Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,462 times

Advertisements

Ya I know, another moving topic. Well Ill cut to the chase. Im 22, male and just got back from a trip to LA for 6 days. I feel in love. Im from CT and cant not stand the cold and the same stuff day in and day out.So I would like to move there. The weather is an A+ and all the differant things to do. The question Im asking is where is the most suburbian place in the area? I hit up Burbank area and it seemed like it, but I didnt go far east. I have 2 years of electrical commercial experiance. So how hard will it be for me to find a job (at a good rate) and a place in a safe area with 1 bedroom. I have a truck and a streetbike for transportation, only thing is, not much money saved up to make the move. If my dream to get out there is possible, can I really start saving or is it tough to move out there with the trade/ area of living im asking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 02:22 PM

79 posts, read 170,815 times
I am the type of person who will tell anyone to go for a pursuit that they have, because I usually see the glass as half full. Go for it man, make the move, don't let a lot of nay sayers discourage you. It may be a little rough at first, trying to find a job and all, but, nothing lasts forever. It's just a hurdle that you will have to get over and then eventually you will get a job and settle into living in California. O.K., I can only tell you what I know about the areas that I most familiar with. Since I was not able to be in the better part of L.A., I opted for Long Beach, the downtown area, I'm thinking about affordability for you, well it is affordable if you look at some older buildings (they are not dumps), I am talking about the older apt. buildings that are near the downtown area. They are around there and if you get a single or bachelor that will probably be your cheapest. It's hard to say what they are going for now, but the stuff that I am telling you about are not online on a big commercial apartment complex website, you would have to find these in the rental section of the Long Beach newspaper "The Press Telegram" or Grunion Gazette, also you may find rooms for rent. Well, that's my spill for you, good luck DUDE.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:50 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
the LA area is huge. The most decent suburban places will be in the valley or in/around orange county and long beach/south bay. as far as work, id look to see how much you can make first and where you can make it, because you dont want to move without a job and then get stuck with a 2 hour commute.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:49 PM

95 posts, read 281,339 times
I would advise that you spend a lot more than 6 days out here before deciding to make a move. You can in no way get a feel for how this city is in that short amount of time. After spending more time here you might love it like I did, or you might be like a friend of mine who moved back home after 3 months.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:26 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times
Just remember visiting for a bit is nothing like living somewhere.

I think just about every place I've ever been on vacation to I considered living in, then I remembered I wouldn't be on vacation 24/7 if I moved there

Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosado2165 View Post
Ya I know, another moving topic. Well Ill cut to the chase. Im 22, male and just got back from a trip to LA for 6 days. I feel in love. Im from CT and cant not stand the cold and the same stuff day in and day out.So I would like to move there. The weather is an A+ and all the differant things to do. The question Im asking is where is the most suburbian place in the area? I hit up Burbank area and it seemed like it, but I didnt go far east. I have 2 years of electrical commercial experiance. So how hard will it be for me to find a job (at a good rate) and a place in a safe area with 1 bedroom. I have a truck and a streetbike for transportation, only thing is, not much money saved up to make the move. If my dream to get out there is possible, can I really start saving or is it tough to move out there with the trade/ area of living im asking for?
yep, same question that is asked a couple of times a week. If all the young people who want to come to So Ca were able to get jobs and move there and all those tired of Ca could leave, the average age of the Los Angeles residence would be about 25 I think.

Now, can you make it work? 75% chance you can not right now: some have so it isn't totally impossible.

As for areas and how much money, I wouldn't even think about a move with less than $10,000.00. There are lots of good areas you might like. For a single, mid 20s guy I would look into Pasadena or one of the beach areas.

I think of all the places we have vacationed to in our lives (a hell of a lot) and 90% could be home for me, or so I think when visiting. Lots to do, good weather, etc are important, but there are many down sides as well.

Nita

Old 10-26-2009, 09:32 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
What besides the weather is drawing you to LA? If it's just the weather you can probably find somewhere else with more jobs and cheaper cost of living. Since you're looking for the "most suburban place" why not just go to some other suburban place in some other state? I definitely understand the appeal of LA and see why people would want to move, but if you're just looking for suburbia with warm weather you can find that anywhere, including places with a more robust economy.

If you're serious, I'd save up money for both the move and for another trip out before making up your mind; somewhere south, in Orange County or towards San Diego, might work. In any case, you might as well start saving money now; you can use it for the move, if you move, or for another vacation or scouting trip if you decide to put off an actual move until a later date.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:24 AM

687 posts, read 1,119,567 times
If you are hoping to move to avoid another CT winter, don't. Since I think you are self-employed, save up at least six months of rent,expense money no matter how long it takes you. You sound young enough to take some time and do it the smart way, not an impulsive way just because you want to be here. After you have a good cushion, put out some feelers about a job and see what areas that might put you in. Being self employed is very difficult right now and those without a cushion in today's economy are living very stressful lives.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,462 times
I won't lie, weather is a part if it. But it's definatly not the only reason. I just feel that at my age, being single, and having experiance as an electrician, finding a job won't be as hard as it is or someone who wants to work at a mall or a home depot. But the things LA can offer like way more beaches, new atmosphere, new culture, newer oppertunites, more things to do then here in new England. I ran ride my motorcycle year round rather then pay 7 months for it to sit all winter. In the cold months I just sit there and rot till it gets so ewhat warmer. I've been south in the Florida area where my friend lives and it didn't do much for me. Inner country I couldn't do, but I will be making a trip to north Carolina next spring. That's another place in mind. I just wanted a feel for what LA has for jobs to see if it's possible for what I do for a job, and being in a safe area, not near the city too much, to be independent. Thanks everyone for you time.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:18 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,567 times
I would imagine go where there is still building going on. Try posting here on the Work and Employment threads for feedback in your field. Even moving to another part of N.E. may help as I hear CT and RI aren't doing well. Look at the Classified Section of the L.A. Times under Electricians and same for Craigslist. You are licensed, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles