U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:22 PM

49 posts, read 103,299 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why the previous posts are making things sound so dire.Yes, LA is overwhelming and can get crazy at times; however, if you don't party and stay grounded, you should be fine. Next, I realize that your comment about being homeless was, just, to emphasize how passionate you are about the plan. Next, I am going out on a limb here but here goes:

The way you look and present yourself, in Los Angeles, is monumental.
Therefore, I highly recommend you start an LA. grooming and work out, ritual, prior to your move. Meaning, workout, get in shape, juice, ect. Get the edge you need to make it in a highly competitive city. Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch323 View Post
Thanks Robinson. All the places that I have looked into all say utilities included. Most also offer a bed or sofa to sleep on and I have money for airfare that is separate than my $2500.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 02:30 PM

77,813 posts, read 91,656,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy2 View Post
I don't understand why the previous posts are making things sound so dire.Yes, LA is overwhelming and can get crazy at times; however, if you don't party and stay grounded, you should be fine. Next, I realize that your comment about being homeless was, just, to emphasize how passionate you are about the plan. Next, I am going out on a limb here but here goes:

Therefore, I highly recommend you start an LA. grooming and work out, ritual, prior to your move. Meaning, workout, get in shape, juice, ect. Get the edge you need to make it in a highly competitive city. Best of luck.
and I am sure he has the money to go to a gym, even if he does now, he won't when he gets to L.A.

You don't see why most of us are advising him to forget it for now and I, for one can't understand how you can encourage him. He works for an upscale retail company with maybe a possibility of a full time or part time transfer to So Ca, he can only afford a few dollors a month rent, he will be depending on public transportation and has almost no money to fall back on..

Yes, you are going out on a limb. Isn't it better to level with people than give them false hope..?

Nita

Old 12-01-2009, 02:49 PM

10,630 posts, read 24,514,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy2 View Post

That strikes me as very odd advice. I don't remember the ins and outs of this thread; maybe the OP has plans for some sort of future job that requires a gym? If not, I think he's better off saving money on the gym membership and saving it up for the move. The vast majority of people in Los Angeles don't care about what he looks like, at least not anymore than any other place. Looking professional is good for interviews, of course, but this makes it sound like somehow everyone who lives in LA is expected to look like a bodybuilder or something. My company isn't hiring right now, but I can guarantee you that the last thing we're going to be concerned about is if the interviewee has big muscles or not. (combed hair, a nice interview outfit, basic grooming are of course a plus, but that doesn't involve months of advance planning.) Nothing wrong with a gym, of course, or with getting in shape, but it's certainly not a necessity, and if the OP moves to LA without a job lined up (or with a low-paying job) it could very well be an unaffordable luxury.

The reason previous posts are making it sound so dire is because the job situation is so dire. He should at least know that he's facing an uphill battle.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:11 PM

12 posts, read 24,269 times
Thanks for all the gym advice but I'm naturally in pretty good shape. There are so many potential jobs listed on craigslist that it surprises me to hear about how there are no jobs. Chicago's unemployment rate is 12% and LA's is 12.7% so I figure that the job market I see around me is going to be about the same as it is in LA. Thanks for everyone's advice and please keep it coming!

Old 12-01-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch323 View Post
Thanks for all the gym advice but I'm naturally in pretty good shape. There are so many potential jobs listed on craigslist that it surprises me to hear about how there are no jobs. Chicago's unemployment rate is 12% and LA's is 12.7% so I figure that the job market I see around me is going to be about the same as it is in LA. Thanks for everyone's advice and please keep it coming!
there are hardly any jobs on Craigslist that are for real. Beleive me, we have been there, done that...The suggest of the cable company is something you should follow up on. Again, I know the job site says jobs are available, I happen to know 2 people who have applied, just to be told there are no openings, but check it out yourself. Just do not expect anything from what you see on Craigslist...

Nita

Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 PM

95 posts, read 259,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
there are hardly any jobs on Craigslist that are for real. Beleive me, we have been there, done that...The suggest of the cable company is something you should follow up on. Again, I know the job site says jobs are available, I happen to know 2 people who have applied, just to be told there are no openings, but check it out yourself. Just do not expect anything from what you see on Craigslist...

Nita
I agree. I have a friend that is unemployed and although she has landed a few good interviews from Craigslist, the majority of the postings she responded to have been scams.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:39 PM

10,630 posts, read 24,514,660 times
It's not just Craigslist, either; a lot of the jobs posted are either not "real" jobs (not necessarily scams, but not necessarily actually hiring, either) or they're getting hundreds of applications for the same job.

I also know of companies that laid off workers previously and are hoping to hire them back as soon as finances allow. The sad thing is that many of those same employees are still available to be hired back; in a better economy they would have jobs lined up by now.

There are some jobs out there, certainly, but the listings give a pretty skewed view of what is actually available. I think your best bet is to go with the job transfer and go from there. You'll have a chance to get to know the city, see what's out there, and you can take your time finding a better-paying job, rather than feel pressured to take the first thing that comes along (which even that could take some time).

Old 12-02-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
It's not just Craigslist, either; a lot of the jobs posted are either not "real" jobs (not necessarily scams, but not necessarily actually hiring, either) or they're getting hundreds of applications for the same job.

I also know of companies that laid off workers previously and are hoping to hire them back as soon as finances allow. The sad thing is that many of those same employees are still available to be hired back; in a better economy they would have jobs lined up by now.

There are some jobs out there, certainly, but the listings give a pretty skewed view of what is actually available. I think your best bet is to go with the job transfer and go from there. You'll have a chance to get to know the city, see what's out there, and you can take your time finding a better-paying job, rather than feel pressured to take the first thing that comes along (which even that could take some time).
I agree, if he can get a commentment for a job transfer and 40 hours a week he had better take it. Then worry about finding something else later. If not, stay where he is or find someplace with a little better economy for now.

Nita

Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 AM

543 posts, read 2,934,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa R. View Post
I agree. I have a friend that is unemployed and although she has landed a few good interviews from Craigslist, the majority of the postings she responded to have been scams.
Aren't those jobs the ones that puts out free email addresses like Yahoo and Gmail as their contact info,? because all of those are scams.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
Aren't those jobs the ones that puts out free email addresses like Yahoo and Gmail as their contact info,? because all of those are scams.
Heck, my husband answered one. They were looking for freelance writhers and an editor for the publication. It turned out to be a plastic surgeon who did vagina reconstruction. Or that is what he claimed...That was just one of the many posted.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles