Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 11,780 times

Advertisements

I know I want out of Denver for awhile. I am looking into Atlanta, GA or Los Angeles, CA. Frankly, I am sick of the snow!! Although the mountains are breath taking and the night sky awe inspiring, I would like a change for awhile. I thrive on cultural events, new experiences, and fast paced cities. One of my girl friends here in Denver is also looking to escape the Mile High for awhile. We would both be transfers within our company, so finding employment is not a concern.

We want to live in a house with a yard, as we each have dogs. We prefer to find a place with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Does a place like this exist for 2k a month rent? If so, do these places exist in a safe area? We're not looking to live in total suburbia, as we are both currently home owners in a suburb of Denver.

Also, we are not concerned with drive time as our current commutes are 30minutes to an hour each way daily. Any advice is helpful. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 01:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighwinters View Post
We would both be transfers within our company, so finding employment is not a concern.

Also, we are not concerned with drive time as our current commutes are 30minutes to an hour each way daily.

Where would you be commuting to?

HousingMaps

MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

Old 12-28-2009, 04:05 PM

I know it sounds silly, but that has yet to be determined. I often see openings all over the metro area, and so I had hoped to isolate a couple of areas that would suit my interests and needs and then look at openings in that area. The company I work for has locations nearly everywhere.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:34 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
3 bed/2 bath house with yard "in the city" for $2K or less does not exist.

What else would you like? Anything with a yard for less than $2K is going to be "very suburban" which means "very far outside of LA."

Just to give you some reference for commute times -- a 30 minute commute means you live within 10 miles of where you work (though in some areas, that could be an hour commute).

Old 12-28-2009, 04:38 PM

What about town house options? When you say suburban, what cities are you referring to? What can I expect to pay for a 2 bed 2 bath house/townhouse? Are there carriage houses with small yard space ever available and if so, what can I expect to pay for that?

As for commutes, I work 15 miles from my home and the commute takes me 45 minutes in good traffic, so that really is not a concern at all.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:24 PM

First you should pick an area you want to live in. The Los Angeles area is something like 500 square miles, so it's huge! The most expensive areas are close to the beach and close to downtown. The farther inland you go, the cheaper it gets.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:43 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
First you should pick an area you want to live in. The Los Angeles area is something like 500 square miles, so it's huge! The most expensive areas are close to the beach and close to downtown. The farther inland you go, the cheaper it gets.
I have to agree with this, try to narrow down an area. There are lots of areas of the southland where I would live and lots I would not. My list is not going match others. It all depends on what you are after.

Are you looking for a nightlife? Museums and culture? Bicycling, hiking? Lake sports? Ocean sports? Desert, mountain, beach? Quiet neighborhoods or "happening" spots?

Do you like moderate temperatures or heat in the summer and cool winters?

Near public transportation? Near airports?

LA is bigger than just the city or even LA County. You can expand your search out to Ventura or Orange County

Old 12-28-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
LA is bigger than just the city or even LA County. You can expand your search out to Ventura or Orange County
Ha! You can get on a freeway and drive for two hours (on a weekend) and be "in the LA area" the entire time. Forget about the border lines you see on maps. Those are just there to tell you which police department will show up if you call 911.

Seriously, "the LA area" includes Orange County, San Bernardino County, Riverside County, etc. Some people even commute to LA from Bakersfield and San Diego.

My original statement about "3 bedroom houses with a yard" applies to more central areas of LA -- from Santa Monica to downtown LA.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:16 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighwinters View Post
What about town house options? When you say suburban, what cities are you referring to? What can I expect to pay for a 2 bed 2 bath house/townhouse? Are there carriage houses with small yard space ever available and if so, what can I expect to pay for that?

As for commutes, I work 15 miles from my home and the commute takes me 45 minutes in good traffic, so that really is not a concern at all.
I don't think you fully grasp the commute problems. Imagine commuting from Fort Collins or Co Springs to Denver daily(or even Co Springs to Fort Collins), then you may have some idea of the scope of commutes here. If not a city/neighborhood, at least provide some idea of where in which county your job is in. For instance, Lakewood meets your housing needs, but it won't do you any good if your job is in Glendale.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 PM

I have commuted from Colorado Springs to Denver daily, again...I am completely A-Okay with traffic. I have also commuted from Arvada to Littleton...both in rush hour. I take it as an opportunity to listen to language CDs. Please, don't assume that I dont understand traffic or mind it. I'm comfortable with an hour drive in any direction.

I'd like to be within half an hour of a decent beach (as far as it goes for LA anyway) walking distance to shops, bars, and eateries, and a 24 hour fitness. Public transportation isn't a must but it would be nice. I would like a somewhat hip area that is also safe to walk my dogs at night.

As for where I will be working, I will be securing a job based on the area that I move to. Neighborhood first, job within an hour next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles