Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa's Neighbor View Post

It sounds like you're doing nothing wrong, you're staying in the right lane and doing the speed limit (and despite what some would say, a speed LIMIT is not a minimum, it's a maximum), and if you need to merge left to change roads or take a left exit, you're entitled, just stay at the speed limit or as close to it as conditions and your skill level allow. If someone has a problem with that, tough, it's 10 seconds out of their life, and just because they're more aggressive doesn't make them right.
She said she slows down to 40 mph where the 605 FWY curves north of the 10 FWY. That is below the legally allowed "slow" speed of 45mph(ie you must be driving at least 45mph on the freeway when traffic is not impedded.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:38 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
She said she slows down to 40 mph where the 605 FWY curves north of the 10 FWY. That is below the legally allowed "slow" speed of 45mph(ie you must be driving at least 45mph on the freeway when traffic is not impedded.)
I take that back, I think it might be at 45 mph instead of 40. I don't even know what or where the 10 freeway is, I never mentioned that freeway. All I know is the 405, 605, 5 and 101 all heading towards Hollywood from OC. I have never been on the 10 freeway.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:55 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Even in the right lane, going 45 creates the potential for a lot of accidents as people try to get around you. When you're stuck behind someone going 45 and the next lane over is going 60+ and packed with cars, its very frustrating and dangerous to get over. Now multiply that by hundreds of cars a day. I'm surprised someone hasn't shot at you yet.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
To the OP: Sorry about waving my fist at you.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:37 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I drive REALLY slow down at the curves, I feel like if I go faster than 40mph I will go into the wall and crash or lose control and I'm sweating and sitting up straight the whole time without being able to lean back in my chair because I am so tense.

I feel like the cars behind me want to RUN ME OFF THE ROAD because I'm going soooo slow at the curve but I feel like if I go faster I am going to get in an accident. I don't feel comfortable going any faster at the curve. I feel like everyone behind me is ANGRY at me for going so slow but I am only going so slow because that's all I can handle, I can't maneuver the car around a curve any faster!

Anyone else have this problem?
What kind of car are you driving? A small car like an old four cylinder Corolla is scary to drive on LA freeways. Get something fast,safe,comfortable and with excellent handling and driving will become enjoyable.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,023 times
What is so hard about driving on LA freeways? The only thing i really notice is traffic makes it hard to drive...... As for curves, just turn your steering wheel gradually while maintaining your speed.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:42 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Even in the right lane, going 45 creates the potential for a lot of accidents as people try to get around you. When you're stuck behind someone going 45 and the next lane over is going 60+ and packed with cars, its very frustrating and dangerous to get over.
Bingo. You are probably increasing your likelihood of being involved in an accident by slowing down to unnecessarily slow speeds. A general rule of thumb is to try to match the flow of traffic... if their cars can all handle it then so can yours.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:04 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
In all seriousness (sorry to the OP if my sarcastic post put you off), I think it may be a phobia. I have referred in the past to some things I call "wallophobia" (fear of the concrete divider in places with minimal / no shoulder or construction) and "truckapassophobia" (fear of passing a semi).

These are variations on a theme. Namely, the perception of proximity of a wall / side of a semi trailer / side of another car.

Some people are seemingly very afraid of any proximity less than about 10 feet.

I suggest therapy.

Seriously.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
What kind of car are you driving? A small car like an old four cylinder Corolla is scary to drive on LA freeways. Get something fast,safe,comfortable and with excellent handling and driving will become enjoyable.
I drive an 05 Mercedes Benz CLK. An E-class would probably be more solid but I like driving a smaller car because I'm small myself. My car is pretty fast (I never drive it fast though but I'm sure it could go fast if someone else drove it), safe (Benz is considered one of the safest cars), and comfortable with excellent handling and I still have problems driving it on the freeway. I have no problem driving it on inside streets or on the 405S going to Costa Mesa, I only have problems in Los Angeles for some reason because the freeways are narrower.

Sorry, I don't like Cadillacs, not my style.

Last edited by jackie100; 01-08-2010 at 05:29 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
What is so hard about driving on LA freeways? The only thing i really notice is traffic makes it hard to drive...... As for curves, just turn your steering wheel gradually while maintaining your speed.
I actually like being stuck in traffic because I don't mind going slow. It doesn't bother me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles