Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 02:29 AM

425 posts, read 1,954,772 times

Advertisements

I have never been called for jury duty. *knocks on wood* However, for about five years I was active duty military, so I would automatically be excused anyway. If it's any consolation, when I was in the military, I once got called for urinalysis once a month for about six months straight (not including company-wide ones). I think they were trying to bust someone who had a social security number similar to mine in some way, since they can't single a person out directly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
I've been called for later this month. I'd say it's been 2-years since I last had to report. Frankly, it sucks. There are two LA court houses within 4 miles of my home, yet they call me for downtown.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
There are two LA court houses within 4 miles of my home, yet they call me for downtown.
You can request to have your service moved to another court house.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:34 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You can request to have your service moved to another court house.
Yes, for hardship. I will request it, but I can't prove a hardship case.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:47 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
I have been summoned for jury duty many times over the years & never served once. I had legit excuses & a few times i just ignored the summons.

The state of ca only pays $15.00 each day you serve jury duty + milage one way. Thats pathetic & discusting.

New York state pays around $40.00 a day + milage + lunch.

If you get a jury duty summons & ignore it the county court house CANT prove you received it. Mail does get lost/stolen everyday & summons are not sent certified mail or signature required.

Last edited by steel7; 09-03-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Can they prove that you recieved the summons?

You can serve a maximum of once a year.

You can be called to serve on a Grand Jury and that is once a week for a year.

In Ventura County when you are called you don't go in. You are given a group number and you check in during the week by phone. If they call your number then you go to the courts to spend all day sitting in a waiting room. The Ventura Courts have added a hot spot so you can take your lap top and continue to visit City Data Forum.

If they pick you from the jury pool and bring you into a court you can still get out of it by asking the judge. Not that it always works. If you still want to get released you can wear select clothing to Jury duty. I like my NRA cap. Also if they ask about weapons let the Lawyer know that you are a collector and have many guns and knives. Let them know that you are a regular at a shooting range. Works great if it is a case involving guns or knifes. Another tact is to let the Lawyers think that you believe anyone entering a court house must be guilty of something so this must be the chance that the law has to actually work and put the scum bag away.

I am not advocating that you belive all that stuff, just that it seems to work at getting people off jury duty.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:38 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Can they prove that you recieved the summons?
How would they prove anybody received anything sent via first class mail? Or in other words, no, they can't prove it, not unless they start sending via registered mail. (This should be obvious. Maybe you meant that as a rhetorical question.)

Quote:
If they pick you from the jury pool and bring you into a court you can still get out of it by asking the judge. Not that it always works. If you still want to get released you can wear select clothing to Jury duty. I like my NRA cap. Also if they ask about weapons let the Lawyer know that ...
None of this crap should be necessary. The system does not benefit by having jurors who don't want to serve. A simple statement to the judge that you don't want to be there and won't be a good juror should be enough. It would be crazy to force the issue only to have the juror say in the end, "I don't know, I can't make up my mind." That would waste far more time for everybody concerned than simply picking some other potential juror.

I used to want to serve but I always got rejected by the lawyers during vor dire. I never once got to sit on a jury. Upon giving the matter thought I decided that the lawyers (both sides) rejected me because I'm an engineer. I think they didn't want me because they don't want people with scientific training or the ability to think things out logically, and would rather have people who can be swayed by emotion and who can be manipulated. Or maybe not, but I never came up with any other explanation why I was always rejected. So at some point I decided to quit playing their silly game and I've never served since. Might have something to do with my unreliable mail service.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
There should never be "professional jurors" - that is the whole point of the jury system. So that you dont get these "people" who only serve as a juror (bias, political beliefs, religious beliefs).

The point of a jury is that you get a cross section of the public. So you dont get a stacked jury selection that would weigh one way or another on an issue.

What happens if the "professional" jurors are all people who knew a woman who was raped and the upcoming case is about a rapist?

Anyway,

You can be called every year, or not at all.

What you fail to understand is with a professional juror, emotion would not fit into the equasion.
They do this for a living, and they have no bias one way or the other.
Their job as with the current system is to not be bias in any way, and to make a judgment call strickly on the evidence presented.
That unfortunately does not happen with the "public pool".
Jonn q. pulic rules with his emotions, and with a professional juror, it is his or her job to rule on evidence alone, not emotion.
The pre training cource would encompass this problem with ruling on emotion.
It is a system that would work in any state in the country, it is long overdue, and one day in the future, it will be professional jurors only.
Bob.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:38 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
How would they prove anybody received anything sent via first class mail? Or in other words, no, they can't prove it, not unless they start sending via registered mail. (This should be obvious. Maybe you meant that as a rhetorical question.)

None of this crap should be necessary. The system does not benefit by having jurors who don't want to serve. A simple statement to the judge that you don't want to be there and won't be a good juror should be enough. It would be crazy to force the issue only to have the juror say in the end, "I don't know, I can't make up my mind." That would waste far more time for everybody concerned than simply picking some other potential juror.

I used to want to serve but I always got rejected by the lawyers during vor dire. I never once got to sit on a jury. Upon giving the matter thought I decided that the lawyers (both sides) rejected me because I'm an engineer. I think they didn't want me because they don't want people with scientific training or the ability to think things out logically, and would rather have people who can be swayed by emotion and who can be manipulated. Or maybe not, but I never came up with any other explanation why I was always rejected. So at some point I decided to quit playing their silly game and I've never served since. Might have something to do with my unreliable mail service.
Wow, hard time recognizing humor? Sure it is obvious that they don't know if you got the notice. And just telling the judge that you don't want to be there may not be what is needed to get off the jury. Sometimes it is much easier to have one of the counselors toss you off the jury. Still you have to admit it sounded funny what I said. You know what would be funnier? Having a 70 year old woman say it. LOL

Old 09-03-2010, 05:23 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
And just telling the judge that you don't want to be there may not be what is needed to get off the jury.
I don't see why not. Judges are not elected and/or appointed because they are idiots. I'm sure every judge has seen a reluctant juror. What could make less sense than forcing that person to serve on a jury? Particularly when that reluctant juror decides to even the score.

I think the only thing required is for a person to stand up in court and say, "Your honor, I really don't want to be here and if you force me to be here I will mess up your trial." What kind of idiot judge would want that? (It would take a lot of 'balls' to say that in open court.)

Let's face it. Some people are not suited to be jurors, and some of them even know that.

Quote:
Still you have to admit it sounded funny what I said.
It didn't sound funny at all to me. I don't even understand why you think what you said is funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles