Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:32 AM

56 posts, read 133,368 times

Advertisements

Though I try and stay calm, be in the present, it's easy to get overwhelmed - and I'M not the one doing the drive. Bunjee, I'll share your last thoughts with her when she wakes - she and my husband are both more familiar with highways here than I am. It is my hope that since she's going opposite the commuters, she'll do better.
Does FastTrack charge a flat rate or per use or??
And do you think it'd be worth the cost for the amount she'd be able to use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 06:57 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
She's going to have no semblance of a life those three days, and will probably need each following day to recover (assuming the three days aren't in a row).

I know it's only 2 quarters, but if I were in her shoes, I would exhaust every other option to avoid that commute.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:20 AM

David, thanks. Even going east in the morning? I just looked at google map and it's showing green.
And when I put route in sigalert: Sigalert.com Routes
it shows less than 1.5 hours.
Does siglalert give these estimates based on time of day or?
is sigalert considered unreliable?

Old 12-28-2009, 07:26 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjinca View Post
David, thanks. Even going east in the morning? I just looked at google map and it's showing green.
And when I put route in sigalert: Sigalert.com Routes
it shows less than 1.5 hours.
Does siglalert give these estimates based on time of day or?
is sigalert considered unreliable?
You're looking at 630AM traffic on a holiday week. Different story on a normal weekday.

Sigalert is pretty accurate.
Also check out google maps, traffic, traffic at time and day.
Also, traffic.com

Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 AM

I was just looking at some of the different traffic websites after seeing other similar questions on city-data and commuting. Thinking we need to make a run next week before the quarter begins. She's willing to leave early in mornings to either avoid the worst of it or allow enough time if it is really this bad going east.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
She's going to have no semblance of a life those three days, and will probably need each following day to recover (assuming the three days aren't in a row).

I know it's only 2 quarters, but if I were in her shoes, I would exhaust every other option to avoid that commute.
Thanks David. It's not that I DON'T trust all this feedback, I'm just trying to remain hopeful. As a new mom, she'll need the following days to recover, period. And hearing how gruesome this drive will be scares me. But we want to be as prepared as possible so all this feedback really is appreciated. Sounds as if this was a 5 day commute it'd kill her.

And really, I don't see how she can avoid it. We don't have the bucks to set her up closer to Riverside, and if we did, then we'd have to also be paying for childcare and really don't feel good about trusting another with this little guy for a while. It's just a tough situation. And the best we can come up with is, she moves in with us, I do childcare and she survives these 2 quarters. Then she'll probably enter a master's program over here as her degree won't set her up for financial independence. Her plan was, get the degree, join peacecorp, dig wells, travel. Degree is an ethnic studies/polysci mix and jobs are very low paying. Now with responsibility for baby, she's looking at a nursing degree. God I want to fast forward us 10 years...Breath... breath....

Old 12-28-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
She's willing to leave early in mornings to either avoid the worst of it or allow enough time if it is really this bad going east.
Using her car, leaving at 6-630 she'd probably get there at 730-8. Come home early afternoon and if lucky, maybe 90 minutes home.

Lawndale, CA to riverside, ca - Google Maps

Old 12-28-2009, 08:05 AM

Hmmm... I need to re-read thread. My concern was, that even though traffic maps showed these times, that it was going to be a 3 hour drive each way.

Just really hoping we haven't totally screwed up. Just signed a lease on house and from threads on this site, I'm wondering. But that's another post.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Hmmm... I need to re-read thread. My concern was, that even though traffic maps showed these times, that it was going to be a 3 hour drive each way.

Just really hoping we haven't totally screwed up. Just signed a lease on house and from threads on this site, I'm wondering. But that's another post.

It could be three hours one way at rush hour. But, like I wrote, if she leaves at 6AM, it's probably more like 75-90 minutes.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:06 AM

This will be our hope. Driving will be best option, that she'll allow 2.5 hours, yet normally arrive and hour early. And that afternoon drive home will also not be TOO bad as she's heading west, not east. We'll see.
Lastly, I am amazed at how awesome the people are on this site. The activity alone, is invaluable. Thanks all. And yes, if you think of more to add, please do! Otherwise, I'll give update in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles