U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,483 times

Advertisements

I admit, I live an unconventional life. I'm an artist. My rent is paid by a third party that admires my work. When my landlord realized this he poo-pawed me and said, "well I sure wish I didn't have to pay rent, this is a problem..." Now he is coming after me because I sleep during the day and work at night. He says I am extremely loud and that I should find somewhere else to live. However, at night, I am listening to political talk shows and painting! I do not understand why he is discriminating against me because I don't work a nine to five. I don't care what other people do! I just wanna live my life. I'm new to Los Angeles from San Francisco. I'm confused! Can he really kick me out because I don't sleep at night and I have someone else paying my rent? Is this really happening?? Help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 03:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 37,607,655 times
If you're up at all hours disturbing your neighbors, you should rent a house.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:05 PM

4 posts, read 12,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobtheunicorn View Post
I admit, I live an unconventional life. I'm an artist. My rent is paid by a third party that admires my work. When my landlord realized this he poo-pawed me and said, "well I sure wish I didn't have to pay rent, this is a problem..." Now he is coming after me because I sleep during the day and work at night. He says I am extremely loud and that I should find somewhere else to live. However, at night, I am listening to political talk shows and painting! I do not understand why he is discriminating against me because I don't work a nine to five. I don't care what other people do! I just wanna live my life. I'm new to Los Angeles from San Francisco. I'm confused! Can he really kick me out because I don't sleep at night and I have someone else paying my rent? Is this really happening?? Help!

Call Legal Aid Services of your area. They give legal advice to those that fall within a low or no income guideline. Also, make a formal complaint with HUD, which is s Federal Agency that oversees that no discrimination takes place against those that rent. google it as Hud Housing and Development and surf the site. There is a world of information in this site. BEST OF LUCK!!

Old 12-18-2009, 04:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 37,607,655 times
I'm curious how you got the unit in the first place. Every apartment I've rented made me fill out a form stating my income and ran a credit check. If your benefactor on the lease? Did you have enough income apart from that person to make the rent? I can understand the landlord not wanting a situation where there's no one to hold responsible.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:21 PM

We paid a few months rent up front. That's how I got the place. I am a writer and a painter. I don't really make money. But I'm very educated. This is the reality for those of us in America. If I was European, I'd have health care and money from the state. Alas!

Old 12-18-2009, 04:22 PM

Oh, and thanks for the info dwayneteamo! I'm gonna check out that website now!

Old 12-18-2009, 06:39 PM

7,161 posts, read 8,792,770 times
Your situation is dependent soley on what is written into the rental agreement..
Most landlords, myself included have a "quiet enjoyment" clause in the rental agreement.
What that means is, no noise that would disturb other tenants.
As for the landlord kicking you out, here is the process:
First he must ask you to keep the noise at a minimum.
If it persist, he can issue you a three day to perform covenant or quit.
What that means is you have three days to stop making any noise that would disturb other tenants.
If after three days, the noise persist, he can issue a thirty day notice to vacate., which most courts will honor.
Now about you being up all night, and sleeping during the day, there is nothing the landlord can do about that.
The issue is, if you are making disturbing noise, that is grounds for eviction.
You being an artist reminds me of one of my previous tenants.
He too was an artist and I noticed he kept late hours.
Fotunately my units are one bedroom detached houses so if he were making noise, no one heard it.
Any way, he went on too be quite well know in the art world here in Los Angeles, and has worked his way up to the international stage, with a recent showing in Europe.
I get the feeling the "noise" is a stereo playing with the volume turned up.
If that is the case, if you intend to stay there, you need to lower the volume, or perhaps get a headset.
As for someone other than you paying the rent, it would be a good idea to look at your rental agreement, and see who is, and isn't on that agreement.
If you aren't on it, the landlord has the right to tell you to move.
Any notice to move , regardless of the circumstances, must be given thirty days in advance of vacating, if you are on a month to month rental.
Personally, I don't rent to people who are not occupying the unit.
I did that once years ago, and when the tenent got behind in the rent, I had a real problem finding the one that was actually paying the rent
I had to hire a detective to track her down.
After three months, I found her living in Barstow.
That was a lesson well learned.
As for your situation, be reasonable with the noise at night and you should be able to stay there.
Bob.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobtheunicorn View Post
I think he is just mad that he has to work 9-5 job. Your under a contract/agreement right? if so he can't just kick you out. Unless your being like really disturbing.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:25 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,799,821 times
I don't think the work the OP's benefactor admires is the arts.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:19 AM

1,767 posts, read 6,444,915 times
Perhaps the late night "political talk shows" are a tad loud? Is your benefactor "watching" them with you? "I live an unconventional lifestyle, but you better conform!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles