Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:22 AM

12 posts, read 26,444 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your comments. The current situation is this: I work for an upscale retail chain that is well known for its transfer of employees. I've been working with the company for over 2 years now and they currently pay me $10 an hour for part-time. I would rather wait tables once I get out to LA because I would probably make much more money than retail. Seeing that everyone says that the food industry isn't hiring in LA, maybe it's better to stick with the company I'm at as I really don't mind it. With regards to being homeless, I'm just saying that it would be an option I would consider if I couldn't get an apartment. I don't have a car and don't want one/plan on commuting by bus. I've seen room shares on craigslist for $450 a month and figure that I have enough saved to last me at least about 4 months w/o a job. Are there any areas that anyone recommends moving to if making 10/hr/400/wk. I already have clothes and such and the only place that my money will be going is into housing and food. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 AM

329 posts, read 1,047,375 times
hutch, you are, without a doubt, seriously underestimating the power of your savings.

You say sharing a room for $450 will last you 4 months. I beg to differ. You will be paying gas and utilities (anywhere from another $30 to $100 depending on how many roommates there are there.) Some places charge you to split the cost of internet, cable TV, or satellite. Of course, none of this is ever listed in a craigslist ad. it's just something most people expect you to know through experience. also, you may have to purchase your own mattress and room furniture, unless otherwise noted.

On top of your rent and living costs, food will eat up around $30-100 PER WEEK, and that's only if you never eat out and wrap all your meals to go. Do the math, and you're shelling out $120-400 a month extra for food. Multiply that if you eat out.

And I don't suppose you'll be walking to LA, so don't neglect the cost of airfare or whatever other mode of transportation you'll be using.

I'm not saying don't do it, hutch. I live in the northeast and can't wait to move out to the west coast. I can sense your impatience and, being just a few years older that you, can identify with that. but you have to be realistic about this. do your parents have enough money to support you in case you wind up homeless and broke? do you have plans to go to college eventually? do you have more ambitious goals than working a $10/hour job all your life? you have to get realistic about these kinds of things. Right now, as things stand, you seem to be walking into the biggest mistake of your life. You appear unfocused and naive. i hope for your sake that i'm wrong.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 AM

12 posts, read 26,444 times
Thanks Robinson. All the places that I have looked into all say utilities included. Most also offer a bed or sofa to sleep on and I have money for airfare that is separate than my $2500.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
If you must do this, start with wherever your job will be. Check public transportation to find out what areas will be easy and quick to get to.

Also, look into the cost of transportation. You'll need to put that into your budget, too, unless you find a place close enough to work to walk (not a bad idea, actually). Would you be bringing a bicycle? That's another transportation option - and you can easily use it all winter, not like in Chicago.

Have you kept in touch with any of your friends from when you lived in California? Maybe someone who has a room to rent or wants a roommate? Or knows someone who does?

I agree with the posters who recommend waiting until you have more to work with. They are being realistic and helpful.

Also, you can find some good deals on Craiglist, but things are often not what they seem to be. Be careful with that.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:37 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default You Don't Have To Be Homeless......................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch323 View Post
I'm moving to LA even if I have to be homeless for awhile. I currently work at a large retail chain that has locations in the Hills and Wilshire area so I could transfer to one of those if needed but they only pay $10 bucks an hour. What are some of the areas in LA to look for to find a place to live? Thanks.

Now hold up for a second you don't have to be Homeless , if push
comes to shove Rent Rooms at local YMCA's or Youth Hostels , take
the $10 an hour transfer job and work at bettering YOURSELF thur
school and finding yourself 3 or 4 room mates to split the rent with.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:51 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default And........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
You'd be better off just making a road trip to LA and blowing that $2500 along the way. Just remember to save a few hundred for the bus trip back. Could be fun. Not much to lose at age 19.

Of course, there's about 500 destinations I would choose for a cash-blowing road trip over LA. LA is lame.

And you of course live in COLORADO................

Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 PM

95 posts, read 281,318 times
Just keep in mind that you won't be bringing home anywhere near $400 a week. They take out so much money for taxes here, you'll probably be taking home around $325 per week.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Hutch,

You talk about being homeless, working in an upscale retail store won't work for someone who is homeless, think about showers daily, keeping your cloths in good repair and freshly laundered, etc. You mention these great deals you are seeing on Craigslist, remember much of what you see isn't what you think it will be. You have no idea if these ads are for real or where they are located. There are some parts of Los Angeles, that even a 19 year old kid, that thinks they can handle anything would not survive a week. Plus if you work for an upscale retail store, it won't be anywhere near an area that is renting for $400 or so a month..Rapid transit, though available, is very different in Los Angeles than the mid west...

I know you didn't come here to listen to a bunch of people telling you "don't do it" but to be honest, what you want to do is totally foolish. If we were talking a good economy, maybe, but we are talking the worst in 70 years and no signs of much improvement. $400 a week isn't take home plus you are planning on a 40 hour work week, my bet is, you won't be able to work that many hours. What if you can only work 30 hours, what then?

Obviously you have some reason for wanting to leave your present surroundings, but please think about this...If you have to move, why not find a place that has a little better economy and lower cost of living. YOu can always settle in L.A. when things in Ca improve...

Nita

Old 12-01-2009, 09:23 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,139 times
Alright, you've heard from all the nay sayers and now I'll give you exact instructions on how to make it here.

The first thing is to go to the Time Warner Cable website and look for jobs in the Los Angeles area for installers. Once you submit your resume and get a job with them you will be making enough money to afford at least a studio for yourself. The company pays well enough for entry level technicians (installers), allows you to take your truck home so you won't have to worry about a vehicle to get to and from work, has insurance and you become elligible for a 401k after a few months. You will also get free cable, free internet and a discount on phone services (I only pay $20 an month for phone) as long as you live in an area where they service which is almost everywhere in L.A.

Keep in mind that this is blue collar work and you will be working on phone poles so you can't be afraid of heights or of getting dirty. Whatever artistic endeavours you have you can do after work and, if you fail at your artistic endeavours or just like the company, you're already in and you can advance within the company.

The work can be exausting but I have waited tables before and, trust me, it's just as exausting as this. There are also other positions availabe as far as customer service (your retail experience can come in handy) and sales but I don't really know much about the pay. The other fringe benefits I mentioned come with pretty much every job in the company.

There, now I've given you instructions on how to secure a job before you come here. Where you will be able to afford to live depends on what job you land but I have to agree that $10/hr will get you a roommate situation at best.

As far as your savings, I hate to tell you that I also have to agree that it's just not enough. You're looking at spending at least half of that on a deposit for an apartment and they definitely will not rent you something without a job. In fact, most apartments worth renting will not be available to you unless you've had a job for at least six months or they'll ask for a higher deposit.

Do what I typed above so you at least have a job lined up, try to come out here and stay for a few weeks (do you have any friends you can stay with?) and apartment hunt on your own instead of by looking online or on magazines; that's the best way to find deals in decent areas. Look in areas like North Hollywood, Los Feliz, around Koreatown, Chinatown, Van Nuys (though there are only a few areas of Van Nuys that I would recommend) and Hollywood and you might find something cheap and in a decent neighborhood.

I would look for a studio if I were you and don't fall for the first thing you see. Check out the neighborhood at night and look it up on the LAPD website to see how much crime there is in the area. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Good luck

Old 12-01-2009, 01:09 PM

49 posts, read 116,891 times
Default intelligent post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambazon View Post
I'd probably be bitter and angry too, especially if my name was Cassidy.
Just for the record my, real, name is not Cassidy; just using it to post.
Honestly, bashing my name??? I can tell your a real deep thinker and have alot going for yourself. Rock on Dude!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles