Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:18 PM

57 posts, read 179,462 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I am moving to LA shortly. I am working downtown long beach. I am looking for a townhome but will take a condo 2-3 bedrooms in a very nice area newer modern townhome. I will drive at least 20-30 min to get to work. I am looking for a excellent school, shopping, walmarts, targets, grocery stores. I am not a beach person so it doesn't matter if it's on the water or by the water.please help!!!!!. I have looked around and I have no idea what areas to look at or places. I am willing to pay no more than 2500 rent.

Thanks guys for your help!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 03:45 PM

355 posts, read 1,478,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaGirl1 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am moving to LA shortly. I am working downtown long beach. I am looking for a townhome but will take a condo 2-3 bedrooms in a very nice area newer modern townhome. I will drive at least 20-30 min to get to work. I am looking for a excellent school, shopping, walmarts, targets, grocery stores. I am not a beach person so it doesn't matter if it's on the water or by the water.please help!!!!!. I have looked around and I have no idea what areas to look at or places. I am willing to pay no more than 2500 rent.

Well, the $2500 a month should get you a decent spot in a decent area.

Walmart? LOL, you will not find anywhere near any remotely decent area in LA. LA City and the smaller cities are fiercely anti-Walmart. There are only 3 remotely close to west LA (MLK Crenshaw plaza aka DA GHETTO, one or two in the extra bad parts of the Valley, and 1 way east along the 60 freeway), which is the area you want to focus your search around.

Okay, just checked the Walmart store locator. There is apparently one in Torrance I didn't know about, but for the most part they are in the ghettos along the borders between LA and Orange counties, and the fringes.

Costcos we have, Targets we have plenty of, as well as shopping and grocery stores. You will find plenty of all of that.

Now, an excellent school? Public - virtually nonexistent outside of areas WAY outside of the LA area such as south Orange County and Simi Valley/Santa Clarita and Ventura County/Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village. You will have a VERY few good public schools in LA county, scattered in the affluent, predominantly white and Asian communities.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:49 PM

916 posts, read 3,698,619 times
Quote:
Hi Guys,

There are great neighborhoods with great schools in Long Beach (Naples, Belmont Shore/Park, Park Estates, El Dorado Park, etc come to mind) but they are not new. If you must have something new take a look at the condos and townhomes around the Bixby Village golf course. They are relatively new and are within walking distance to Ralphs, CVS, etc. If it doesn't have to be new and can just be nice than I would say Belmont Park would be great. Walk to shops, etc., very good schools, and within 15 minutes of downtown LB for your commute to work.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:09 PM

oooh my god guys thank you!!!! thank you!!!!!! Yeah Walmart my favorite..but the schools are more important..well actually I like Target better.. but I can deal with Costco!!!! lol..lol But I can do without if it's a very nice area!!!!! NO GHEOTTO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:03 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,165 times
Thats not correct about Walmart. There is one in Porter Ranch and one in Woodland Hills. The only other SF Valley Walmart is in Panorama City which is not exactly super dangerous.

There is also a Walmart in downtown Long Beach and another off the 605 near Long Beach/Lakewood.

And as stated, there are Target's everywhere.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:16 AM

313 posts, read 1,148,379 times
Stay In Virginia...do not move...you will not like it here. I live in a fairly decent "safe burb" out west the 101. My husband works downtown, his boss is a native and grew up in downtown LA....Long beach is dangerous in certain areas...there have been murders there. Please check that out before you commit to a lease. Is your stint here just temporary, and then you will go back home....then I say okay. If you are talking about a permenant move....do not come here.

I am a GA native and have moved a bit, been here for 4 yrs and I have school aged kids....the culture is apathetic, very superficial and self absorbed...no one seems to care about having trusting relationships as in making good friends. There ARE nice people in CA....but they are dang hard to find. It is overpriced, and I will not sell my soul for the "perfect weather". And it might be alittle tolerable if maybe I could find someplace around here that reminded me of home....but there is nothing remotely close to our culture out here. We ended up going to church to find normal, geniune people, and that has been our saving grace in doing our time out here. And when I first came here...I was excited about experiencing CA and after about 6 mos....the novelty wore off and reality kicked in. I would go back east in a heartbeat....

Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 AM

runnergrl I would if I could but my job is taking me there. I lived in San Diego for three years so I know about the weather. LA scares me!!! I have looked up and down and around and haven't found any decent place I would stay.I'm with you on friendship and real people. I only in LA for three years then on to the next Thank God!!!!!! I was excited to go back West but thought about why I was so happy to live San Diego and memories came back..I honestly didn't like the place. The weather was good but the cost of living is crazy just to stay by the ocean!!!! Thanks for everyone help!!!! hopefully I can find somewhere nice..

Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 AM

Hey Do anyone have a good website to go to for newer Townhomes in Long beach if not I am willing to travel 20-30 min away just to get a nice place.. Our take a Condo too.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:03 AM

916 posts, read 3,698,619 times
Quote:
Hey Do anyone have a good website to go to for newer Townhomes in Long beach if not I am willing to travel 20-30 min away just to get a nice place.. Our take a Condo too.
I'm not a realtor. But I know a good one in the area. Keith Muirhead. google his name and call him. He could help you.

by the way, don't be afraid of long beach. it's a big city and parts are not great but there are many very safe, family friendly, fun areas to live in Long Beach. it's much more welcoming than many other parts of socal in my opinion too.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM

thanks sooo much I will look him up!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles