Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:15 PM

76 posts, read 243,230 times

Advertisements

Lived in both, live in LA (okay, Long Beach, but work in downtown LA). Both are amazing, the standard against which other cities compare themselves. Believe me, you think LA has an inferiority complex against NY? Try living in Philly. Cripes, now that's a city that hates NY (they hate LA too, but NY is closer with lots of sports rivalries). But what NY and LA both have is, yeah they have all the crime, congestion, pollution and high cost of most big cities but they also have a pulse, great places to eat, to hang out, to gather, great art galleries, great museums, high profile people...Imagine Baltimore (sorry, but I hate it), all the crime but where's THEIR culture? Ditto Philly. Or how about sprawl? We hate that about LA, right? Ever been to Phoenix or Houston? Seen the smog in Denver? Comparing NY and LA to me is misplaced, since they're both the best cities we have in the US, just very, very different (SF must also get a mention as one of the top cities this country has). I'd just rather stay in LA now that I'm here, and yeah, it's mostly because of the weather and the outdoor options - taken with all the other awesomeness of city life that we have...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 10:06 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired of being inside View Post
Lived in both, live in LA (okay, Long Beach, but work in downtown LA). Both are amazing, the standard against which other cities compare themselves. Believe me, you think LA has an inferiority complex against NY? Try living in Philly. Cripes, now that's a city that hates NY (they hate LA too, but NY is closer with lots of sports rivalries). But what NY and LA both have is, yeah they have all the crime, congestion, pollution and high cost of most big cities but they also have a pulse, great places to eat, to hang out, to gather, great art galleries, great museums, high profile people...Imagine Baltimore (sorry, but I hate it), all the crime but where's THEIR culture? Ditto Philly. Or how about sprawl? We hate that about LA, right? Ever been to Phoenix or Houston? Seen the smog in Denver? Comparing NY and LA to me is misplaced, since they're both the best cities we have in the US, just very, very different (SF must also get a mention as one of the top cities this country has). I'd just rather stay in LA now that I'm here, and yeah, it's mostly because of the weather and the outdoor options - taken with all the other awesomeness of city life that we have...
When you lived in NYC did you ever go to the Bronx? I have aunts\ cousins but they live in a pretty tough neighborhood based on what they told me. I'd still like to go & visit New York. I know I could not live there because of liking to be outside so much & all the sports activities we do here.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
LA is better than NYC because in LA, in February, you can put the top down and drive to the beach and it's 75 degrees and the mountains are out and you are thinking you are one lucky dog to be living in such a great place.

You cannot do that in NYC. In NYC there's a foot of dirty slush on the ground, you're scraping the ice off your windshield, it's colder than Billy Blue and you are wondering why the heck you don't live in LA.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:35 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,207 times
Having lived in both cities and being a current resident of Long Island I cannot recall having a conversation with a NYer or LA native that referenced the other city. The premise that there is resentment or rivalry is the stuff of rap songs and blogs. Frankly nobody cares.

I also see many assumptions being thrown around about NY that are way off base. I imagine most NYers picture LA in their minds eye resembling Compton footage from Boyz n' the Hood or Joan Rivers' red carpet coverage. Of course neither offer a real glimpse of living in LA County. Just as NYers have no clue about LA life, LA residents with visions of Wall Street or Fort Apache the Bronx are equally misinformed. The NY Metro Area, like the LA Metro Area goes well beyond the city proper. A great example of reality vs perception, do a search for "Top 10 Beaches", pick a website or 2 to review. You may be surpised how the beaches on Long Island stack up against SoCal.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
I got up this morning at 4 am and walked on the beach. After a little while, I put my dog in the car and we drove(windows down)into the mountains. Hiked for a couple hours, and just got home to Burbank. I'm about to leave and get some amazing fish tacos. Once I eat those delicious tacos, I'm going to head to the Farmer's market to soak up some sun and shop for some fresh, local produce. Once I leave, I'm going to drive down to Long Beach to walk around the beach and visit the aquarium. After I get tired of the fish, I'm going to drive into Los Feliz, and grab some food at an outdoor cafe. To finish my night, I'm going to catch the Light Festival at Griffith Park.

Can you do that in NYC today?
Let me take a stab at retracing your footsteps in the NY Metro Area sounds like a great day in the mountains and the South Bay! I live on the Great South Bay on Long Island, because it has "Great" in its name, it is clearly the better bay .

" got up this morning at 4 am and walked on the beach. "

I have a dog and a beach steps away from my house, check (The 4 a.m. thing is out however, 5:30 am for me, I need my sleep.).

"After a little while, I put my dog in the car and we drove(windows down)into the mountains"

Tough one, the South Shore of Long Island is flat as a pancake and the hills and bluffs of the North Shore are not comparable to a nice drive up a winding mountain road. Off to the Poconos, stunning vistas driving through the mountains, great hiking and skiing. You may be surprised many people commute daily to Manhattan from the Poconos. 2 hour drive, it's going to be a long day...(Ask me again in June about the windows being down,,,aint happening today.)

"I'm about to leave and get some amazing fish tacos. Once I eat those delicious tacos, I'm going to head to the Farmer's market to soak up some sun and shop for some fresh, local produce.:

I have to pass on the fish tacos, give me a nice slice of pie from any number of pizza joints in the area and I'm set for lunch. I'll head up to the North Fork for my fresh farm stand produce and visit to a winery for a bottle of Merlot to go with dinner.

Once I leave, I'm going to drive down to Long Beach to walk around the beach and visit the aquarium.

I'll pass the Riverhead Aquarium on my way to the Hamptons so I'll stop there first, then down to the South Fork, the Hamptons are beautiful even in the winter, off season you can bring your dog with you as you walk the beach.

"After I get tired of the fish, I'm going to drive into Los Feliz, and grab some food at an outdoor cafe. To finish my night, I'm going to catch the Light Festival at Griffith Park."

I have to get back to you again in June,,,no outdoor Cafe's for me today. I'll substitute taking in a show or exhibit for good measure. Summerstage in Central Park would fit nicely in the comparison this summer.

A bit too much driving for me in a day but could be done, traffic in NY or LA would throw a wet blanket on either day.

Last edited by Burb; 01-05-2010 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Having lived in both cities and being a current resident of Long Island I cannot recall having a conversation with a NYer or LA native that referenced the other city. The premise that there is resentment or rivalry is the stuff of rap songs and blogs. Frankly nobody cares.

I also see many assumptions being thrown around about NY that are way off base. I imagine most NYers picture LA in their minds eye resembling Compton footage from Boyz n' the Hood or Joan Rivers' red carpet coverage. Of course neither offer a real glimpse of living in LA County. Just as NYers have no clue about LA life, LA residents with visions of Wall Street or Fort Apache the Bronx are equally misinformed. The NY Metro Area, like the LA Metro Area goes well beyond the city proper. A great example of reality vs perception, do a search for "Top 10 Beaches", pick a website or 2 to review. You may be surpised how the beaches on Long Island stack up against SoCal.
Only problem is that you would be stuck in traffic for hours!

Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 PM

52 posts, read 181,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Honestly...

WHO
THE
HELL
CARES?

Do New Yorkers want a medal if we say that NYC is a superior city? Get a grip, we have more important things to care about. I've lived in both, and would much rather be in LA. Most people in both cities just want to live their lives without being hassled.
+1

pointless thread.

but i still feel like i need to add something

LA and NYC are apples and oranges. I lived in NYC for 24 years and moved here 2 years ago. I left NYC because I hated it, and living here now I can also see why some people would hate LA.

But what I have learned is this. Both cities (just like any city) have different things to offer for different people. I personally prefer the amazing topography and geography of LA over the 24hr nightlife of NYC, because i am a married man in my 30s who would rather go hiking than wake up at noon from partying until 5am the night before, like i did in New York.

I know many friends back east who wouldn't like it here, and i know about a dozen ex New Yorkers who came out here because they couldnt stand the NYC grind anymore, like myself and my wife.

Neither LA or NYC is "better" than the other. Thread closed.

.....or if you wish, talk amongst yourselves.

Oh and PS: NYC (all of metro New York not just manhattan) has by far much worse traffic than LA.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:17 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
I got up this morning at 4 am and walked on the beach. After a little while, I put my dog in the car and we drove(windows down)into the mountains. Hiked for a couple hours, and just got home to Burbank. I'm about to leave and get some amazing fish tacos. Once I eat those delicious tacos, I'm going to head to the Farmer's market to soak up some sun and shop for some fresh, local produce. Once I leave, I'm going to drive down to Long Beach to walk around the beach and visit the aquarium. After I get tired of the fish, I'm going to drive into Los Feliz, and grab some food at an outdoor cafe. To finish my night, I'm going to catch the Light Festival at Griffith Park.

Can you do that in NYC today?
Nice answer.

No, but if you're lucky one day you might run into the great Mayor Mike Bloomburger on the subway, crammed up against 1,000 other people.

I'm neither a NYC nor LA-er, but I'd take LA over the arrogance capital in a heartbeat, if forced to choose.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 PM

8 posts, read 52,213 times
NYC is the Capitol of the World. NYC has the most action, the most fashion, the most variety, and the most people. Now I'll admit that most castings of films and tv shows are in LA respectfully, so I'll absolutely give film and such to LA over NYC.

But that's about it really. That's WHY most celebs live in LA, because all of the casting takes place there. Not to mention Hollywood is there, too (obviously). So LA > NYC in film. That's why I'll be moving to LA within a year or so.

I'm a working just-starting actor, so I would know all about that. NYC is a great start place for that, but LA is where a lot of the action is regarding that. However, LA also has weather over NYC, I'll admit that too.

So basically, both big cities have their ups and downs. But NYC has 7,000,000 to 12,000,000 tourists a year for a reason. It's much more recognized then LA is. So that's the evidence in that NYC is more popular then LA is at least.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:34 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ25779 View Post
NYC is the Capitol of the World. NYC has the most action, the most fashion, the most variety, and the most people. Now I'll admit that most castings of films and tv shows are in LA respectfully, so I'll absolutely give film and such to LA over NYC.

But that's about it really. That's WHY most celebs live in LA, because all of the casting takes place there. Not to mention Hollywood is there, too (obviously). So LA > NYC in film. That's why I'll be moving to LA within a year or so.

I'm a working just-starting actor, so I would know all about that. NYC is a great start place for that, but LA is where a lot of the action is regarding that. However, LA also has weather over NYC, I'll admit that too.

So basically, both big cities have their ups and downs. But NYC has 7,000,000 to 12,000,000 tourists a year for a reason. It's much more recognized then LA is. So that's the evidence in that NYC is more popular then LA is at least.
i like nyc and would like to live there sometime in my life, but the older i get the more i realize that sharing a 400sf apartment is a little too third world for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles