Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,168 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone - great to meet all of you. I'm new to these boards and am thinking about buying a home in Canyon Country. Can anyone give any insights about the Fair Oaks Ranch neighborhoods? These are the new developments that Pardee Homes is constructing. Specifically, I'm looking at the homes at Oak Crest. The sales office is at 27311 Rose Mellow Lane, Santa Clarita, CA 91387.

I've read some posts that were somewhat sour on Canyon Country, but the Oak Crest neighborhood seemed nice. Could it be that this area of Canyon Country is more palatable than the other areas?

To tell you a little about myself, I work from home (no commute to worry about), my wife works close by in Valencia, we have a 10-year old daughter and we have a good sized dog. I'd like to know how the elementary and high schools are in the area, how safe the neighborhood is, what types of people live there, and any other general information about the area. We like going to local gyms, outdoorsy things (hiking and swimming especially), trying out restaurants and going on an occasional motorcycle ride.

Thank you - I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 04:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biguns View Post
I'd like to know how the elementary and high schools are in the area, how safe the neighborhood is, what types of people live there, and any other general information about the area.
Schools

School Performance Maps
and GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Types of people

I couldn't get data on 91387 for some reason but here is 91351 adjacent

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:22 AM..

Old 12-14-2009, 10:49 AM

191 posts, read 586,505 times
Canyon Country has a stigma in some circles that is a drag on home values. From what I've seen @ Fair Oaks Ranch, the homes are priced a bit high relative to the surrounding area. If you're set on new homes, take a look at West Creek and West Hills in Valencia. There is a brand new school constructed for that area, but it isn't yet opened. Elementary is Tesoro (just got over 900 API), middle is Rio Norte (also over 900 API, practically unheard of), Valencia High School. These are some of the very best schools in the area. You'll also find Valencia is more consistent in its master planning, whereas Canyon Country has a legacy of an unplanned community (drive down any of the major roads, you will see a difference when you crossover to Valencia).

RiverVillage (tagged as Valencia but it has a Saugus 91350 zip code) is another option, and Saugus is a fine community. You'll get more for your money here.

Regarding motorcycle rides and being outdoors, the San Francisquito Canyon is adjacent to West Hills/West Creek and is a favorite ride/drive for folks who like the open road. The central walking/hiking/biking trails in Santa Clarita are the Santa Clara and San Francsiquito creek trails, which are accessible from just about anywhere. There's also Placerita Canyon, which is closer to Canyon Country and offers all kinds of hiking (we take our little ones there about once a month for morning hikes).

Finally, take a look at the sex offender registry for the area. You'll notice Canyon Country and Newhall have more sex offenders than the rest of the Santa Clarita valley.

It depends on what's important to you, but take a look at everything.

Good luck.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,082 times
Default Moving to santa clarita or valencia?

Mr. Biguns

First of all Welcome to Sunny California!

The Santa Clarita Valley, is beautiful, and it was rated as one of the safest city of the entire nation!

Valencia,Stevenson Ranch,Saugus, Placerita Canyon Sand Canyon etc..are great family oriented cities with great award winning schools.

All that information about neighborhoods,crime,unemployment,sex offenders, points of interest should be provided and given to you by a local Realtor/Title agencies. He or she will give you that information.

I wih you luck!

[mod edit: deleted personal email address]

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 12-20-2009 at 01:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles