Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:39 PM

6 posts, read 13,934 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I would say OC is where it's at...although I like LA as well...and SF for that matter...hehe...

I would recommend Brea...a smaller town with friendly people....and pretty much every store you might possibly need within a 5 minute distance....not to include the Brea Mall....I grew up there....I think it is like a hidden gem that not many people know about....the city struck oil and is very small yet rich.....they maintain a heavy police presence....not at all because it's a bad neighborhood....but it just makes it extra safe.....I don't know if there's a bike trail but ...it's more affordable than some of the other cities....Irvine (safest city in the US?) and the other "coastal" cities are awesome but very expensive...

The only disadvantage to Brea is that you need take the 57 freeway to hit the 60 freeway and kind of go around if you want to want to head towards LA....but it is a self-contained city with its own little downtown promenade....and lots of movie theaters....

Maybe you should rent a place for about 6 months...to get a general feel of the surrounding area....maybe you'll even like the Valley....

but like someone else mentioned, it's important to be close to your workplace because the traffic is horrendous...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 05:43 AM

2 posts, read 24,270 times
Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey and El Segundo would be good for you.

There are a ton of Engineering firms in El Segundo.

In Orange County, look at Seal Beach, it is close to the Engineering Firms in Long Beach and in Huntington Beach.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:29 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,991 times
Thanks for the recent posts Very timely too since hubby and I just returned from a 10 day long trip to Southern California.

We stayed in Laguna Beach (I've been there before and like falling asleep to the sounds of the Pacific) and drove up to some of the touristy attractions near Los Angeles area (Hollywood, Universal CityWalk, Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu, Topanga, California Science Center, USC, and Hermosa Beach). In Orange County, went to Dana Point to do the dolphin trip, San Juan Capistrano, etc. besides Laguna Beach

So, we got to really get an idea of traffic in Los Angeles. Don't really like Los Angeles area's energy if you will 'cause it feels like Detroit But, a much cooler Detroit.

I'm more of an Orange County fan But, I could live in Playa del Rey or Marina del Rey...It's the 'pretty' part of L.A.--No offense to anyone LOL.

Yep, we're going to cash out of here really soon

BTW, I probably won't be posting here much more 'cause I'm tired of all of the comments about it being so much money, etc. I wouldn't 'go shopping' unless I knew what I was getting into or had the money...duh! LOL

But, many thanks to the many nice, kind folks that I've met here and have been helpful and positive and supportive...I appreciate your help and kindness!

Old 12-28-2006, 11:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,245 times
Cool Biased exiled Angelina

I'm probably not the best one to answer you, since I'm somewhat biased. I was born and raised in Venice but have been exiled in rainy northwestern Oregon since 1960. I've missed Southern California every day since, but one thing after another kept us here. Our daughter moved to Long Beach six years ago and has been wooing us southward ever since. We finally found a place we could afford (Leisure World,) and as we prepare our house for sale, I feel like a kid on a snow day.

The positive points of living in Los Angeles: The great mix of marine air and desert air; the sunshine; the palm trees; the Pacific Ocean; the wonderful, loud colors on buildings (I love the Hotel in Long Beach painted a different color on every side); the sunshine; the tiled underpasses; the public places named after movie stars; the sunshine; the Spanish place names; the sunshine. (It's freezing up here (literally) and, since we live by the Columbia Gorge, the wind is blowing about 40 miles an hour. The ground has been saturated for weeks, so any minute one of our Douglas Firs is likely to fall right on top of m.......

Old 12-29-2006, 12:30 AM

74 posts, read 195,730 times
OC is for Roadies.

LA is for Hybrids and Beachcruisers.

The roads are older and rougher, and distances shorter.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:33 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,035 times
OC is for families.
LA is for gangsters.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:39 AM

625 posts, read 2,435,895 times
There are a lot of good aspects of SoCal, but perhaps the mobility has created as many problems as it has solved. It's virtually impossible to differentiate between LA/OC/Riverside/SD/SB/Ventura counties anymore cause they've all melted together. Even going out towards Temecula houses are springing up faster than you can blink, and people are buying them cause they can't afford anything in LA/OC.

At one time it may have been possible to do the mountains in the morning and beach in the afternoon, but not anymore. It's nice that they're in close proximity to each other so everyone is happy, but when even Big Bear is bumper to bumper coming down the mountain (it took me SEVEN HOURS to get home one weekend) it's getting a bit much. Your entire leisure time is planned around rush hour. Then again, Saturdays on the 405 can get as bad as any weekday rush hour.

What's the leisure in THAT?

Old 12-29-2006, 09:54 AM

45 posts, read 133,922 times
I love being within close proximity to so many great restaurants! All of us gangbangers here in L.A. gotta eat you know, she said sarcastically

Old 12-29-2006, 11:50 AM

355 posts, read 842,534 times
I think the biggest selling point about Southern California is that there are so many diverse attractions and things to do. The fact that the beach and snow-covered mountains are within a half day's reach is much more than other desirable metro areas can claim.

And, yeah, traffic can get pretty unbearable. But I think it's no different than limiting weather conditions in the Northeast... you just deal with it and learn to be more efficient about your daily habits/needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles