Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:43 AM

672 posts, read 2,174,512 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Mexican areas of Los Angeles, and, to me, it seems like the kids are Americanizing just fine. Every kid who grows up in Los Angeles, even if they live in a completely Mexican area, learns English and wants to know English. They skateboard and bike and listen to whatever pop, rap or punk is going on. They are Americans in their own way. Of course they feel strong ties to their parents' home countries: most 1st gen do.

This wave of immigrants will be the same as every wave of immigrants. Immigrants: don't assimilate. 1st gen are are bicultural and may retain some their parents' language. 2nd gen are American and probably don't retain their grandparents' language.

But of course they are going to change America: every group that comes here changes America. America will become more Mexican. But they will certainly be changed by America as well. I'm white and it eat at Taco Bell. Kids in East LA wear green on St Patrick's day. So it goes.

If you want to see how it all works, all you have to do is wander the communities of LA. Maywood and Cudahy and Westlake: immigrant. Boyle Heights: 1st gen. Montebello and Pico Rivera: 2nd gen. Now go to Montebello and Pico Rivera and look for a hunger to create Aztlan: you won't find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 12:57 PM

422 posts, read 1,818,541 times
Gotta laugh at the folks who take this Aztlan stuff seriously. History -- not to mention the Indians who lived on this continent before any white man -- will tell you that a minority can become the majority in any region, regardless of what the current, hysterical inhabitants want. Politics and conquest have nothing to do with it. If you're worried, I suggest you move or learn to speak Spanish because the Latino population in Southern California is NOT going to suddenly start shrinking. And a few generations from now, it'll be another group.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
But of course they are going to change America: every group that comes here changes America. America will become more Mexican.
Heck, now that I think about it, in some ways, things may be less Mexican than they were when I was a kid. Back then Spanish was THE dominant second language taught in school (NO ONE learned Mandarin!) and "ethnic food" was mostly Mexican / Tex-Mex / Cal-Mex!

I fear we may be losing that!

FWIW.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:49 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
He's more interested in being a celebrity and living a celebrity lifestyle than in actually governing. Acting would've been a better career for him.
He must have heard you. His true calling perhaps?
Villaraigosa tries acting opposite Susan Lucci!

Old 01-17-2010, 01:42 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I am white and my wife is a Sexican. Her parents were born in Mexico and came here amazingly legal. Imagine that. With hundreds of relatives here in the California area from as far north to Fresno and on down into the LA area I have found that over time those that are second or 3rd generation think differantly of those that are coming now. I would never call anyone a chedder but I have heard the term at family gatherings with some of teenage set. After a while things change and everyone becomes Americanized to some extent. Then they lauph at those that are differant then them even though they may not be that differant.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:58 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,409,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am white and my wife is a Sexican. Her parents were born in Mexico and came here amazingly legal. Imagine that. With hundreds of relatives here in the California area from as far north to Fresno and on down into the LA area I have found that over time those that are second or 3rd generation think differantly of those that are coming now. I would never call anyone a chedder but I have heard the term at family gatherings with some of teenage set. After a while things change and everyone becomes Americanized to some extent. Then they lauph at those that are differant then them even though they may not be that differant.
Um...what? I'm trying to debate whether you did that purposely or not. I'm assuming you meant to type in the word Mexican, but the "M" and "S" keys are pretty far away from each other.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Um...what? I'm trying to debate whether you did that purposely or not. I'm assuming you meant to type in the word Mexican, but the "M" and "S" keys are pretty far away from each other.
Got that term from a good friend that has that written on the back of her Mini. My wife is a Sexi Mexican and figure I will use the term for her. lol

Old 01-17-2010, 02:54 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,409,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Got that term from a good friend that has that written on the back of her Mini. My wife is a Sexi Mexican and figure I will use the term for her. lol
What does the Sexi part mean? Does it mean sexy?

Old 01-17-2010, 03:00 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
What's a chedder?

Old 01-17-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
What does the Sexi part mean? Does it mean sexy?
Ok, Ok I think it is time for me to go to bed. The brain is drained. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles