Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:51 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times

Advertisements

Charles,

A lot of people here won't rent to people with pitbulls and other breeds. Additionally, the city or county passed some laws in the last few years regarding neutering and some other things. (I'm not up on the laws since I don't own dogs, only cats.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:30 PM

304 posts, read 931,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighwinters View Post
I know I want out of Denver for awhile. I am looking into Atlanta, GA or Los Angeles, CA. Frankly, I am sick of the snow!! Although the mountains are breath taking and the night sky awe inspiring, I would like a change for awhile. I thrive on cultural events, new experiences, and fast paced cities. One of my girl friends here in Denver is also looking to escape the Mile High for awhile. We would both be transfers within our company, so finding employment is not a concern.

We want to live in a house with a yard, as we each have dogs. We prefer to find a place with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Does a place like this exist for 2k a month rent? If so, do these places exist in a safe area? We're not looking to live in total suburbia, as we are both currently home owners in a suburb of Denver.

Also, we are not concerned with drive time as our current commutes are 30minutes to an hour each way daily. Any advice is helpful. Thanks in advance.
------------------------------------------------
Welcome to either city! I know both well.

LA - You can rent a house for $2000 but not in a super area nor in a close in hood. Most of those would be apts, not single family homes.

Where is your company located?

That will determine where to live. Transportation here is a humongous issue. There are homes all around LA that could meet your criteria but where your commute goes to is key in knowing what section to look for property.

ATL is more affordable but the summer weather is really sticky. The people are sweet, for the most part. It is a good party town but nothing beats LA in terms of entertainment.

Having said all that: your work location is key to this search for you.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:26 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
Do not get rid of your dogs! Don't listen to the others. Do you have any idea how many sweet dogs get killed every single day in animal shelters?!?! Every year in the US over 4,000,000 dogs are killed! Please I urge you to keep your dogs. There are places where you are allowed to have them. My in-laws have two dogs and they lived in a town home.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:41 PM

6 posts, read 11,792 times
I would and could never get for my dogs, they are my babies! And yes, they are a terrific way to meet people. I have Chi's, so they are pretty little. I have been to LA during rush hour and I know it is awful, but the disgustingly optimistic part of me really does enjoy the time alone.

If my friend decides not to go, I would then be willing to consider an apartment. What kind of place can I afford on $1k-$1400 a month? I really like locations with lofts, do those exist much in LA?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If both Atlanta and L.A. are truly equal to you, go for Atlanta. Your life will be so much easier.
Really? Our close friend's brother and sister in law and family just relocated here from Atlanta (after 15 years) and said they were so happy to be back....weather wise, people wise and opportunity-wise. But that may just be their situation.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
You should be able to find an apartment with Chi's. Most little dogs are easier to find apartments for (provided they are fixed). Large dogs are rougher but if it's a gentle breed (like a Lab or a Golden) you can still find places that will accept dogs.

I wouldn't get rid of the dogs either.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:41 AM

6 posts, read 11,792 times
Yes, my pups are definitely fixed. Part of the pet adoption programs here and I voluntarily fixed one other when he went on a mounting frenzy. I'm aware of housing costs, gas costs, what what am I to expect in the difference as they relate to food costs? I've recently switched to a more natural and organic diet, will I be able to find stores that sell these goods?

Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 PM

25 posts, read 78,485 times
You can get a small (850 sq feet) soft loft in downtown, for $1400 a month. But no yard, no convenient shopping, etc. Downtown LA isn't like NYC.
And you know that unemployment in LA is very high, right?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 AM

70 posts, read 166,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighwinters View Post
I have commuted from Colorado Springs to Denver daily, again...I am completely A-Okay with traffic. I have also commuted from Arvada to Littleton...both in rush hour. I take it as an opportunity to listen to language CDs. Please, don't assume that I dont understand traffic or mind it. I'm comfortable with an hour drive in any direction.

I'd like to be within half an hour of a decent beach (as far as it goes for LA anyway) walking distance to shops, bars, and eateries, and a 24 hour fitness. Public transportation isn't a must but it would be nice. I would like a somewhat hip area that is also safe to walk my dogs at night.

As for where I will be working, I will be securing a job based on the area that I move to. Neighborhood first, job within an hour next.
I'd try Santa Monica first. You can walk to the beach, 3rd street promenade, great restaurants. The only bad thing about it is that you're kind of locked in by the 405, so if you want to hang out in WeHo it can be a pain.

Your next best bet would be West Hollywood since it's right in the middle of everything. After 8pm, it's a 20 minute drive to Santa Monica (take Olympic) and a 20 minute drive to Hollywood (take Fountain).

The South Bay beaches are also nice, but I found them to be too isolated (Manhattan is the most expensive, Hermosa is kind of frat-like, and Redondo seems more family-oriented). It took about an hour and a half for me to get from Hollywood (Sunset & Highland) to the beach when I lived there. From what I remember, there are only 2 or 3 routes you can take over the hill to those beaches (other than the freeway, which I NEVER took).

You can check out rentals here: Los Angeles Apartments, Orange County Apartments, and San Diego Apartments

That's the site everyone used when I was living there. The good thing is that you won't be locked into an apartment for more than a year. If you make a mistake, just move again. It's easier to move 10 minutes away than it is to move 1,000 miles. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:41 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If both Atlanta and L.A. are truly equal to you, go for Atlanta. Your life will be so much easier.
I agree. Go to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles