U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 10:54 PM

19 posts, read 39,978 times

Advertisements

Hi there, did a search already, but didn't find much. Anyone living out there in the boonies that can share some insight into commutes, weather, schools, etc? Looks lovely but what's the reality? Commute to Woodland Hills, not LA. Mapquest puts it at 1 hr 10 minutes.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 12:15 PM

1,506 posts, read 5,216,562 times
I don't know where Green Valley is, but the drive from Santa Clarita to WH is 70 minutes if there is not much traffic. During rush hours it could take much more. Check on sigalert and google maps/traffic. You can actually look at different times of the day traffic on these websites to get a general idea.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:16 PM

191 posts, read 543,643 times
I drive from Valencia to Woodland Hills every day. I live off the 5 at Magic Mtn.

It takes 35 minutes no traffic, 45 minutes (moderate) to 60 (heavy) with traffic.

Longest was 1.5 hours, but that was a day with multiple accidents and road closure on Balboa.

Living off the 14 freeway could add 15-20 minutes to the times quoted above.

Good luck.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I don't know where Green Valley is, but the drive from Santa Clarita to WH is 70 minutes if there is not much traffic.
Hi 00molavi,

This isn't consistent with the dozen or so people I work with, all of whom live in Santa Clarita (Newhall, Canyon Country, Valencia, Stevenson Ranch).

It's 35-45 minutes going in, 45-60 coming home. That's 5 -> 405 -> 118 -> De Soto or Porter Ranch inbound, Porter Ranch/De-Soto -> 118 -> 5 or Balboa coming home. Avoid the 405 in the evenings at all costs.

Last edited by NickelDime; 10-18-2009 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 12:28 AM

1,506 posts, read 5,216,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDime View Post
Hi 00molavi,

This isn't consistent with the dozen or so people I work with, all of whom live in Santa Clarita (Newhall, Canyon Country, Valencia, Stevenson Ranch).

It's 35-45 minutes going in, 45-60 coming home. That's 5 -> 405 -> 118 -> De Soto or Porter Ranch inbound, Porter Ranch/De-Soto -> 118 -> 5 or Balboa coming home. Avoid the 405 in the evenings at all costs.
I take the 5 to 170, and get off on Roscoe or Sherman way. 35 minutes is usually an average day, going in. I am sure the time of day makes a difference. It seems like the 405 to 118 and the rest might have less traffic. I am even less sure about the return trip because for the most part I don't care. Whatever time I get home, the errands have been happily waiting. In either case you have to relax and have some favorite radio shows to listen to.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:07 AM

Thanks - wondered about Valencia as well. Turns out the place we were looking at is too far in the boonies and not that nice. Appreciate the info!

Old 10-19-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlendyWee View Post
Thanks - wondered about Valencia as well. Turns out the place we were looking at is too far in the boonies and not that nice. Appreciate the info!
Here are some great family friendly options within a 45 minute (average, one-way) commute to Woodland Hills:

- Simi Valley / Moorpark
- Thousand Oaks
- Agoura / Oak Park
- Valencia / Stevenson Ranch / Westridge et al

These are all safe areas with great schools, plenty of neighbors with kids, great services (library, rec centers, parks/rec programs, etc) and are largely middle class areas and affordable.

The other option would be Burbank, but that is more on the urban end of the spectrum (but is family-friendly nonetheless).

Good luck.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Even more great info, thanks! Hopefully we can find what we need - I really think the main difficulty we will have is renting with 3 dogs. We definitely don't want to spend too much time commuting, but after living in AZ we really need a break from the heat.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlendyWee View Post
Even more great info, thanks! Hopefully we can find what we need - I really think the main difficulty we will have is renting with 3 dogs. We definitely don't want to spend too much time commuting, but after living in AZ we really need a break from the heat.
Understood. The beach areas are quite cool, even when the rest of the area is boiling hot. On the flip side, they can also be quite overcast at times when the rest of the LA basin is clear and temperate.

It's all relative. Some of the hottest parts of the LA area (IE, the valleys) are quite tolerable compared with AZ - largely because they cool off at night and the hot months go from late June to early October. So it's 3+ months of hot temps vs 5+ months in AZ, but again, it's quite nice from 7pm -> 11am here even in the middle of summer. There are some days that are exceptions and you have to run the AC overnight, but we're talking about a handful of days. This is especially true in the Santa Clarita valley, which tends to cool off in the evening an hour or more before the San Fernando Valley - even on days when it is a degree or two warmer.

Talk about relativity: My wife grew up in coastal orange county and is ready to turn on the AC when it's anything over 30°C/85°F!! We have neighbors from the midwest are thankful for the lack of humidity that are outside in 35°C/95°F praising the weather.

If weather is a really big deal, you might want to look at the South Bay or Ventura - both would be 45 minutes - 1.25 hours to Woodland Hills (though many do it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles