Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,149 times

Advertisements

So, as the title would suggest, Im really close to signing a lease on an apt, between Western and Harvard, just south of Franklin. Ive read through a few older threads about "safety" of the area. Ive lived in a "big city" environments before so Im not entirely concerned with that aspect. Im moving down from Sacramento and I was just wondering what you guys thought of this area specifically?(meaning within a few blocks) I would love to live more East of Western but I cant really afford it. Any input would be welcomed: food, bars, neighbors, noise etc. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,679,352 times
I haven't lived in that area, but have spent a lot of time visiting that general area. I think it's fine; while I haven't walked around late at night, I've never had any problems during my walks during the day and early evening. There's convenient stores within very close distance (including Ralphs) and you'll be within walking distance to tons of excellent restaurants. It's great if you take public transportation, as buses run up and down Hollywood all the time, and of course there's also the Red Line station. You'll also be close to the Fern Dell part of Griffith Park, which is a real bonus. Again, haven't lived in that specific area myself, but based on my experiences visiting I wouldn't hesitate to live in that location, assuming, of course, that the building itself is nice and the immediate neighbors seem decent.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:27 PM

52 posts, read 196,242 times
I lived around there for a while. Its fine. Since its East Hollywood it can get crazy at night, but nothing like the main part of the strip. Lots of cool places you can walk to.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:46 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,602,053 times
That area's fine. I go there quite a lot for Thai food and there's always a good number of people walking about on Hollywood Blvd. My biggest concern about the neighborhood would be parking, if you'll have a car and don't have an off-street space. Parking is extremely tight there, probably some of the tightest in the city.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:53 PM

Thanks guys! Yea the apt has a parking space, which was huge for me cause I heard the parking is god awful. I do have a bike and will be doing the majority of my business in more central Hollywood, do you think its possible and/or practical to bike there? (think Sunset and Vine area)

Old 11-02-2009, 09:55 PM

52 posts, read 196,242 times
Ditto that. Street parking around there sucks. Probably not as bad as West Hollywood near Sunset, but pretty close. If you get home from work like 6-6:30, e.g., you might drive around 5-10 mins looking for parking then have to walk a few blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
That area's fine. I go there quite a lot for Thai food and there's always a good number of people walking about on Hollywood Blvd. My biggest concern about the neighborhood would be parking, if you'll have a car and don't have an off-street space. Parking is extremely tight there, probably some of the tightest in the city.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,602,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMESAKE View Post
do you think its possible and/or practical to bike there? (think Sunset and Vine area)
I personally don't bike, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I would think that would be practical, depending on how comfortable you are biking in heavy traffic. Also keep in mind that Sunset/Vine would only be one subway stop away from your apartment (just take Hollywood/Western to Hollywood/Vine and then walk a few blocks south to Sunset).

Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,679,352 times
Besides the subway (or bike) there are also buses that will get you to central Hollywood in no time. There are multiple lines that run up and down Hollywood Blvd (including a Rapid bus that stops at Western, then next stop Vine), and given the parking situation that's probably going to be easier than driving. I used to stop off at Ralphs on the way home from work, then hop back on the 180 or 181 to give me near door-to-door service.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:26 AM

687 posts, read 1,115,512 times
Not sure how close you will be to Los Feliz Blvd. and Highland Ave. but this is a pretty yuppy area with non- chain restaurants and shops with a market nearby. I lived off Los Feliz Blvd. near the big fountain when I was younger and my brother lived there for close to fifteen years near Aberdeen and also near Marshall High. Great area closer to the hills you can get. I have seen things done to people waiting for the bus on L.F. B and not sure if Fern Dale Park is still a favorite of the gay population as it was in the 80's.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Thanks alot guys! I owe you all drinks when I move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles