Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:18 PM

234 posts, read 707,945 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm in the University of Alabama Million Dollar Band, so I'll be visiting LA in about a week. We'll be staying at the Sheraton Universal City so I was wondering if anyone could give me a few suggestions of things that I should definitely see in the area.

I'm used to subways in large cities so taking a train isn't a problem, though I'd prefer to not go any further than a few stations on the red line. I've already decided that I'm probably going to try to go to Hollywood/Vine and Hollywood/Highland since they're obviously easily accessible from the subway.

Any suggestions are very appreciated. Also, if there are any places that I should avoid at all costs, either because they're unsafe or just completely lame, please let me know.

Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 04:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
You are going to Universal Studios Tour, right?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You are going to Universal Studios Tour, right?
We're doing a pep rally at Universal, then we get to do whatever we want in the park after that. So... yes?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:00 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,445 times
You could also take the Red Line to downtown. If you are into sports you can see Staples Center and buy some Lakers paraphernalia there. Across the street is LA Live which has an ESPN Zone, Lucky Strikes bowling alley and bar, a host of restaurants, stadium seating movie theatre, and the Nokia Club and Theatre.

And if you really want to get adventurous you could take a bus either down Santa Monica Blvd. or Wilshire Blvd. (both accessible from Red Line) and go to Santa Monica so you can see the beach.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:16 PM

23 posts, read 96,695 times
You're right, the Hollywood Vine and Highland stations are good places to check out. You can look for celebrities while you hang out in that shopping center, check out the mann chinese theater, the hollywood walk of fame, etc.

I used to take the red line every day to work. The only other interesting places that jump out of my head would be the 7th St./Metro Center station which would take you to downtown LA (if you're interested in shopping), or maybe Union Station which is across the street from Olvera Street, and close to Chinatown and Little Tokyo.

As for Universal Studios...the park is boring (to me). Then again, I prefer riding rides than seeing behind the scenes of shows. Universal Citywalk is a nice place to hang out, though. There's an IMAX theater, indoor skydiving thing, restaurants, shops, and a club (I think).

Old 12-31-2009, 05:27 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what to do. another idea is take the subway a bit further to the vermont/sunset station and take the DASH bus up to the griffith park observatory. the views up there are amazing and there is a cool museum/show to check out as well. downtown is also cool and you can ice skate outdoors at pershing square which also has a subway station. besides that, downtown probably won't be very exciting for college students unless you're into architecture and high rise buildings.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
You could also take the Red Line to downtown. If you are into sports you can see Staples Center and buy some Lakers paraphernalia there. Across the street is LA Live which has an ESPN Zone, Lucky Strikes bowling alley and bar, a host of restaurants, stadium seating movie theatre, and the Nokia Club and Theatre.

And if you really want to get adventurous you could take a bus either down Santa Monica Blvd. or Wilshire Blvd. (both accessible from Red Line) and go to Santa Monica so you can see the beach.
I'm actually very interested into going into downtown. Typically, how crowded do things get? I'm not much of a bowler, but I'd definitely like to check out the ESPN Zone and Staples Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan View Post
You're right, the Hollywood Vine and Highland stations are good places to check out. You can look for celebrities while you hang out in that shopping center, check out the mann chinese theater, the hollywood walk of fame, etc.

I used to take the red line every day to work. The only other interesting places that jump out of my head would be the 7th St./Metro Center station which would take you to downtown LA (if you're interested in shopping), or maybe Union Station which is across the street from Olvera Street, and close to Chinatown and Little Tokyo.

As for Universal Studios...the park is boring (to me). Then again, I prefer riding rides than seeing behind the scenes of shows. Universal Citywalk is a nice place to hang out, though. There's an IMAX theater, indoor skydiving thing, restaurants, shops, and a club (I think).
Is Union Station in the CBD? What kind of shopping is there, surrounding Union Station?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what to do. another idea is take the subway a bit further to the vermont/sunset station and take the DASH bus up to the griffith park observatory. the views up there are amazing and there is a cool museum/show to check out as well. downtown is also cool and you can ice skate outdoors at pershing square which also has a subway station. besides that, downtown probably won't be very exciting for college students unless you're into architecture and high rise buildings.
Haha, BRinSM, I'm actually majoring in Urban and Regional Planning, so I'd actually love to take a trip downtown.

I would love to go up to that park if there are views of downtown. I'll have to research that place a bit.

Keep'em comin if y'all don't mind! I really appreciate your help!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:25 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
I agree with the downtown suggestions. It's a quick ride, and very interesting, especially if you're interested in cities.

Union Station isn't in the main downtown area, but it's close. It's across from Olvera Street, though, which is fun; it's a blend of touristy old Mexico stuff mixed in with some of LA's earliest history. It's fun, and I think worth a visit. Union Station is attractive and worth a visit itself, too. It's not really somewhere you go for shopping, though, although it's within easy walking to the stores of Chinatown.

Staples Center bores me, but to each his own. Check out Broadway, if you have a chance; Grand Central Market is a great place to grab lunch or a snack, and Broadway is usually packed with people. Also, for a true LA experience, head over to the Fashion District and Santee Alley. Then again, I love downtown and typically dragged all visitors there to walk around and soak up the street life. Places like the Toy District, Fashion District, and Broadway are very vivid proof that LA does indeed have street life. (although not of the overly sanitized Universal City variety). If you're interested in getting a sample of what's available downtown, check out this helpful tour site (with photos) from USC's department of Geography.

When you go to Hollywood try getting off at one station then walking down Hollywood Blvd and catching the subway back from the other station. The most interesting aspects of Hollywood are between the Vine and Highland Stations, and you'll miss out if you only hang around in the space right around the station itself. It's not a long walk between the two. If you're in Hollywood on a Sunday (before 1 pm) check out the Hollywood Farmers Market; it's centered along Ivar (just west of Vine) and in addition to the standard produce stalls has live music, tons of stalls selling hot/prepared food, and GREAT people watching.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:38 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
union station is not in the cbd, but it's only a couple of stops away from that area on the subway. if you head down that way, you can take the red line to union station and walk a few short blocks to olvera street, then a few more short blocks to chinatown. also, if you've got time, i also recommend taking the gold line up to pasadena and see the old town. shopping up there is better there than anywhere in LA proper near a train station.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:46 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
If you take the bus, go down Wilshire and right before Fairfax (this is called the Miracle Mile District) are the LA County Museum, the La Brea tar pits and the Page Museum with all the dinasour bones.

LACMA Home

Page Museum - La Brea Tar Pits

On LaBrea Avenue south of Hollywood Blvd., you just have to go to Pink's Hot Dogs. This is a very famous landmark, not to be missed.

Pink's Hot Dogs

Another great eating place for tourists, is In 'N Out Burger and there is one in Hollywood at 7009 Sunset Blvd. Out of towners love this burger joint.

In-N-Out Burger - Welcome

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles