Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 16,444 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this forum and was hoping to find some information about the best places to live. I just graduated college and have a job located in Pasadena. I'm moving all the way across the country and know very little about Pasadena and the areas around it. I'm looking for apartments in the $1400-$1900 / month range. I'm hoping to find a place with a washer and dryer included in the apartment unit. I am a male in my early twenties. If anyone can offer any assistance about neighborhoods I should look at I would really appreciate it.

It should go without saying that I'm looking for an area with low amounts of crime. I've looked some online for apartments in Pasadena, Glendale, and Burbank, but there's only so much info I can get from websites. Thanks guys and girls.

Last edited by Yeertha; 12-15-2009 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 04:30 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
I don't think you should rent a place without comming to look at it first. Much of Pasadena is very nice and the areas on and around Colorado in Old Town have a pretty active nightlife. Your price range is fine...more than fine for a one bedroom. The only sticking point might be the washer and dryer. I just ran a search and found a few apartments between Lake and the 134 entrance on the streets near Colorado. Prices are high IMO(studio $1600-1800 a month), but are mostly newer buildings and are in the Old Town area and have washer and dryer in unit.

Your money will go MUCH farther if you live in an older building just a little bit away....my friend pays $1100 a month for a one bedroom in a quiet older building just off Allen and Colorado, but no washer dryer in unit. Still thats a $6k-8.4K difference per year and I'm not sure schleping down to the washer and dryer in the building once a week vs having it in your unit is really worth that much money.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
If you're working in Pasadena I'd live in Pasadena, not Burbank or Glendale (not that they're far, but might as well save yourself the commute!). What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? What kind of housing? Your budget is decent, and you shouldn't have any problem finding something. I'd concentrate on the neighborhoods south of the 210 along Colorado Blvd., as that would put you within close proximity to a lot of the action: restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Old Pasadena spreads out from the intersection of Fair Oaks and Colorado and has a lot of stuff (and is pretty trendy), but anywhere along Colorado is still going to be convenient. Areas to the south (along California, Arroyo, Lake, etc.) also have a number of rentals available, and some are going to have in-unit w/d. South Pasadena is also very convenient to most of Pasadena, a bit quieter, but has a lot of apartment buildings.

Most of Pasadena is very safe; it's the NW section (depending on one's definition that's north of the 210 and east of either Los Robles or Fair Oaks) that has the reputation for less safe neighbohborhoods (although even there that's not an absolute). Heading west on Colorado over the Colorado Bridge brings you into the Eagle Rock neighborhood of LA, which has some nice options as well. It all depends exactly what you want out of a neighborhood.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,126 times
Pasadena is a good place to live, i used to lived there for 2 years.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:11 PM

27 posts, read 101,092 times
I would agree with the other posters the dollar range you are looking at will get you some fairly descent one and possibly two bedroom apartments. Finding a washer/dryer per unit is a bit more difficult.

You did not mention the general area your job is located and whether you will have a vehicle to commute. Pasadena isn't large, but some areas are a bit more challenging to get to by bus.

I would agree that the northwestern part of Pasadena (with the exception of immediately adjacent to the Rosebowl) is a bit more rough. Generally speaking south of Colorado Avenue is more desireable. The next major south street is Del Mar and below that is California. As you head further south, in general the location gets much better, but becomes more expensive and not all areas have apartments.

There are quite a bit of apartments along Sierra Madre (south of Colorado) that is priced in your range.

Something to consider and it all depends on your taste. Between Orange Grove on the far west end of Pasadena to Sierra Madre Villa (just past the mid point of Pasadena) and along Colorado Avenue is the Rose Parade route. It gets pretty noisy along this corridor leading up to the parade day. Traffic is also restricted during the parade events. If you are not into this type of scene, even if it is only once a year, you should take that into consideration and choose to live outside of this route.

Good luck

Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 AM

689 posts, read 2,582,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeertha View Post
I'm new to this forum and was hoping to find some information about the best places to live. I just graduated college and have a job located in Pasadena. I'm moving all the way across the country and know very little about Pasadena and the areas around it. I'm looking for apartments in the $1400-$1900 / month range. I'm hoping to find a place with a washer and dryer included in the apartment unit. I am a male in my early twenties. If anyone can offer any assistance about neighborhoods I should look at I would really appreciate it.

It should go without saying that I'm looking for an area with low amounts of crime. I've looked some online for apartments in Pasadena, Glendale, and Burbank, but there's only so much info I can get from websites. Thanks guys and girls.
First off congradulations, finding a job out of college these days is a difficult task. There are lots of new and newer apartment buildings along the Colorado Boulevard corridor. Most of these would have something in your price range and they most likely are offering move-in incentives to get filled up. I'm guessing most of them have some kind of web site also, here are a couple of examples from a quick google Pasadena California Apartments - Home - Terraces At Paseo Colorado Old Pasadena Collection Apartments * • * Pasadena, California* • * (626)405-0865 Try to find something similar and sign a 6 month lease which should give you enough time to explore the area better and find a place to settle in.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:47 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeertha View Post
I'm new to this forum and was hoping to find some information about the best places to live. I just graduated college and have a job located in Pasadena.

In my opinion, I think your best bet is to LIVE in Pasadena...it will make your commute better and it is simply a more interesting area to live than Glendale or Burbank (though there is nothing "wrong" with those areas).

I lived in Pasadena when I was in your age range (way back in the early 1990's) and you'll have a great time. Restaurants, bars, museums, nightlife, beautiful architecture, etc.

Sure, you might get bored with it in a year or so...but you can always move to another area if you decide to stick around. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles