Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 26,466 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm from NY and will be moving to Southern Cali this summer.

I just got a job offer in El Segundo, and my girlfriend just got a job offer in Seal Beach. They seem kinda far from eachother. Where would be a good place to live so that we are both kinda close to work? I'm hopin we can have a 15-20 commute each way to work.

Since our locations are limited, I guess we'd be willing to spend a little more than normal for rent. As long as it is under $1950 a month for a one or two bedroom, we'd consider it.

Thanks,
George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 10:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
I don't think you could BOTH have a 15-20 minute commute unless one of you has a helicopter. The problem with working in those two cities is that there's a lot of ghetto in between them. Forget places like Carson or Gardena. Long Beach has some parts that aren't too horrible, but they might be too far from El Segundo for you. Torrance has the same problem, except its far from Seal Beach.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:53 PM

So there are no nice places to live between el segundo and seal beach? What if we went to work earlier than most people to beat the rush hour traffic (such as going to work at 6:45AM)?

Old 04-26-2007, 11:01 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
So there are no nice places to live between el segundo and seal beach? What if we went to work earlier than most people to beat the rush hour traffic (such as going to work at 6:45AM)?
The rush hours here are very long. I think you'd have to leave by at least 6:00am to beat the traffic. I'm sure someone closer to that particular area can give you some specifics, but in general most the the areas between El Segundo and Seal Beach are pretty bad unless you live so close to one that the other person spends forever driving to work.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:07 AM

723 posts, read 2,998,214 times
Well, if you can afford it, look at Rancho Palos Verdes. Also, San Pedro has a nice section, but it also has complete crap areas. Long Beach is the same. I have lived in Long Beach and San Pedro. I have ALSO lived in Seal Beach. Seal Beach is by far one of the nicest areas I have lived in, while in California.

The rest of it comes down to money and preference. Some people prefer to live close to work, so they don't have a long commute. Other people prefer to live where they are happy- with the sacrifice of a commute.

I am not sure if Westside rentals covers that area. Craigslist will get you started.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:04 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
El Segundo and Seal Beach are both great places to live! Unfortunately, I hear, that's where you're both working. Well, Redondo Beach may be a good midway point. It's very safe and clean. Long Beach offers some very attractive neighborhoods as well. As said above, there's a LOT OF GHETTO between Seal and El Segundo- so be careful.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I guess it's down to either Redondo Beach or Long Beach. I'll look around Rancho Palos Verdes as well.

I keep hearing that Long Beach has good and bad areas. Where are its attractive areas?

Are there any nice/decent apartment communities in these areas that you know of? I'll look up westside rentals as well.

Thanks,
George

Old 04-27-2007, 09:36 AM

491 posts, read 2,289,974 times
Between El Segundo and Seal Beach are these nice places to live:

Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach (north and south), Torrance, Palos Verdes Peninsula cities. These are all west and south of the 405 freeway.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:02 AM

9 posts, read 54,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I guess it's down to either Redondo Beach or Long Beach. I'll look around Rancho Palos Verdes as well.

I keep hearing that Long Beach has good and bad areas. Where are its attractive areas?

Are there any nice/decent apartment communities in these areas that you know of? I'll look up westside rentals as well.

Thanks,
George
I would agree with Long Beach and RPV. Long Beach does have some good and bad areas. Although I'm not a resident of Long Beach (but live about 7 miles away), I believe: the North/North-East portions of Long Beach nearest the city of Lakewood would be fairly safe, and as the portion has nearby parks/golf courses (El Dorado Park, Heartwell, Skylinks, would be more family oriented. And parts of Downtown Long Beach (nearest Ocean/Atlantic) and most coastal areas such as Belmont Shores have higher costs of living areas. But I would certainly take a drive through these areas to ensure it would be a right fit for you.

I visited a friend who lived in a high-rise apartment on Ocean Blvd./Cherry Ave. and it was a very nice apartment.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:05 PM

38,864 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
Between El Segundo and Seal Beach are these nice places to live:

Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach (north and south), Torrance, Palos Verdes Peninsula cities. These are all west and south of the 405 freeway.
I pretty much agree with this list of cities as being a midway point between El Segundo and Seal Beach. You might also want to consider where I live, Lakewood, or the city next door to the east, Cerritos, both of which are nice communities. Although, driving to El Segundo from either Lakewood or Cerritos on the 105 going west in the morning and again in the late afternoon could be brutal. If your employer allows flexibility with your work hours, then it might be worth the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles