Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbieart View Post
What type of artist are you? If you're truly talented and strong willed you can make it on any amount of money here. The negative responses you're getting are from the one's that moved without a plan and are now suffering the consequences.
And he doesn't have a plan. What makes you think he does. He has the possibliity of a job, maybe not even full time at a company (upscale retail) and no other plans, no car, no nothing. He knows absolutely nada about so Calif and is 19. You call that a plan???

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3108r View Post
You do have to be talented in CA. I don't know about the degree. I never had one and got along pretty well in SOCA for 40 years. The problem right now is the economy. However, that may make it easier to find someplace to live. You may not find someplace to work.

If I were young, had a clean record, I would apply for city or county job. Fire Dept. Police Dept. Most of those jobs only require a GED. Keep in mind a police officer in LA right now makes about $75,000 a year before overtime. Work 30 years and retire at almost full pay. Tell me what college job gives you that benefit.

Retire and leave the city
you hit the nail on the head, 40 years ago;; today is totally different and as for applying with the city, do you have any idea how long it takes to get those jobs if you can even get one. Do you have any idea how many applicants they get and do you realize many that apply already have degrees and I don't mean GEDs or high school deplomas? I will add something else, police do not start at anywhere near $75,000 per year..

Again, you are painting the picture of what things were like in the last certury, not today..

Nita

Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 AM

5 posts, read 31,466 times
Stay home until you earn $5500 to move

Old 01-06-2010, 06:42 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch323 View Post
The move is coming close. Any last minute, useful advice? Thanks.
The overwhelming majority of the people on this thread has advised against this move, it seems you are bent on going, so there is really nothing else to add as you will learn the hard way. It is possible that you will make it but the probability is very small. Stay focused.

Lots of luck!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:19 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
19 years old? I might've done the same. I left Wisconsin at age 22 for the Bay area - but I had family (a sister) nearby for emergencies and laundry - and just for connection - very key in my opinion. I only had 300 dollars in my pocket.

But that was over 34 years ago. Things are waaay different now in California.

Matter of fact - I left California almost 20 years ago with the spouse I found in LA. He was a native - and he couldn't wait to leave.

But that was different - we were adults and needed stability - a stability LA could not offer us.

But you're 19? Maybe a couple more bucks (like over $5000) in your pocket just to get the taste of "freedom".

I wish you safety and luck.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
He doesn't have a plan, or at least not much of one. The negative response isn't just people trying to squash someone's dreams; it's just people trying to at least give him a reality check so he knows what he's getting into.

My biggest advice: put enough aside so that if it doesn't work out you can afford to move on elsewhere (home?). Stick it in a savings account or somewhere and don't touch it, except to add to it if things do work out well.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM

40 posts, read 94,817 times
[quote=nmnita;12318268]And he doesn't have a plan. What makes you think he does. He has the possibliity of a job, maybe not even full time at a company (upscale retail) and no other plans, no car, no nothing. He knows absolutely nada about so Calif and is 19. You call that a plan???

Nita[/quote

So, who has a plan at 19? The only problem I see is there are some really bad places in SOCA. Just have to be careful where you travel in the area.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:43 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,287,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3108r
So, who has a plan at 19? The only problem I see is there are some really bad places in SOCA. Just have to be careful where you travel in the area.
Agreed that most 19 yr olds don't have a plan. However, if one plans on moving across the country with $2,500 they definitely need one. I've met plent of extremely smart teens with ambitions to do things and they usually ended up not doing them at 19 but later because they had a plan that involved many years of preparation.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:07 AM

[quote=mp3108r;12334847]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And he doesn't have a plan. What makes you think he does. He has the possibliity of a job, maybe not even full time at a company (upscale retail) and no other plans, no car, no nothing. He knows absolutely nada about so Calif and is 19. You call that a plan???

Nita[/quote

I was referring to the poster that claimed the guy did have a plan. Plus you referred to things like apply with the LAPD or the Fire Dept and made comments about $75,000 a year. All this does is give false hope to someone who needs to be a little more realistic. You mentioned getting jobs with the police dept with only a GED. This just simply does not happen. I know several who are either Police officers or fire fighters in and around the So Ca area. Not one of them has only a GED. Most have college educations or AAs at least.

You made a move, many years ago, this kid is talking about now, with nothing going for him. No money, bad economy, knows nothing about Los Angeles, etc. Whether you are 19 or 39 you don't make a move like this without a plan. I might add, many 19 year olds do have a plan. It's called stay at home til you are financually stable, continue your education or develop skills that will assure you a future..

Nita

Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 AM

12 posts, read 26,438 times
Been in Los Angeles for about a month now and love it! Thanks for the advice everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles