Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2006, 03:52 PM

16 posts, read 67,664 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm new to the boards, so I figured I'd introduce myself. I was born here in the area, and live within five miles from where I grew up; I wouldn't say I'm an expert of the area ( I can't quote statistics, housing price trends and whatnot), but I may be able to shed some light on the "good and bad" areas near where I live. My wife is a grade school teacher (in progress), and we have two children. I work for Arco/bp in Carson.

I happened to find this forum while doin' some surfin'. After reading some of the posts, I felt inspired to join; maybe my perspective will help someone make a better decision on moving. I think there is good and bad in all areas no matter where you live. Are things worse here than they were when I was a kid? Sure, but what area isn't? Great forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 04:59 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
thanks BB. i just joined and was saddened by all the LA poo poo-ers. i kinda think most ofthese poeple dont even live here.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:05 PM

thanks for the "thanks" one, I agree w/you.

-BB

Old 07-23-2006, 06:21 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
BobbyB, terrific, you can give info to people here about South Bay. Some of us started quoting statistics to refute the apes that were claiming one could buy a house in nice Westside areas for $300K and that the public schools were all great, etc. You get the picture.

These forums seem to be for people to comparison-shop area for relocation, based upon a middle income lifetstyle. The rich don't need a forum like this, they can just move to the safest, prettiest areas anyway.

I've lived in L.A. for over five decades. If you click my name and aren't too bored to read the archive of my posting, you can read a history of why my husband and I must leave our home of 50 years that has so degenerated from any reasonable quality of life for lower-middle-class persons the nanosecond he retires.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:04 PM

473 posts, read 2,755,136 times
i have also lived in CA all my life "the one" so i dont know what youre talking about...

you're probably upset because the truth doesnt match up w/ the fantasies youve formed in your head about LA.

are there nice areas in LA? SURE!...but you have to be pretty rich to live there.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
BobbyB, terrific, you can give info to people here about South Bay. Some of us started quoting statistics to refute the apes that were claiming one could buy a house in nice Westside areas for $300K and that the public schools were all great, etc. You get the picture.

These forums seem to be for people to comparison-shop area for relocation, based upon a middle income lifetstyle. The rich don't need a forum like this, they can just move to the safest, prettiest areas anyway.

I've lived in L.A. for over five decades. If you click my name and aren't too bored to read the archive of my posting, you can read a history of why my husband and I must leave our home of 50 years that has so degenerated from any reasonable quality of life for lower-middle-class persons the nanosecond he retires.
Fastfilm, I hope you didn't take my statistics comment the wrong way, as it wasn't meant to be. You are correct about the prices though. We purchased our home a little over 3 years ago for 380k, and it was a FIXER. It's now SUPPOSEDLY worth 620k. That is just ridiculous. But , it's like that everywhere. This market is overinflated, and, as things that go up do, it'll come down. I have read serveral of your posts, and they have touched me. I watched the area where my Dad lives, turn sour (not L.A.). It's really a sad situation. We had so much fun there as kids, now I wouldn't want to live there with my kids at all.

On another note, I am blue collar, and my wife a teacher. We are far from rich, but we make do with what we get, and save and plan until we can trade up.

Last edited by Marka; 08-07-2006 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles