Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 08:06 AM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I came here to find out more about what it's like to live in metropolitan L.A. (well, and Orange County--I know, I know, not really 'L.A.'). I'm not really interested in living in L.A. proper, etc.

I've read lots of the threads here gleaning them for the positive points of living in this area. Would just like to hear more of the positive points, please I know all about the crime, traffic, high cost of living, high housing costs, gangs, illegals, natural disasters, etc. LOL--at least no one here talks about how California will fall into the ocean (my personal favorite reason not to live there, even though it's geologically impossible LOL).

Can you help me, please?

I visited West L.A. and every coastal town all the way to Laguna Beach last fall. I've never been to North Cal, but returning to the same area of Southern Cal. again this fall to vacation and maybe even prospect for areas that would be good to live...

My hubby is an engineer, so I know he could easily find a job, etc. We have no kids (don't plan on it) and really want to live within a half hour to one hour drive of the ocean, if possible. We both race our bicycles (road) so that is a factor in deciding where to live and ride. Really interested in the recreational opportunities out your way Also, not really interested in a big 'ol house, but want to live someplace 'safe'--whatever that means. I'd be happy with a 2 bedroom condo or townhouse around 1000-1200 sq. feet

Sooo...anyone? What are the positive aspects of living in your area?

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2006, 08:19 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
You probably want to investigate condo living in El Segundo or Marina Del Rey. There is a fine bike path along the beach between El Segundo and Santa Monica, quite a long span. A one or 2 bedroom condo in these areas will start at $600,000.00. If you don't work near these areas, you will have a debilitating commute, as the west side is socked in with traffic to begin with, and on has to traverse that to get out to anywhere else.

Please realize that, unless one is incredibly blessed with the ultimate that life has to offer in the way of riches or luck, one's location is like a job: there are always good and bad aspects. The idea is not be so unrealistic about the good that the bad ends up overwhelming you. Los Angeles uniquely seems to inspire in non-natives an image of sunshiney optimism that borders on delusional. I don't blame the non-natives at all: most tv production is still done here, and the image is a powerful one. But it's an illusion, like all of movie-making.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,742,958 times
Angel Bear,

Orange County is where you want to go. Forget about LA. You can be anywhere in LA in about an hour or so, if that’s where you want to visit.

Your husband should be able to find a job in Orange County without a problem. There are bike lanes all over the place, and there is a bike only lane on the Santa Ana river trail that goes from the beach to past Yorba Linda over 30 miles.

What is your price range for housing?

Old 07-21-2006, 03:33 PM

Fastfilm,
Thanks so much for the ideas My gal pal lives in Playa del Rey, so I was able to see those areas you mentioned...They weren't too shabby--very beautiful I thought. I hear ya regarding the 'sunshiney optimism' bit. I think we are looking for a change of pace after living in Metro Detroit all of our lives. Southern California is a perfect match for our interests right now.

RedNC,
I'm leanding more towards Orange County to live and work. Wow, a bike only lane! What a concept Not sure as of yet regarding our housing price range...It kinda depends on what we could get approved for mortgage-wise, which depends on what type of job/salary hubby would be offered. I'm sure hubby would be paid more as an engineer in Orange County than in Metro Detroit, but it really depends on which industry I suppose. Right now, he's at the higher end of the pay scale out here with 10+ years experience in the automotive industry (his degree is in aerospace engineering though). I'm thinking our first housing will be a little condo or townhouse 2 bedroom, 1 bath, 1000 sq. feet...So, it'll probably be $400-800K, eh? Heck, the 'manufactured' homes don't look that bad really that I've seen offered in Orange County, but I could be wrong LOL.

Thanks and hugs for the help! I appreciate the feedback and any words of wisdom

Old 07-24-2006, 02:37 PM

473 posts, read 2,754,115 times
California (i'm staying away from describing Los Angeles specifically because most already know my stance on this place) has a lot of awesome hidden gems, to just get away in. Big bear Lake, Castaic Lake, Lake Piru, Casitas, Arrowhead, Yosemite...all beautiful places that make you forget about the concrete jungle. wonderful places to kayak, boat, swim, fish, camp...awesome way to center and ground yourself again.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:45 PM

61 posts, read 579,258 times
I strongly, strongly recommend moving to Mission/Aliso Viejo or Rancho Santa Margarita. Even Irvine. The people there are extremely nice and the areas are beautiful. And crime in those areas is non-existant. There's only one bad thing, and that is it can get rather hot in the summer. But I think all the good points more then make up for it. If you ever decide to have children for whatever reason, the environment there is great for kids too. The schools are excellent. If climate is of great importance, remember that the further west you go, the nicer the weather is.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:32 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Nothing! lol j/k In-n-Out and Trader Joes.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:25 AM

186 posts, read 835,228 times
the parts of LA metro that I think have interesting things to do are Hollywood, beverly hills area, century city area, west LA area (huge area), larchmont, los feliz, silver lake, palms, the nice side of culver, santa monica, mar vista, marina del rey, playa del rey, el segundo, redondo, hermosa, manhattan beach, pasadena. In most cases, you want to live somewhat close to work.

Some areas offer beaches, some cool downtown areas, and some have more parks. In general all have good shopping, active night life, and plenty of things to do and see. There is 70 miles of usable coast line, 4 major marinas in the LA county/orange county area with tons of water activities, but beware, the water is pretty cold excecpt July/August.

As for recreational activities, they are very many. Great mountain biking trails, beach biking trails, hiking trails, places to rent boats, surf boards, wet suits and scuba gear, kayaks, jet ski's, etc. There is rock climbing, paint balling, mountain state parks, beach state parks, whatever. Best of all, you can literally do many of the activites year round, altough I suggest renting a wet suit for water sports in the fall and spring.

If you want to find out lots about LA, just look online. www.laweekly.com, www.la.com, losangeles.citysearh.com, la magazine online, experience la .com, www.experiencela.com, www.calendarlive.com, www.10best.com, www.ornagecounty.net (broken link), and on and on and on and on. If you try hard enough you can do your own research about LA and find out what it has to offer. You can visit here and really see for yourself what some of those places are like.

The nice areas of SoCal come at a very high price. If you want to live in a real quiet place then buy a nice 2 bedroom condo in torrance for 500K. It is a quiet community with great schools and nice parks and close to the beach cities and long beach. If you want a more fun area, try palms or mar vista. There you can buy a condo for a similar price. www.move.com has a good lisitng of housing prices in the area.

I am surpised. You went to every coastal town and west LA and you need to ask what the benefits are? Did you not see anything positive about those areas?

If you have an open mind and are realistic with yourself about the possible negatives of the area, I think you will like the area very much.

Last edited by jlrobe; 07-25-2006 at 12:34 AM..

Old 07-25-2006, 07:47 AM

Thanks so much for the replies

Quote:
I am surpised. You went to every coastal town and west LA and you need to ask what the benefits are? Did you not see anything positive about those areas?
I sure did! I think I mainly started this thread because I kept reading so many negatives in these forums about living in these areas. I think I was looking for confirmation of what I already knew, but also, working on compiling data to help us make our relocation decision

CBaillo--I'd love to visit those areas I am happy someone else knows about centering and grounding Hee hee! Words you never hear around where I live LOL now

smu7070--Thanks for the heads up on those areas. I don't mind hot weather (I'll take it any day more than freezing rain, ice, and snow and slush LOL). Thanks

Sonrise--Hee hee! We have 3 Trader Joe's where I live...Lots of Whole Foods' Markets. But, still no real focus on health up here

jlrobe--Thanks so much for the many resources and options. That helps a lot Yay!

Hugs to everyone!,
Lisa

Old 07-25-2006, 12:25 PM

473 posts, read 2,754,115 times
I practice Chen Tai Chi, and other chinese martial arts, and there is nothing like doing forms in forests @ dawn or dusk. I never feel more connected to the big picture than at those moments...so point being thats why i know about 'centering' and 'grounding' LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles