Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 05:34 PM

10 posts, read 16,841 times

Advertisements

Hi, to start things of my name is Ryan, I'm 19 and i currently live in the UK.
I really want to and I am planning to move the U.S, I have a friend who is willing to move with me. We are looking at either moving to California Long beach or NYC ( maybe manhatten ), Preferablly Cali ( anywhere if not Long beach ).
Basicly, I came on here for advice and general answers really. I know that I need a VISA and alot of money haha but, How much money do I actually need?. We are looking at renting an apartment ( cheapest possible hehe ), and I was wondering how much roughly they are Per month. One that is furnished prefered. Also we are planning to go to college but I have no qualification but I am pretty smart. Will I be able to get into a college ????
We want to preferablly go to college and bring money in aswell, to be able to live obviously. So can you guys tell me exactly what I need and what to do please

It will be very helpfull and I will be very grateful.
Thank you for your time.

Ryan.

P.S - I know you probablly get these threads all of the time haha, so sorry in advance. :/

Last edited by Rmrobs1990; 12-13-2009 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 06:19 PM

672 posts, read 2,174,512 times
OK. There is a lot you need to know.

If you want to be a student, you can get a student visa. You don't need any qualifications to go to college here. There are colleges specifically for those with no qualifications called "Community Colleges". Check out Santa Monica Community College, for example. Their website can tell you more about how much it would cost to be an international student. Tuition is crazy expensive for foreigners, though. Something like $10,000. So, if you are not rich, forget about it.

If you want to work, it is going to be tough.

Permanent work visas are really hard to come by these days, with unemployment being so high, and to get a regular visa you need to show that no American can do the job as well as you. I don't think you can get one, to be honest.

Temporary work visas are still pretty easy to get: the H-2A visa and the H-2B visa. But these are only for six months or a year in the U.S.A., then you have to go back.

H-2B means that you come to the States to work at a summer camp or ski resort or some other place that can't find help for the tourist season. I'd go with that. Google the H-2B visa.

H-2A means that you come to the States for a season to work as farm labor, which would probably suck. But it is an option, and you get free housing in dorms on a farm and free food. Did I mention that it would probably suck?

In either case, I don't think you'll end up in L.A. Both H-2A and H-2B jobs tend to be in small towns.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Thanks for your respons mike, but I will live in the U.S, haha :P I am so determined and willing.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:29 PM

any other advice ??? please.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Check out craigslist to get a sense of apartment rental costs; for colleges look at the individual college websites: they all have details about their admission requirements, tuition, etc.. Otherwise, spend some time browsing this forum; you'll find most of your questions answered in other posts. Mike121 gave you some good advice about the community colleges. You'll want to first identify potential schools and then look at where those students live and how much rents in those areas cost.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:54 AM

Ok thank you very much, i will look into it. Can you stay in th U.S for upto 90days without ** a VISA ??

Old 12-15-2009, 11:28 AM

19 posts, read 50,880 times
Hi Ryan,

Contact the British Embassy in Washington, DC

British Embassy in the United States

If I were in your situation, I rather recieve advice from the British Embassy than anyone on here.

Thats just me.

If coming to the US is what you want to do, then contact the right resources and plan.

Nothing is never too hard to accomplish, don't believe any negativity about something that is a dream or goal of yours.

Be careful who you seek advice from, people are soo negative these days.

Best wishes to you!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica2009 View Post
Hi Ryan,

Contact the British Embassy in Washington, DC

British Embassy in the United States

If I were in your situation, I rather recieve advice from the British Embassy than anyone on here.

Thats just me.

If coming to the US is what you want to do, then contact the right resources and plan.

Nothing is never too hard to accomplish, don't believe any negativity about something that is a dream or goal of yours.

Be careful who you seek advice from, people are soo negative these days.

Best wishes to you!

Seriously, Thank you so much. Nice to hear some poesitive advice

Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,500 times
all the advice are sound.this is not to offend others-but-the advice given to you is take it or leave it.even if you consult with the british embassy- even the officials don't have a thorough knowledge of the economic conditions prevailing in a particular state.now, food in california is at least within the reach- if you have just a dollar- you can survive your 3 meals or 4 meals - just go to the 99cents store. now,the tuition is really expensive for international student-unless you really have money to spend.the rentals here in california is too expensive.i have been living here in pomona,california- and i have a friend- who is studying in cal poly pomona-engineering.it is a state university.i would advice you to just have a room rented with your buddy-so that it won't drain your pocket.living here in usa,would depend on how much you can control or discipline yourself.if you and your friend got plenty of skills,that will help a lot.you must not get hook into drugs- because its everywhere- once you get hook- you will be a living dead.also you must know how to ride a bike.it will help because the bus here in california has a bike rack where you can carry your bike and the public transportation are excellent and air conditioned.there is also yard sale where you can buy your staff.it is a must for you and your buddy to have a computer.now, internet connection is free-in the case of state univerity like cal poly pomona- its free meaning you can use their facilities- read books, have internet connection- but you can't take out the stuff out-library use only.food in the university is expensive- so just buy your food outside- in that way you save your money.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:45 PM

304 posts, read 931,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmrobs1990 View Post
Hi, to start things of my name is Ryan, I'm 19 and i currently live in the UK.
I really want to and I am planning to move the U.S, I have a friend who is willing to move with me. We are looking at either moving to California Long beach or NYC ( maybe manhatten ), Preferablly Cali ( anywhere if not Long beach ).
Basicly, I came on here for advice and general answers really. I know that I need a VISA and alot of money haha but, How much money do I actually need?. We are looking at renting an apartment ( cheapest possible hehe ), and I was wondering how much roughly they are Per month. One that is furnished prefered. Also we are planning to go to college but I have no qualification but I am pretty smart. Will I be able to get into a college ????
We want to preferablly go to college and bring money in aswell, to be able to live obviously. So can you guys tell me exactly what I need and what to do please

It will be very helpfull and I will be very grateful.
Thank you for your time.
Ryan.

P.S - I know you probablly get these threads all of the time haha, so sorry in advance. :/
------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to California!

The cheapest 2 bedroom apt I have ever seen in Long Beach is around $950. Rare. Mostly they are above 1000 up to 3300 a month. But you will likely need two months deposit, then deposits to start the gas and water/power accounts.

Best for you to save as much as you can and to have work waiting for you before you get here if possible.

Once you get here, be an adult and get a real estate agent to help you find something appropriate. Their services to you, the renter, are free. He/she will help weed out the lousy landlords. If you just go to Craigslist you are on your own. there are lots of oddball landlords who dont want to have to follow the laws and may take advantage of you.

And since you dont have credit bureaus to provide a credit report for your apt shopping, ask your bank there what you can bring to show landlords here that you are a good risk. They ALL ask for a credit report so get that part handled.

I assume you are going to LB for a reason. Some areas are great and some are pretty medium....just like LA or anywhere else. Near Cal State Long Beach landlords will be used to dealing with young people if you decide to go it alone without professional help.

Welcome to California!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles