up)!! Yes I know all the bad situations...jobs, housing, homeless, etc.... But from what I see the majority of problems are the --above blue collar-- workers that have major debt., problems and houses that are not worth much now.
I am just speculating so if I am miss-informed please let me know!!! I have 2 houses here in spokane, Wa. with one for sale now, and will use the profit from it as a down payment on a house down there, I am looking into foreclosure/short-sale houses, and I have an RV I can stay in until I find a job and a house to buy. My career field is in assembling automotive motors, welding aluminum/steel, and shipping/recieving. Are there blue-collar NON-computer, sales, IT type jobs around down there??? Thank you....Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 10:02 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
No, it's not just the white-collar workers with houses that are having financial difficulties. It's in almost all sectors, as everything is connected. There are some jobs, but you'll be competing with a lot of other people who also want them. There have been major ripple effects across the board.

I hope someone with recent experience in your particular field will jump in here, but I think it's safe to say that the bad economy has taken its toll on blue collar workers, too. I can't find the statistics right now, but in fact I think the blue collar unemployment rate is higher than the white collar type jobs, due in part to slowed construction, shipping, manufacturing, not to mention the ongoing movement of jobs overseas.

I think it depends on how much savings you have and how willing you are to take a risk. Housing prices aren't likely to go up anytime soon, so you have time on your side.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:20 PM

Thanks!! Good info, I appreciate it!!!...Ken

Old 10-16-2009, 11:50 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
There is welding work to be had here. There are a few places around that assemble/create aluminum for airplanes and such. A friend of mine owns one such business in Santa Ana and I know of another in La Palma. Of course, there is a lot of blue collar work in the South Bay with the ports, more aerospace, and big oil. CA has the most manufacturing of any state at this point in time last I remember, so the work is here somewhere.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperimpala View Post
My career field is in assembling automotive motors
Not sure how specific your skill set is, but qualified automotive mechanics are always in demand. (Isn't that impression we all have when we need our cars worked on? These guys are always busy.)

Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, Job Outlook, BLS

Old 10-17-2009, 10:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperimpala View Post
I am "thinking" about moving down to LA or San Diego (where I grew up)!! Yes I know all the bad situations...jobs, housing, homeless, etc.... But from what I see the majority of problems are the --above blue collar-- workers that have major debt., problems and houses that are not worth much now.
I am just speculating so if I am miss-informed please let me know!!! I have 2 houses here in spokane, Wa. with one for sale now, and will use the profit from it as a down payment on a house down there, I am looking into foreclosure/short-sale houses, and I have an RV I can stay in until I find a job and a house to buy. My career field is in assembling automotive motors, welding aluminum/steel, and shipping/recieving. Are there blue-collar NON-computer, sales, IT type jobs around down there??? Thank you....Ken
actually blue collar jobs are just as hard to come by as white collar, in some fields harder. Are the jobs in your field available, that I can not answer. As for houses being cheap or good deals, no, many areas are still among the highest in the country. Yes, the home prices have tumbled hard, but don't expect to get something that is dirt cheap. Even foreclures are still high.

Nita

Old 10-17-2009, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback & info. I am NOT an auto tech, just an engine assembler. WAY more schooling for the tech. (lots of computer diagnosis on cars now a days). The houses I have been looking at on some realtor websites shows houses (that ---appear--- to look good) are in the 200-250,000 range. I am going to get back down there some way, some how!!! I know it isn't the same as when I lived there but, non stop perfect weather for Harley riding, and custom car cruising, is the place for me. Plus the ocean, disney, wild animal park, all the family things for me, the wife and kids too enjoy together!!!! Thanks again...Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles