Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:14 PM

79 posts, read 170,815 times

Advertisements

Does anyone feel that it should be a stricter penalty for driving while "holding" a cell phone or texting? I sure do.......how about
1. car impoundment for minimum 24 hours
2. fine of $200 (to be paid in 90 days, or hold vehicle renewal)
3. 1 "8" hour day of traffic school (to be completed in 30 days)
I am suggesting something like this to happen to the violators "the hand held users".
I am also suggesting that all three of the above things happen.

Distracted driving is a real bad thing. I choose not to do either one while driving and I really don't, because I sure would not like my distraction to hurt another human being. There is nothing more important than giving my full attention to the road when driving, other type of distractions (shaving, brushing teeth, yes this really happens, putting in a C.D., even reading a map) don't compare to the level of distractions that cell phone usage and texting have. I don't want to be distracted by talking on a cell phone, your child may be crossing on the crosswalk in front of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,567 times
What are the penalties now? It drives me crazy in general how people these days cannot be quiet anymore? Whether they are walking, driving, eating, shopping...always have to be entertained by a phone call. What did people do before cell phones? They have their place but not when it is infringing on one's safety or others or in a restaurant blabbing away on their hands free while others are trying to have a nice evening or meal or drink or...........

Good post L.A. Diva!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:03 AM

205 posts, read 589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
What are the penalties now? It drives me crazy in general how people these days cannot be quiet anymore? Whether they are walking, driving, eating, shopping...always have to be entertained by a phone call. What did people do before cell phones? They have their place but not when it is infringing on one's safety or others or in a restaurant blabbing away on their hands free while others are trying to have a nice evening or meal or drink or...........

Good post L.A. Diva!

good response osuzana. cell phones are annoying when people do not have manners.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:00 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
Talking on a cell phone or texting while driving should pretty much be in the same class as drunk driving - many 3rd party studies have determined they pretty much negatively impact driving equally.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:41 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Remember the good old days? Remember when a person standing on a street corner babbling to themselves was thought to be crazy? And now, you have to wonder: Are they crazy or do they have Bluetooth?!

(I'd go for severe penalties too. The only time anyone should be on the phone in the car is when there is a 911 emergency or the car is parked.)

Old 10-23-2009, 07:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
It's impossible to see a soccer mom in an SUV or minivan not talking on a cell phone. What in the world are they talking about? Talking to their boyfriends about a rendezvous while husbands are at work?

You're speeding along 70 MPH on any eight lane freeway then, all of a sudden, there's a car doing 60 in the number 2 lane, like a rock in a stream. You pass him on the left and look to your right and, yep, he's on a cell phone, oblivious to the situation.

When we were in SoCal a couple weeks ago, we noticed tons of people on cell phones while on the freeway. No big deal I guess, what's a $200 fine or whatever especially with a slim possibility of getting caught?

Old 10-23-2009, 07:38 AM

689 posts, read 2,582,143 times
Part of the problem is the fine for talking on a cell phone is only $20 for the first offense and $50 for each subsequent offense. Considering a good hands free device is more than $50 what's the motivation to buy one. And with a fine that low cops aren't going to pull someone over unless they have another reason.

For me, I try not to talk on the cell phone while in the car. I find that using a bluetooth device or talking on the handset are both equally distracting. I don't like the earpiece thing, blocks hearing in one ear and generally bugs me. And I haven't found a speaker phone type of hands free device that I like and that is inexpensive. If I get a call I have to take I will make it brief or find a safe place to pull over and continue the conversation.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:59 AM

Having a child in Drivers Training is just the thing to bring you back to the way one is suppose to drive. Not having had a driving test be it written or road since I was 16 gives way for laziness and irresponsibility. The other motivation of course is don't do what you don't want your teen to do while driving which includes not using a cell phone. Most teenage accidents and deaths are due to cell phone use while driving. I think we would all be so much less stressed out if things went back to having to wait till you got home or the office to talk to someone. Don't you?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's impossible to see a soccer mom in an SUV or minivan not talking on a cell phone. What in the world are they talking about? Talking to their boyfriends about a rendezvous while husbands are at work?

You're speeding along 70 MPH on any eight lane freeway then, all of a sudden, there's a car doing 60 in the number 2 lane, like a rock in a stream. You pass him on the left and look to your right and, yep, he's on a cell phone, oblivious to the situation.

When we were in SoCal a couple weeks ago, we noticed tons of people on cell phones while on the freeway. No big deal I guess, what's a $200 fine or whatever especially with a slim possibility of getting caught?
And it seems the bigger the vehicle, the more obvious and oblivious the person is. No cares, no worries, if they drive over you, they'll survive. Maybe not you, but they will.

I was almost rear-ended Wednesday morning by a guy driving one of those huge BMWs. I could see him looking at the phone and holding it up in plain sight of everyone in my rearview mirror, either it was a Blackberry or iPhone, I couldn't quite tell which. Perhaps if he had rearended me eventually, I could have.

It's everywhere. I read where a poster said it doesn't happen in the suburbs; well, maybe on that side of the country it doesn't. Out in California it's everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Parking lots, stores, restaurants...there's no escape.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 10-23-2009 at 03:42 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 09:19 AM

I remember when cell phones were really huge in 1990. I wonder if people would take them everywhere with them now if they stayed that big? I fought my husband like crazy when he wanted me to have a cell. I sucommed only because I had just had a baby but even today I hate to use it but I keep it with me in case the car breaks down or other emergencies. My time alone is just for that....to be alone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles