Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,585 times

Advertisements

Hi there guys. My name is Luiz aka Lontra, I'm from Brazil.

I've always had this huge crush for LA, being an 80s Hard Rocker it's like my dream to be there. I am also crazy about music, it's everything in my life.

I'm an audio engineer/sound designer and wannabe music producer. My dream has always been to go to the Berklee College of Music, in Boston, but it always made me feel quite awkward, Boston, you know?

Some time ago I heard about MI, and yesterday I finally got sometime to take a look at it. It was like a dream coming true. To study Music Engineering and live in LA at the same time, too awesome to be true.

I wen't to craigslit this afternoon and took a quick look at the housing situation. I could find some shared places in Hollywood for about 500 bucks, wich seems pretty ok to me. Plus, I took a look at the gigs section and found quite a few offers for shor movies' audio engineering jobs paying from 100 to 250 dollars.

So far it looks like a nice picture to me. Living in the city of my dreams, studying the thing I love the most and doing some quick jobs to make extra cash. I'm thinking about applying to next year's Summer Shot program, so I can take a closer look at my dream, maybe even touch it, huh?

I'd like some directions and opinions, I know things are never as nice as they seem they'll be, so what do you guys think?

Aditional info: I'm 18 now, I've been working at the area for two years (yeah, since I was 16) and that's it so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,400 times
Could you explain why Boston makes you feel awkward? Berklee College of Music in Boston is amazing from what I have heard and what a city! What is MI? Did you look at the housing situation there and if you do go to college, how will you support yourself in the meantime?

Old 11-25-2009, 03:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,585 times
Boston feels awkward 'cause it's not LA. Berklee is the most famous college of the genre, yeah, but it's also at Boston.

MI is the Musicians Institute in LA.

About surviving. Obviously, I'll have some help from my parents, but from what I saw I can make some money.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:57 AM

687 posts, read 1,119,400 times
Sure, go for it. Why not? I'm sure you will be one of the "lucky" ones that will get a job right away and become a music producer in your first year of school. You do have the grades to get into these schools along with the cash for two or three years tuition as well as a Visa to stay here, right?

Old 11-25-2009, 02:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Seems like a good amount of focus for someone 18 years old. Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: