U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:26 PM

6,935 posts, read 8,647,666 times

Advertisements

I recently formed a group too oversee dog owners, and find out who is breaking the law by allowing their dogs to run unleashed in the public arena.
We have discussed our program with animal services, and they back us 100%.
I asked if there were a way we could issue wanings or citations to these offenders, but was informed we would have to become peace officers to issue citations.
Passing out warnings is ok, because we are only giving these owners the facts, and letting them decide how they want to proceed, given the facts.
I have printed up a three page document explaining the dangers of allowing one's dog to run loose in a public place, and the penalties for doing so,as dictated by Los Angeles animal services, and the courts.
For the most part, the plan is working, still some owners are down right rude when it comes to being asked to leash their animal.
With those who are rude, I take a picture of them and their dogs running loose, as well as a picture of their vehicle, and license plate.
They will be handed over to animal services and contaced about their disregard of the leash laws.
In a discussion last week with an official of animal services, I was informed because of the group's dedication to this cause, they are going to step up patrols of targeted parks, and be issuing citation to offenders.
You may wonder how this group, and idea came about in the first place.
A couple of months ago, I was walking my dog in a public park, next too the Los Angeles river bed.
We were walking on a path high above the river bed.
Unexpectdely, a unleashed pitbull appeared 15 feet in front of us, and he had just come from the river bed.
He was very agressive, and luckily I was able to grab a near by piece of log, and wack him in the head.
He retreated to the river bed.
I saw no one that could possibly own this pitbull, until we were leaving the park.
I put my dog in my vehicle, walked over too them, and insisted they keep that vicous animal on a leash.
They used a few choice words to explain their discontent with me telling them to leash the animal.
There and then, I decided I was going to get involved in educating these dumb, irresponsible dog owners.
The number of owners breaking the law is astounding.
We see this in every section of the city.
I am always looking for people to join our group.
It is strickly on a volunteer basis, and we need dedicated people who share our views concerning the leash laws.
If you would like to get involved, please send me a private message, and I can tell you more about our agenda.
Thanks,
Bob.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 03:56 PM

448 posts, read 1,463,475 times
It's amazing how many people don't listen to the signs all over the parks that read "Dogs must be on leash." I used to live across the street from Valley Village park and that park is out of control. Dogs run wild over there and no one listens to the signs. I used to see on occasion a LA parks person tell a handful of owners to put their dogs on leashes and I'd see the owner leave immediately. Those "mini-citations" don't seem to be effective enough to impact the vast majority of offenders.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:15 PM

688 posts, read 2,378,216 times
I would welcome some leash law enforcement in Lower Arroyo Park in Pasadena. I run on the trails in this area frequently and there are a multitude of careless dog owners who do not properly control their pets. Yesterday morning I passed a gentleman with large german sheppard who was unleashed but the dog was well healed, obviously under voice control and not more than 1 foot from the owner. That type of owner and dog do not bother me. A little further up the trail I saw a large mix breed come bounding through the bushes 10 yards away from me with no owner in sight. The dog circled back to the trail and proceeded to follow me up the trail. I came upon the dogs owner a little later and told her she needs to control her dog. She gave the the usual vacant stare and expression that says "What, my cute little dog?" The most common response I get when I ask people to control their pets is "He's really friendly" and my usual response is "Well I'm not."

Old 10-25-2009, 06:06 PM

Both those posting above are exactly the kind of people we are interested in recruiting.
Even if for whatever reason, you can't be a part of our group, please send me a private message so I can email you the documents that we give out to these irresponsible pet owners.
After reading it, you might want to tell those you see with unleashed dogs, just what their actions could cost them.
Thanks,
Bob.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:13 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,564,560 times
Some owners seem to believe that their dog would be "happier" if allowed to "run free."

While that may be true in a fenced dog park, elsewhere it is insane.

Just from the standpoint of legal exposure alone, it's unbelievable that anyone would fail to use a leash.

Beyond that, the oft repeated "MY DOG is so well trained they would never run away / run out into the street / attack / bite / etc" is tired and worn. There is not a single dog anywhere that is 100% predictable, not a one.

My basic conclusion is, some people are just complete idiots - LOL!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:41 PM

I really need to vent here, so please bear with me.
As any of you know who have read this thread, I am heavily involved in educating dog owners about the law, and the dangers of letting their dogs run loose in the public arena.
Too date, it has had a definite impact in two area parks along the Arroyo Seco.
I can see a change, but there is still many out there who are just incompitent dog owners, and have no business owning a dog.
I have heard so many stupid excuses as to why someone is allowing their dog to run unleashed.
I ran into such a person this afternoon in one of the parks.
I asked him to leash his dog, and imediately he started an arguement.
"Iv'e been walking my dog off leash for years now, and never had a problem until you came along".
"It's youi dog that is the stupid one".
"My dog is small, and wouldn't hurt anyone".
Just because this jerk had been doing it for years does not make it legal.
When I could get a word in edgewise, I tried to explain to this fool that my dog is not the issue, he is always leashed when out in public.
His unleashed dog was the issue.
I told him that if his unleashed dog walked over to my dog, in an effort to be friendly, the chances are very real that his dog could be attacked for invading my dog's territory, and that if his dog were injured, it would be his problem, not mine.
Fortunately, the law backs me up on this one.
This fool would have none of it, and continued to rattle on , finally threatning me with "I only have to give one word to the right people, and I can have you and your dog killed".
At this point I explained that I not only took a digital picture of him, his loose dog, and his vehicle's license plate, but Animal services would be getting them tomorrow. (which they will)
Then I turned and left knowing that some fools wouldn't know the truth if it jumped up and bit them in the face.
I am certainly not going to let the ramblings of a complete idiot dictate what I do in regard too this campaign to educate fools like this.
No one said it was going to be easy.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Bob.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:48 PM

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention.
While we were engaged in the verbal altercation, he did leash his dog, and when I turned and walked away, he walked away with his dog still on the leash.
It is always so much easier when we all obey the laws, regardless of the law.
Bob.

Last edited by CALGUY; 11-08-2009 at 10:00 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 PM

7,932 posts, read 7,524,244 times
Unfortunately this type of behavior is not limited to breaking the leash law. Too many people have taken a "Me Society" attitude and could careless about anyonew else, even if their actions harm others. It is truly sad.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:58 PM

2,888 posts, read 5,848,781 times
We used to walk our dogs on the beach, on a leash.

Some guy has his dog running loose. It lunges at our dog - just playing. Our dog jerks hard on the leash. Hubby has a bad back with multiple back surgeries. So he let the leash go.

Our dog proceeded to play with the other dog. They played in the water. Our dog repeatedly kept holding the other dog under the water. The guy didn't say a word.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:01 PM

Agreed.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles