Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 02:22 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
Exactly...I'm from detroit, and the slums of Detroit make Compton look like Beverly Hills. lol but, this may have to do with appearance as well. Compton is still a part of Cali...and Cali has better landscaping and weather than the cold, harsh callous Detroit or other ghettos. one thing that Compton has over Detroit as far as violence goes is organized crime; the steady increase of gang affiliation there is not really prevelant in Detroit....there are some gangs in Detroit, but very few that are heavily connected and have a large network.
No - Compton is nowhere near Cali, Colombia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 07:24 PM

203 posts, read 577,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.diddy View Post
go to brazil and wilmington and get back to us lol
SMH. I used to go over there a lot in 2004-2005 when Game produced, and yeah...even there doesn't LOOK bad, but it was always active. It just felt a lot different from Gardena/Inglewood/South Central where I was used to being.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
Quote:
Posted by sajae90
Exactly...I'm from detroit, and the slums of Detroit make Compton look like Beverly Hills. lol but, this may have to do with appearance as well. Compton is still a part of Cali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No - Compton is nowhere near Cali, Colombia.
Eh?? Was that a joke? Or just what map are you reading?
Check again.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:16 PM

278 posts, read 546,546 times
I remember going to compton for the first time to visit my ex gilfriends grandfather i drove there from Phx in a rented civic. Anyway i parked in the streets and he told me to bring the car in and never park outside. It didnt look as bad as where i grew up here in manhattan ny. But then again it looks worse here yet i can walk around at 2am.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
[/i]

Eh?? Was that a joke? Or just what map are you reading?
Check again.
Cali, Colombia is in South America - Compton, California is in North America.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:12 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,368 times
i still don't get why people say the "cali is in colombia" thing. i know plenty of people that live in LA or from there and call it cali. must offend those out there still though lol.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
i still don't get why people say the "cali is in colombia" thing. i know plenty of people that live in LA or from there and call it cali. must offend those out there still though lol.
You know people who consider themselves natives and refer to their home state as "Cali"? I'm a native and I don't know any. Oddly, we can trace this to a guy from NY named James Smith, who was uncomfortable with his own name, so he changed it to LL Cool J. I'm going to refer to him as "Jimmy" from now on.

Ari, Ori, Washi,Texa, Flori, Illi...its not offensive, it just sounds dumb.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 PM

203 posts, read 577,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
You know people who consider themselves natives and refer to their home state as "Cali"? I'm a native and I don't know any. Oddly, we can trace this to a guy from NY named James Smith, who was uncomfortable with his own name, so he changed it to LL Cool J. I'm going to refer to him as "Jimmy" from now on.

Ari, Ori, Washi,Texa, Flori, Illi...its not offensive, it just sounds dumb.
Philly sounds good though

Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
It's greasy kids' stuff. Difficult to take seriously any alleged adult who still says "cali".

Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 9,478 times
I actually moved from Detroit to the Crenshaw area(west side) then Compton..any so called ghetto in California is a resort in comparison to places in the D...I know it's crime,gangs,etc.. in Compton,but believe it or not,I felt safer there than on the Westside..in L.A.you have so many pockets of shadyness,that it's hard to know all the places to avoid..stuff can happen anywhere..in Compton,you knew exactly where to stay away from.I never felt unsafe.it was quiet,working class people that mainly kept to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles