Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:20 PM

55 posts, read 179,904 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I accepted a job on the Paramount lot and it begins in February. I haven't been to Los Angeles before, and I would like to live close-by because I have heard nothing about how bad the traffic is, and as someone coming from Chicago, I am kind of addicted to public transportation. I have found several apartments that look promising in Hancock Park, especially in the 4400-4900 blocks of Beverly. Is this a good area to be looking? I haven't really found anything about this area and would like any suggestions for safe areas in a close proximity Paramount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:18 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i would try to stay west of western. that area along beverly goes from extremely posh to very rundown in a matter of blocks. if you're looking for more hip areas, los feliz and silver lake are close by. taking the bus should probably be an option from either of those neighborhoods. unfortunately the subway doesn't have any stops near the paramount lot.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 PM

167 posts, read 435,047 times
Paramount is very close to Hollywood so you're probably going to go through traffic a lot. Anyplace in Hancock Park is great but it's also crazy expensive. Hancock Park is one of the more affluent neighborhoods in LA. Don't have the exact numbers but if you're making less than 80, 70, or 60k, its going to be hard to find a place around here. Apartments may be different but they may be more expensive than other parts of the city

Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 PM

I hope to get a shorter term lease, maybe 6 mo., until I get the feel of the city and can do some mroe exploring. I have talked to some folks who manage some properties within a half mile from Paramount along Van Ness and Beverly. Some of the complexes, from google earth, look to be on the outskirts of Raleigh Studios. Does anyone know if this area is alright? Really, at this point, I hope to live within walking distance to Paramount until I get a grip on driving, since I haven't really driven regularly my entire adult life.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:59 AM

422 posts, read 1,818,541 times
Hancock Park is a great area if you can afford it. In the immediate area of Paramount you can walk to some very nice areas and you can walk to some very sketchy areas. I am certain there is also easy bus access. Cruise the neighborhood and look for signs on streets you like. I'd say generally the farther you can get from the 101 the better. Remember, if every house on the street has bars on the windows/doors and an iron fence out front, there's probably a reason. Don't commit to anything sight unseen.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:23 AM

689 posts, read 2,581,241 times
Van Ness & Beverly is not Hancock Park, it's 6 or 7 blocks east of Larchmont Village which is a really nice area. Further east and south you get the worse the neighborhoods get, but these things can change in just 1 block. Try to stay in the vicinity of Larchmont and you will be close to Paramount and should be fine. Good plan to sign a 6 month lease and get a feel for the area.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:49 PM

Streetscenes, thanks for the info. I understand how alot of property management and real estate agents work as far as tacking on nicer adjacent neighborhoods when they advertise their properties. In Chicago it is pretty bad. I will definitely keep everything everyone is saying in mind.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:00 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,424 times
My friend is an actress and she lives literally across the street from Paramount studios to the South. She's lived there for over 7 years and hasn't had a problem at all. Even though apartments line the street there, they are all old with charm (some spanish, others tudor). The streets are tree lined and I don't get the vibe of the area being dangerous. Granted, there are some places with bars on their windows, but I wouldn't base the safety of an area solely on that. Burglaries can happen in even the nicest of neighborhoods.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:05 PM

again, thanks for the info. I have heard, from friends, alot about Echo Park. Can anyone give me any details about this neighborhood?

Old 12-21-2009, 01:09 AM

448 posts, read 1,605,424 times
I also have a close friend who lives in Echo Park. He constantly tells me that if you want to live there, you have to have thick skin. His garage gets tagged with spray paint at least once every 2 weeks and he always has his bucket of paint ready to cover it up. He hears gun shots every night and witnessed a homicide. He lives close to where Echo Park turns into Silverlake. If I were to base it on my two close friends (one who lives across from Paramount in Hollywood and my other friend who lives in EchoPark), I would say, stay in Hollywood.

My 2 cents. Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles