U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:29 PM

890 posts, read 2,616,131 times

Advertisements

with a car? hard to get around without a car here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 02:40 PM

10,629 posts, read 24,661,923 times
It's not necessarily hard to get around without a car in LA, depending on your job and where you choose to live. Public transportation is getting better all the time. Still, if I were going to be homeless I'd rather be homeless with a car. But that gets back to the point made by someone else: why would you want to move to LA just to risk being homeless? Or even living in a dumpy apartment in a terrible neighborhood? I'm assuming you have some certain vision of what you want life in LA to be like, and you could easily end up being completely miserable, especially if there's a chance that you're going to end up comparing (intentionally or not) your budget adult life with that of growing up by the beach.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:06 PM

77,810 posts, read 92,479,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch323 View Post
I'm moving to LA even if I have to be homeless for awhile. I currently work at a large retail chain that has locations in the Hills and Wilshire area so I could transfer to one of those if needed but they only pay $10 bucks an hour. What are some of the areas in LA to look for to find a place to live? Thanks.
I doubt you could even transfer; forget it, living homeless means depending on food kitchens etc. You are cheating yourself and others moving, knowing this is your future. There is noplace in L.A. you can find a place to live; what do you not understand about that. $2500 wouldn't even cover your deposits.

Nita

Old 11-24-2009, 07:13 PM

8,121 posts, read 7,643,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch323 View Post
I'm moving to LA even if I have to be homeless for awhile. I currently work at a large retail chain that has locations in the Hills and Wilshire area so I could transfer to one of those if needed but they only pay $10 bucks an hour. What are some of the areas in LA to look for to find a place to live? Thanks.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,039,962 times
Let me state the obvious here, but how many homeless people have you guys hired as employees?

Once you go that route, its only downhill. Unless you are doing it for fun and can run back home when you get bored with it

Old 11-24-2009, 07:43 PM

20,468 posts, read 24,202,040 times
You could luck out, renting a room in a house somewhere. Perhaps with someone elderly, or just plain lonely for company. Someone that needs a semi-caregiver, someone to do work around the house.

I've rented a room in my house dirt-cheap to the same person for 10 years now. He's no longer a roomer, he's become a "family member". But I lucked out as well, he's a handyman. But not only that, being single, it's welcomed companionship around the house and I never feel safe living alone. Added security as well.

If he ever gets down on his luck, can't pay the rent for a few months, I'd be crazy to throw him out. And help yourself to the refrigerator!

It's very easy for a someone renting a room out in one's house to develop a bond with a particular roomer.

One of my co-workers has been renting a room for 5 years now and he's become a "family member". I said to him recently: Gee, aren't you glad you aren't renting an apartment during this recession? Lose your job, out the door you go. With his situation, those fears are greatly diminished.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:57 PM

6,664 posts, read 28,202,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
with a car? hard to get around without a car here.
Get a van, you can sleep in it easier!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:49 PM

6,566 posts, read 16,310,900 times
To the OP, the unemployment rate in L.A. County is currently 12.7%. Please rethink this idea; you'll be much happier with a roof over your head than not! You think you're going to wait tables here; have you heard that the restaurant industry is suffering during this recession, too? People aren't going out to eat as often, and many companies are cutting back on their holiday party budgets.

My 24-year-old daughter graduated from U.C. Berkeley almost a year ago with a Bachelors in Psychology. She's now working retail for $13/hour, and can't afford to move out.

My 21-year-old son is working at a local market making a whopping $8.50/hour, and he obviously can't afford to move out, either.

My kids grew up here, and they can't afford to live on their own, even with roommates. What makes you think that you can do this? $2,500 is nothing; you'll blow through that money in no time with no hope of ever saving enough money to return to Chicago.

However, if you choose to ignore our advice and do this anyway, at least you can't say we didn't tell you what your life would be like here.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 PM

20,468 posts, read 24,202,040 times
On the other hand, if he has a parental cushion back home or somwhere, this could be a growing, educational experience for him. And all education can be expensive.

During the early 70's recession, at age 20, I hitchhiked to California from Minnesota. The employment situation was so dire, that I even went to a job agency, to pay someone to find me a job, believe it or not, as a dishwasher.
No such luck!

I gave up after 2 months, called home, crying and begging, to send me money for a 1-way flight back.

But it was a valuable experience, none the less.

And one never knows. Some people are blessed with luck.

Last edited by tijlover; 11-24-2009 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-25-2009, 04:46 AM

16,276 posts, read 29,073,600 times
Wow. Another person searching for the dream fullfillment center called the Southland. Yes, you can make it big here in LA. Happens all the time. Kind of like winning the lottery, which also happens all the time. One person wins and millions of others just end up losing a dollar here or there. In your case, $2,500 dollars. It is a good learning experience and maybe you will be the one in a million or 2 that will pull it off. Life is a gamble as well, so go for it, roll the dice and see what happens. You in?

Forbes just listed the top 100 metros and where they fall inline to recover from the recession. LA is not at the top of the list. If you see the list head down to the bottom section to find LA. In my community we are #95 out of 100. LA isn't that bad but still on the lower half of the list. What I would do is stay home for the next 2 to 3 years and let things improve here. Chances are by 2013 the economy should be back on track and the area will offer plenty of jobs for those that need a plan B. Just incase your dreams don't come true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles