Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:52 PM

399 posts, read 727,788 times

Advertisements

Did anyone ever go to a show at the Universal Ampitheatre when it was still an outdoor venue? I did! Saw Steve Martin (w/ opening act The Blues Brothers) there in September 1978. Steve was there for the entire week, IIRC, I went to the Friday night show on 9/15, a friend of mine went to the Wednesday show, and that night, the Blues Brothers recorded their first album (Briefcase full of Blues). I think Steve filmed part of his show that night for a TV special that aired later on.

Funny thing, I didn't have a car back then, so I took RTD from where I was living (4th St near Western Av in L. A.), I was on the old 93 line, which ran on the frontage road of the 101 Freeway, and on the freeway itsef was a Gardena Municipal Bus Lines bus, obviously chartered going to the show, and inside was a bunch of Japanese-American teenagers with the Steve Martin arrows through the head/balloons/rabbit ears. Hilarious!

I think the Ampitheatre was enclosed around 1980 or 1981.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Whoever told you that was either:

A. Living in a bubble during their years in the SFV
B. High during their years in the SFV
C. Pulling your chain
D. Senile
OK, what was your experience growing up in the SFV during the 50s, 60s, or 70s then?

Old 10-25-2010, 06:23 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
I didn't grow up in the SFV during that period, but I did grow up in So Cal during all or parts of each decade, and no place in the Greater L.A. Metropolitan area was "pretty much paradise. No worries and no troubles. No real laws or restrictions, but people were always friendly and behaved".

Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 PM

How do you know, were you present in every part of greater LA metro during that time?

Anyway, I was exaggerating, the point is, compared to today, there were less worries and troubles, less real laws and restrictions, and people were more friendly and behaved.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
How do you know, were you present in every part of greater LA metro during that time?
I didn't have to be, I was alive and living life and well aware that there is no such thing as paradise. Hell, you weren't even BORN and you're waxing melodramatic about how idyllic life was back then.

Quote:
Anyway, I was exaggerating, the point is, compared to today, there were less worries and troubles, less real laws and restrictions, and people were more friendly and behaved.
That's better, son. Now I approve.

EDIT: Actually, I don't fully approve. Please read up on the rules of grammar that dictate when to use less and when to use fewer.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:32 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:

Except for the "behaved" part you actually described '60s Laurel Canyon pretty well!

Old 10-25-2010, 06:48 PM

you live in Fontana, not LA, which is like a whole other country, so I'm not sure what your experience in old LA is. I may not have been alive during the good old days, but I'm piecing my information together from dozens of people your age who actually lived in LA.

Majoun, yes, and by behaved I'm not talking about drug or party behavior. That is good behavior.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:03 PM

749 posts, read 1,862,103 times
Quote:
I WISH I grew up in the valley back then. From what I heard (family lived in Studio City for decades) it was pretty much paradise. No worries and no troubles. No real laws or restrictions, but people were always friendly and behaved.
I DID grow up in the SFV during that time from ( mostly the '70's & '80's). Paradise? Definitely NOT in my book.

A very BORING place in many respects...the excitement was always "over the hill" be that Hollywood, Downtown, or the Westside. The FIRST thing I wanted to do when I turned 18 was to get the HELL out of the valley. And that is what I did.....even "seedy" Hollywood was far more desirable (and fun).

But I guess if you are into Ozzie and Harriet you'd probably love the Valley of the late 50's or early 60's.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
you live in Fontana, not LA, which is like a whole other country
I'm 55 years old and have lived in Fontana for 6 of those 55 years. BZZZZZT!

Quote:
so I'm not sure what your experience in old LA is.
Born there.
Lived there.
Went to some school there.
And for 25 years, worked there. BZZZZZT!

Ask those people my age about the Wichstand at Slauson & Overhill.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:07 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
I DID grow up in the SFV during that time from ( mostly the '70's & '80's). Paradise? Definitely NOT in my book.

A very BORING place in many respects...the excitement was always "over the hill" be that Hollywood, Downtown, or the Westside. The FIRST thing I wanted to do when I turned 18 was to get the HELL out of the valley. And that is what I did.....even "seedy" Hollywood was far more desirable (and fun).

But I guess if you are into Ozzie and Harriet you'd probably love the Valley of the late 50's or early 60's.
And growing up in the 1990's and 2000s, it still IS pretty boring. Even after all the high octane fun of living in the East Valley (North Hollywood and Sun Valley are pretty much my stomping grounds growing up), there is still relatively going on here compared to the rest of LA.

However, I like the fact that I didn't grow up with as many pretentious jack-holes that LA seems to be known for. It's just "Anyplace, USA" with pretty awesome weather (even though the last few days have been weird)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm 55 years old and have lived in Fontana for 6 of those 55 years. BZZZZZT!
Wow..you're the same age as my dad. I love talking to long-time LA residents and asking about the changes that have been going on.

What's sad is my friends who live in the IE make fun of how boring the Valley is....seriously! That's what I consider "a low blow"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles