Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,866 times

Advertisements

I was wondering where there are suburbs or cities somewhat near the city of Los Angeles that are safe, pretty affordable, more of a republican area, and is not prone to big earthquakes or large ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 04:46 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Earthquakes can happen anywhere in the LA area. The best you can do is make sure you're on rock instead of sand or landfill. Safe and affordable are relative. In general the farther you get from the city of LA into the San Fernando Valley, Gan Gabriel Valley, or Orange County, the more suburban it gets. Southern Orange County is probably the most republican area you'll find in the LA area but I wouldn't want to commute from there to LA.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:00 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2469 View Post
I was wondering where there are suburbs or cities somewhat near the city of Los Angeles that are safe, pretty affordable, more of a republican area, and is not prone to big earthquakes or large ones?
There are 88 cities in Los Angeles County, including Los Angeles itself.

There are 34 cities in Orange County. Again, as Escape said, some of those are a wee bit far if you want to be near Los
Angeles.

In both of these counties (especially Los Angeles) there are large swaths of unincorporated communities, some of them very well-to-do.

Inside of the city Los Angeles, which covers about 480 square miles, there are literally dozens and dozens of neighborhoods.

(For regular consumers of this forum, I am aware that this is my standard shtick with broad questions such as this; I just want the OP to have a whole "playing field" from which to start.)

Not only is south Orange County "republican", but so are places like the west San Fernando Valley (city of LA), and some of Santa Clarita. Also are places like Westlake Village, Agoura, and Calabasas. (I'm equating suburban/rural with republican....feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this count.) Much of the rest of the rest of Orange County would probably work for you as well, and it is closer to LA than the southern part is.

If the political leanings of a place are that important, and you can be a few hours from downtown LA, try Bakersfield or anywhere else in the county where it is the seat (Kern). It is quite different than LA, however.
But there are newer developments there as well.

Last edited by mrsltd; 12-17-2009 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: adding facts

Old 12-17-2009, 07:23 PM

448 posts, read 1,606,179 times
I will have to disagree with the West San Fernando Valley being republican. Every congressional representative from the West SFV is democratic.

Go here: http://www.house.gov/ (go to zip finder) and even here: The California State Assembly

The rule of thumb is if you're in the city of Los Angeles, it's pretty much guaranteed to be represented by the Democratic party. Santa Clarita is probably the closest 'Republican' area you'll find to Los Angeles and even that area is becoming more democratic as it grows. Another area that you might consider is Simi Valley as it is an older/white demographic and has a library named after Reagan there.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
It depends on a couple of things: what do you consider affordable and how far from downtown L>A> are you thinking about...

Suggestions, some are more republican than others but all would fit to some degree and vary in affordability:

Glendale and the surrounding areas like La Canada

So Pasadena

Temple City and Arcadia

Glendora (getting pretty far east)

most of Orange county

Some parts of West Valley, but certainly not all. Probably Simi Valley would be one ( am not sure) also possible Westlake Village as well. (again am not sure as I don't know the SFV as well as the SGV.

Nita

Old 12-18-2009, 11:35 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
what do republican areas feel and look like? hmmmm.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:22 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
South Pasadena is definitely not a Republican area, although there are some Republicans living there.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:06 PM

448 posts, read 1,606,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
South Pasadena is definitely not a Republican area, although there are some Republicans living there.

Agreed, South Pasadena is not Republican at all. The area voted heavily against prop 8, but that's a whole can of worms we won't open on this forum.

Glendale may have some Republican leanings, but again, a lot of the republican representatives there over the last 10 years have been voted out of office and replaced by Democratic members. The area is definitely majority Democratic. You really have to go to the outskirts of the city to go to Republican areas. Like others have mentioned, Westlake Village is a good start or Thousand Oaks. That's not in the San Fernando Valley though. You have to be willing to drive.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:49 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
what do republican areas feel and look like? hmmmm.
Republican areas feel and look like Valencia or Taft -- "upscale" or oil town.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:51 PM

77 posts, read 303,629 times
San Marino was or is a Republican stronghold. I believe it was the headquaters at one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles