Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:22 PM

49 posts, read 116,891 times

Advertisements

I used to be proud to say I live in Los Angeles. Now, I find myself apologizing, to people, outside of LA. I gest, " I live in LA, but don't hold it against me." Hence, its no secret, to anyone, that there is a caste system in LA. Finally, in response to your comment;who hasn't had bad experiences in Los Angeles--its unavoidable!

quote=osuzana;11781588]Nope, not a native. Just don't believe in generalizations when it comes to people and where they live. If you think ALL Northern Californians are intelligent, compassionate and intelligent, then I am afraid we will probably be hearing from you again in a few years after living there. No place is perfect nor are people. You obviously had some bad experiences here so I guess moving will solve that. FYI..I have lived in several different states in my life but most of the time was in Ca. and I was a teenager in the 70's living in the Valley. You do know that nothing stays the same?
I love Northern Ca. and the only reason I would move there is for the beauty and architecture. Never would I assume that everyone living in N. CA. would be sooo different than here except that many also despise SoCal like you do.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 08:30 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy2 View Post
I used to be proud to say I live in Los Angeles. Now, I find myself apologizing, to people, outside of LA. I gest, " I live in LA, but don't hold it against me." Hence, its no secret, to anyone, that there is a caste system in LA. Finally, in response to your comment;who hasn't had bad experiences in Los Angeles--its unavoidable!

quote=osuzana;11781588]Nope, not a native. Just don't believe in generalizations when it comes to people and where they live. If you think ALL Northern Californians are intelligent, compassionate and intelligent, then I am afraid we will probably be hearing from you again in a few years after living there. No place is perfect nor are people. You obviously had some bad experiences here so I guess moving will solve that. FYI..I have lived in several different states in my life but most of the time was in Ca. and I was a teenager in the 70's living in the Valley. You do know that nothing stays the same?
I love Northern Ca. and the only reason I would move there is for the beauty and architecture. Never would I assume that everyone living in N. CA. would be sooo different than here except that many also despise SoCal like you do.
[/quote]
Honey, bad experiences are unavoidable everywhere! Good luck and hope you find your paradise.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:47 AM

213 posts, read 823,203 times
I'd probably be bitter and angry too, especially if my name was Cassidy.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Hutch hasn't come back, maybe he was just having a bad day with his family or something and wanted someone to give him a little attention.

Nita

Old 11-26-2009, 05:34 PM

11 posts, read 33,699 times
$2,500 isn't good enough...I'm going down with about ten times that much and i'm scared...plus I have a degree.
I would make there is a guaranteed job, and a guaranteed place to stay, or you're going to be homeless and miserable extremely quick.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:41 PM

768 posts, read 942,631 times
I disagree with basically everyone who has posted so far. Lining up a job first, as a 19 year old kid, would be a terrible idea, as it would require an expensive trip pre-move just to fart around for a week landing McInterviews. You're going to have to risk it.

2500 is plenty if you're resourceful. It's suboptimal, but you'll be fine with street smarts. First, get a roommate off craigslist. Meet a few for coffee and pick one. Utilize hotwire to bid on cheap hotels for a day or two while you do this, then move in. Next, go business to business asking for a job. Any job, and go ahead and forgo your ego; look desperate. Beg. Tell them you'll work your ass off. You'll land something.

It'll be fine if you really want it.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I don't thinkmost people are suggesting that he fly out to interview; the advice is more along the lines of "don't come." He says that the job (the one he could potentially transfer to, which he should/could line up in advance without an interview) that pays $10 isn't good engou; what are the odds he's going to quickly land something better than that? He also says he's willing to be homeless for awhile, but then doesn't want the $10/hr job. That sends off mixed messages, and to me suggests that his expectations aren't going to match up with the reality of the current economy.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:56 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Brentwood happens to be a very,upscale, respectable community. I wouldn't live in the valley if you paid me. Most expecially, dreary, is the energy in North Hollywood. Unless, of course your disabled or a drug addict, then its a match made in heaven.

Well, when I said "the area between I-10 and the Hollywood Fwy", I did include Brentwood. It's in that area

Yeah, I agree. Some people on here aren't very supportive. Personally, I do not regret it at all, just like I said. It was a great experience I wouldn't want to miss.

You said you were gonna wait tables? That's actually a great idea. Especially in the area I described. If you break it down, I made like at least 17 bucks an hour. I knew people who made more than that. Yes, gotta find a job first, but you got experience.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:05 AM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
Yeah, as a matter of fact, I am in a bad mood because of LA. LA has a toxic vibe and I cannot wait to relocate. I've lived here since I was a teenager, in the seventies, and it is a different place today. Northern California people are intelligent, compassionate and wholesome. Note, why do you think so many people are moving to Seattle and Oregon? Let me guess? Your a native.
Are the criminals more intelligent, compassionate and wholesome too? Since it seems there are many more up North.

Crime Index 2007
Sacramento----------608
Fresno---------------421
Modesto-------------494
San Fransisco--------501
Oakland--------------945

Los Angeles----------356
San Diego------------339

Old 11-28-2009, 04:34 PM

436 posts, read 908,157 times
You would be far better off putting up with you're parents. Being unemployed and homeless in LA is a honorable life, and once you are down, good luck getting back up. LA is not a nice place to be homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles