Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 09:52 AM

5 posts, read 10,669 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have done some searching and haven't found something that answers what I am wondering (and I apologize if there is somewhere that does address it that I missed it):
I will be coming to CA from the east coast for the spring semester at Chapman Law School in Orange. I will also have an internship at the DA's office in Downtown LA. I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of some areas (I really like Huntington Beach but am not sure if the commute would be too ridiculous- as an idea of the areas I've looked at and what I am looking for) that are reasonably priced on a law student budget (around 1200/mo for a 1 br/ba) that is like a middle classish area (it doesn't have to be pristine, just looking to avoid gang/high crime areas). I have heard horror stories about the commutes in this area so I am hoping to find somewhere betweenish these two places.
Any help would be great!! Thanks (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:15 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxfifi8 View Post
Hi,
I have done some searching and haven't found something that answers what I am wondering (and I apologize if there is somewhere that does address it that I missed it):
I will be coming to CA from the east coast for the spring semester at Chapman Law School in Orange. I will also have an internship at the DA's office in Downtown LA. I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of some areas (I really like Huntington Beach but am not sure if the commute would be too ridiculous- as an idea of the areas I've looked at and what I am looking for) that are reasonably priced on a law student budget (around 1200/mo for a 1 br/ba) that is like a middle classish area (it doesn't have to be pristine, just looking to avoid gang/high crime areas). I have heard horror stories about the commutes in this area so I am hoping to find somewhere betweenish these two places.
Any help would be great!! Thanks (:
Yes, you are correct in thinking that HB to LA would be a ridiculous commute. The nicest neighborhoods in HB are not that close to freeways one would take to LA. The 405, which is the only true freeway to pass through HB (at its edge), does not take one to downtown but gives it a wide berth as it makes its way to the airport. You would be taking the 110 in or the 710 to the 5 if the 110 has an accident.

If you must live in a beach area you will not have smooth sailing for a commute, no matter what. Santa Monica and Marina del Rey come to mind, though the latter may be a bit expensive for what you seek.

If you don't need to live in a beach area, try to look north or west of downtown (such as some parts of Silverlake or Los Feliz), or even different cities such as Pasadena or Glendale. You'll still have traffic, but less distance to go.

If, again, you MUST have access to HB, then, as a "betweenish place", I would look into coastal or eastern Long Beach (east is probably less expensive than coastal), Lakewood or Cerritos, as these are more of bedroom communities and you would more than likely find good deals on places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles