Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:13 AM

644 posts, read 3,320,486 times

Advertisements

Many a times I've taken my dog for walks up to the Griffith Park Observatory. It's so sad to see the area on fire. Has anyone driven through or live near the area? What can you tell us about the inferno?

Artie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 08:16 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,486 times
I drove to my dog obedience training class in the eastern-most part of the Park near Los Feliz Blvd. When I left, it was the 200 acre fire atop the mountain, near the Observatory (non-natives, the focal location of "Rebel Without A Cause") as reported: by the time I arrived, the fire had spread over the top and began descending the hill eastwards, scarily visible. Of course everyone left, amid the falling ashes and choking smoke.

It is now the worst L.A./urban fire since the 1961 Bel Air fire. Every person in the L.A. basin now can see this fire, since its locale, the Hollywood Hills, are those which divide L.A. from the Valley. The landmarks threatened are the Obseratory, the Autry Western Museum, the Carousel, the Los Angeles Zoo and the popular hiking trails. Lower down are the L.A. Equestrian Center, Travel Town, and many popular areas of this huge park. I for one am worried about the Zoo animals: although their areas are designed against flammibility, evacuation would be impossible.

Here's some of the lessons for would be relocators: many of the areas often recommended to people here are in eminent danger, the Los Feliz area, the Hollywood Hills, the hiking trails, the Autry Museum, etc. Our draught is real, and intensified this fire; our fire season is all too real; the Santa Ana (hot desert) winds which kept this fire from being controlled are all too real; and the prolonged hot (as opposed to warm and nice) weather in the high 90's by early May is all too real.

As of 5/9/07, 7 a.m., the fire has spread to over 300 acres, and is less than 40% controlled. It is forecast to remain in the mid to upper 90's with bad wind conditions as well, so today should be telling.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:28 AM

Great summary, Fastfilm. Anyone who wants to learn more can visit latimes.com for the latest information. Locals have been posting pictures and describing the scene as they drive by. My neighbor was at the Dresden Room last night and said the police came by and said they may have to evacuate. Evacuate the Dresden Room!!! He said ashes were coming out of the sky the size of his hand.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:07 AM

The heat lately has been tough too. Many of these old apartments don't have A/C. I can't put one in because of my French windows and an outdated electrical system, so my place bakes. And when it gets this uncomfortable, it's hard to get anything done. I don't recall it getting this warm in May before.

Artie

Old 05-09-2007, 11:49 AM

128 posts, read 461,630 times
chant: " global warming, cha, cha, chachacha , global warming... cha cha cha cha cha

Last edited by Candid Canuck; 05-09-2007 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-09-2007, 05:58 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
The zoo wasn't in that much danger, and all of the animals are fine. If worst came to worst, though, they'd crate the California condors up and move them to the parking lot. The California condor is still an endangered species, and the zoo is an integral part of the breeding program.

The media coverage was amusing... For instance, a newswoman asked a fire chief, "Do your firefighters ever get any breaks or a chance to rest?" My snide reply would have been: "No, we work them until they drop dead, and then the replacement firefighters bury them." I mean, duh!

Or this morning a newsman was interviewing a firefighter who had been up all night. "You look a little tired." Jeez! I'm afraid that I would have said something like: "Yes, I'm tired, you moron. Didn't you just tell your viewers that I've been here all night?"

I never saw any flames, but I certainly saw the smoke. I'm afraid there will be a lot more fires before the summer and fall are over.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:51 PM

I was reading that even television coverage of the event was spotty as stations didn't want to interrupt regular programming. It just shows what's important to people.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:43 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
I was reading that even television coverage of the event was spotty as stations didn't want to interrupt regular programming. It just shows what's important to people.
It's not news.

Maybe you havent noticed, but it's mostly sensationalism... I was working on my laptop with the TV on in the background. No matter WHICH LA station I tuned into, they showed the same thing:

Tom Tucker, Newscaster- "Reporting live is Channel 5 Action News reporter Trisha Takanawa... Trisha, what can you tell us?"

Trisha- "Thanks Tom! It appears that there's nothing much new to report here, the fire is still burning. Let's keep looking at these clips of flames."

Cut to fire footage.

Fire. Fire. Fire. snore...

Trisha- "The LAPD and county FD are really working hard to put this fire out. (GEE REALLY?) And here's an interview with a firefighter recorded earlier."

Cut to interview.

Fireman- "We're really working hard to put the fire out. Our main goal is to suppress the flames."

Trisha- "Well there you have it folks, the PLAY by PLAY. Back to you Tom!"

Tom Tucker, Newscaster- "Thanks Trisha! Now we will resume your previously scheduled program."

Etc.

It's not about priorities. It's about: The news is worthless.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
It's not news.

Maybe you havent noticed, but it's mostly sensationalism... I was working on my laptop with the TV on in the background. No matter WHICH LA station I tuned into, they showed the same thing:

Tom Tucker, Newscaster- "Reporting live is Channel 5 Action News reporter Trisha Takanawa... Trisha, what can you tell us?"

Trisha- "Thanks Tom! It appears that there's nothing much new to report here, the fire is still burning. Let's keep looking at these clips of flames."

Cut to fire footage.

Fire. Fire. Fire. snore...

Trisha- "The LAPD and county FD are really working hard to put this fire out. (GEE REALLY?) And here's an interview with a firefighter recorded earlier."

Cut to interview.

Fireman- "We're really working hard to put the fire out. Our main goal is to suppress the flames."

Trisha- "Well there you have it folks, the PLAY by PLAY. Back to you Tom!"

Tom Tucker, Newscaster- "Thanks Trisha! Now we will resume your previously scheduled program."

Etc.

It's not about priorities. It's about: The news is worthless.
You're right. I'd much rather hear about Paris Hilton going to jail, Phil Spector's murder trial, OJ getting kicked out of a steak restaurant in Kentucky, and Anna Nicole's mystery baby then some dumb old fire burning out of control in the middle of Los Angeles. This city is in a state of moral decay. All anyone cares about is their cell phone, what kind of car they drive, or what they look like, or what the person they're dating looks like. It is the most intellectually vapid town I've ever lived in.

How about you, JackSparrow, what were you watching while all those annoying little bursts of real news were on television?

Artie

Last edited by artichoke63; 05-09-2007 at 08:03 PM..

Old 05-09-2007, 08:31 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
You're right. I'd much rather hear about Paris Hilton going to jail, Phil Spector's murder trial, OJ getting kicked out of a steak restaurant in Kentucky, and Anna Nicole's mystery baby then some dumb old fire burning out of control in the middle of Los Angeles. This city is in a state of moral decay. All anyone cares about is their cell phone, what kind of car they drive, or what they look like, or what the person they're dating looks like. It is the most intellectually vapid town I've ever lived in.

How about you, JackSparrow, what were you watching while all those annoying little bursts of real news were on television?

Artie
Can you hear that? ZZZZOOOOOOMMMMMM???

Did you hear it?

It was the sound of the point flying right over your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles